Travel Uptide

Severn Wolf

I`m really struggling to find a travel uptide rod for trolling for Nile Perch on Nasser. I`ve recently come back after using an Abu Conolon 15-20lbs but felt it was undergunned when a few very big fish clamped down on the lures resulting in a squashed Ernie and no hook ups! The rod just didn`t seem to have the power to set big hooks at range.

So, does anyone know of or can recommend a decent rod please? It has to fit into a suitcase, I`m not a fan of separate rod tubes as they have a habit of falling off airport conveyors and vanishing

wolf.gif

I was running 65lb braid mate so got instant contact. These fish have such powerful jaws that they can clamp down on a lure, turn away, decide they don`t want it and just spit the thing out. Sometimes you get lucky and hook `em, most times you don`t!

Been looking at these rods:

TRL Bunker Spoon

Does anyone have experience with these rods?

wolf.gif

Hi Severn Wolf.

I caught a 100 Lb Tarpon with this rod, set the hook into a boney jaw.

Using this rod, for the life of me cannot find another :mellow:

It will cast light weight lures / bait.

Dont think you will find the rod you thinking of usless you

go for one the American spinning rods the use for sailfish. They cost mega bucks.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Wanted-...d-t1247569.html

Good luick and nice to see you still about ;)

1509tarpon_75_.gif

Severn,

Don't take this wrong. I go to coffee every day with 6 - 7 other retired "older" fishermen. Some live and breath angling for Musky, Tiger Musky and Northern Pike (similar fish to what your seeking I think?) in northern US and Canada. I'm a carp fisherman so you're hearing the conversation over coffee and laughter.

Your rod and line are fine. You are a WIMP. Unless you can break the line, your rod or jaw of the fish you're not setting the hook with enough gusto! If you have instant contact it's not the rod. It just happens!

The "top" Musky guy (among our coffee guys) uses g-Loomis but says he is just showing off cause he has the money in his retirement for very expensive toys.

Phone

• 3 weeks later...
Your rod and line are fine. You are a WIMP. Unless you can break the line, your rod or jaw of the fish you're not setting the hook with enough gusto! If you have instant contact it's not the rod. It just happens!

Phone

Very kind of you to say so Phone :rolleyes:

I would happily use a Musky as bait for the fish I`m after. Nile perch grow somewhat larger (only by a few hundred pounds though).

N4lly, the Bunker Spoon 25-50 arrived and I am incredibly impressed with it. Its got more tip strength that the Conolon but feels very well balanced and has got good reserves of power.

wolf.gif

See if you can pick up a Greys Popper Rod, though not strictly a travel rod it will fit in a suit case; I have used it for trolling for Sailfish and Vertical jigging as well as casting out big Poppers for Cubera Snapper.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.