Otter friend or foe

cannibalspinners

the most smug reply I have ever witnessed................ distorting my comments to further enhance your bully boy status.

You are shouting, Rabbit, and (not for the first time) calling names. Its a fair indication you feel you are losing the argument and have reverted to what you do best.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bet thats what my local club thought when thay had two old 30lbers dragged up the banks and their throats eaten out. There is a good reason they were nearly extinct. Only my opinion but id rather see em as a good pair of slippers

Bet thats what my local club thought when thay had two old 30lbers dragged up the banks and their throats eaten out. There is a good reason they were nearly extinct. Only my opinion but id rather see em as a good pair of slippers

I think we can leave the Teme/Rabbit bits off the thread now, along with the insults that appear with them. If you want to continue that particular topic, do it in PMs, not on the forum.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Really don't enjoy patronising people Andy by having to negotiate every twist and turn of a discussion, I mean if someone comes up with a statement that Otter don't take fish over 3lb, you would expect them to at least research that :)

I only asked for evidence, which you provided later, which by the way wasn't that conclusive. You could have just done that in a simple sentence from the off.

I, by the way, believe otters probably can take fish over 3lbs. I just didn't and still don't belive they can take either 15lb pike or 20lb barbel.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

The fact that Adams Mill on the Ouse was decimated of it's record barbel in a relative short time, at the same time Otters were introduced that is pretty much proof that they had a hand (or paw) in it.

The remains of 20lb Barbel were there on the bank, together with a typical Otter wound. I see no reason at all why an adult Otter could not tackle such a fish.

'Proof' is an overstatement. T-M, do you know how many barbel have been found like this at any one stretch?

As far as I can see the main disagreement is whether otters can destroy a smaller barbel river, maybe not for ever, but until some sort of equilibrium is achieved .

On one hand, Vagabond, though being on the pro-otter side of the argument, gave a convincing (to me) argument why the supposed evidence that otters don't usually eat fish over 3lb is faulty, in that it was based on the bones they eat and they presumably wouldn't eat the bones of large fish.

The main evidence, as I understand it, for the anti-otter side is that on certain stretches of river there seems to be a strong consensus amongst the anglers that a) the barbel have disappeared and b ) that otters are the reason. Having said that, though I've heard stories of individual big barbel being left half eaten on the banks, I've never heard stories of, say, 20 dead barbel being found. And could a complication be that some stretches could have lost their barbel through their moving to a different stretch out of fear of the otters?

Would it be fair to say there is a distinct lack of clear evidence for either side?

Edited by The Flying Tench

john clarke

You have to say friend.

They remove the sick, dying, diseased and Old. Thus keeping only healthy stock in a particular environment.

The Fish always has the chance to evade capture.

I wouldn't have thought an Otter would take an exceptionally large fish but a Mink might.

Well I have been out too this afternoon, and a very good one too, 3 barbel to 10.04 and a few chub up to 4.8.

Oh good, so after the otters have massacred the barbel, your river has made a miraculous recovery then ?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...