When is the catching of 2 fish called a 'Brace'?

Guest Gaffer

Guest Gaffer

When is the catching of 2 fish called a brace?

Is it one after another with none in between?

Is it 2 fish caught in a session and what if the session is a week long?

What is the maximum time gap between each capture for it to be a 'Brace'?

Does anyone know?

------------------

All the best,

Gaffer

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 21 June 2001).]

Guest Chris Shaw

Hmmm, the word brace just means a pair. It is more commonly a word assiociated to game birds, iE: A brace of pheasants etc. It seems it is just a word used in game fishing/shooting for 2 as you say.

Now the history.

The word brace comes from middle English for pair, from middle French for two arms. There is also something from the Latin but I will leave that one, but it means the same thing.

Brace used as a plural means two of a kind.

Hope that helps.

------------------

Chris Shaw

They played on while the reel handles spun in unison.

Guest Jonty

"They played on while the reel handles spun in unison."

Is that a pair of spinners, or a brace, Chris ??

Jonty

Guest Vagabond

To go back to Gaffer's original point, IMO "a brace" means two fish of the same species, caught consecutively on the same session. A session ends when you stop fishing to sleep, eat, go to the pub, etc. No way can a "session" last a week ! As far as I am concerned I fish a morning session, eat my lunch, fish an afternoon session, have tea, fish an evening session and so on. A night session ends at dawn with breakfast ! Three fish in a session are called a leash (also three hounds, three hares etc)

There was a professional cricketer (I forget his name) who took the last two wickets of a match in succesive balls. Next day he got injured in practice and spent two YEARS out of the game. When he returned, he took a wicket first ball - and claimed a hat trick!

On a more serious note, there are "names" out there who became "famous" for huge catches, amassed in several keepnets over a week or so of continuous fishing, and presented by the comics as one "fantastic session". This practice needs discouraging. I have even heard one of these guys endorsing a keepnet ban ! Hypocrisy or what ?

------------------

Vagabond

Guest eddie turner

in pike fishing a "brace" refers generally to fish over the magic 20lb barrier. a brace would be two different fish caught in the same day....the same fish caught twice in my book dos'nt qualify as a brace.

Guest eddie turner

in pike fishing a "brace" refers generally to fish over the magic 20lb barrier. a brace would be two different fish caught in the same day....the same fish caught twice in my book dos'nt qualify as a brace.

Guest eddie turner

Guest Keith

Eddie,

we heard you the first time! smile.gif

Right enough though - to me, "brace" conjures up two [of a given thing] caught or shot or trapped or howsoever obtained, at the same time, or at least displayed or presented together.

One fish caught twice can't be a brace in that case - the OE dictionary says a brace is a pair (no sniggering at the back...)

------------------

Yours,

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland

mailto:keith@go-fishing.co.ukkeith@go-fishing.co.uk

http://www.wacac.co.uk

Guest phonebush

Tisk Tisk,

Gentlemen, I am an expert on the brace. That is what I have paid dearly for on my precious grandchildrens teeth! When they get both upper and lower the plurl is invoked - braces.

Phone

In the US midwest it is a term used in hunting for two birds on the same shouldering of the shotgun. ie. two quail, two chucker.

Throwing sporting clays, you can request a brace from certain stands.