Otter friend or foe

cannibalspinners

Tigger,

Admittedly, this comment may be "way off base" - just the fact it comes from me is enough really.

Nowhere on the planet do anglers "loose feed, chum, ground bait" or by whatever other it is called like anglers do in England. Just as that practice ARTIFICALLY concentrates the fish, it may also concentrate their predators.

Also, I don't think anyone is saying otter "can't" kill large fish. In fact, like catching a record fish for an angler, it becomes "big news" when a large fish falls to a predator.

When I first fished England and was told a lake owner paid a $1000 for a fish I lost a "beer bet" saying that it wasn't possible any carp in the world was to be worth a thousand dollars. See, how wrong I was? I may know a little about carp but I know NOTHING about carp farming in England.

I don't want anyone in business to loose livestock, cows or carp. Equally, it is difficult for me to condone eradication of a creature for profit.

Phone

How about the bat? They on the comeback yet?

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but he'd found two 15lb pike left on the bank, stomachs bitten open, but not much of the fish eaten.

That sounds like an angler (or poacher) with a "kill all pike" mentality, followed by an opportunist rat (four-legged variety)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I don't believe an Otter could begin to cope with a 15lb pike.

Anyway, I would far rather see Otters on the bank than not at all. For years, all I saw was Mink on the banks and they do actually kill indiscriminately and in numbers. Since the Otters have shown up again, the Mink have all but disappeared and not through numbers of Otters. I dare say scat and urine has moved a lot of these pests from their comfy homes.

I don't understand why many folk wish for an Otter cull anyway, when Mink had the run of the banks for decades. I can't ever recall anyone asking for a Mink cull. For that reason, I think that many just see the Otter as a 'new' predator, in the sense that it barely existed anywhere for decades. It's a bit like when Cormorants first appeared inland. The arrival of a 'new' predator is enough for some to form an opinion, wishing for the eradication of something, without grasping that have been far greater problems for fish, than the odd new mouth to feed.

I know waters suffer but on the whole, our waters do seem to be better managed. All these bold new steps take time to balance out. I'm sure the Otters will do just that and the everyone will forget about them, moving on to the next big fish killer, whatever that happens to be.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Andy,

I concur with your assessment 100% with this execption. No one wants to loose livestock if it is their livelyhood. I think commercials are justified is considering expensive fish as livestock. (Our big battle right now is with the re-introduction of "timber wolf packs" in the high plateau country of western US, they kill cattle.)

Now, do I have an otter answer for England? - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - No!!

Does anyone??

Phone

i cant wait for ospreys :thumbs:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

But it can, a 20 lb barbel,

I would like to see proof of that.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Well I have had a one to one with a Timber Wolf :o As a RAF dog handler we were gifted on from the USAF that could handle the thing. My section boss a certain Cpl Brian Fear took the King the 'Wolf' out of sight and kicked the bejeesus out of it, he saved Kings life, the 'dog' went on to be a top police dog and even was a member of the Elite dog team that performed shows for the public.

As a scrote I had the pleasure of King practising his stopping a 'criminal' thing, and he hurt, more than any other Alsation.

We all knew that King was a bit 'special' :D

I for one would have a great deal of pleasure in kicking the bejeesus out of Cpl Fear.

Dog trainers/ i've sh1t em :angry:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I would like to see proof of that.

Didn't you know, in the absence of otters, barbel are immortal, they never get old and weak and fall prey to natural predators. Even when hounded by repeat captures.