Otter friend or foe

cannibalspinners

Sportsman,

Not much of a challange - - - even the Yanks caught on.

Phone

so far its people for otters and people against otters,

An even split

I should of made it a Poll

, I am for them overall

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carp? none at all unless you're hungry.
I would have to be bloody starving. Should have just left it at none at all mate ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Just been watching 2 otters in the tweed , Targeting Diseased salmon with ( UDN )

Doing what they are here for then !

Edited by Andrew

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Just been watching 2 otters in the tweed , Targeting Diseased salmon with ( UDN )

I know these fish are weak but they are still strong & i was watching 1 otter dragging 1 salmon over the river , The fish itself was longer than the otter.

It took it to an island & started eating the salmon behind the neck

2 Mins later The same otter was back in & had another salmon , Of similar size & also dragged it accross to the island

Same thing happened again & it was back looking for more

The other otter was doing the same thing down stream from the bridge

I could still see the fish on the island , 1 of them was thrashing around whilst the other lay still

The river is full of salmon just now & many have the white patches all over them ( UDN ) disease

The otters seem to be loving it

Though these fish had not yet spawned

as a quick look with the binos & eggs were spewed all over the place

So an easy meal for the otter

But not great for future salmon stocks

AH now its diseased fish ,to get around the fact that salmon are difficult to get ashore if they are fit

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

as i said if otters were a threat to fish fish would have become extinct millions of years before man appeared because otters have been around far longer.

the trouble is fish are seen today as "ours" in rivers they are not even in the legal sense and those which are ours in ponds can be protected from otter predation with a simple thing called a fence

game fish were seen as being owned by owners of vast estates so any otter was killed ,nowadays large estates are in the minority so they have lost the power to kill otters ,"game" fishing makes a vast amount of money so excuses need to be found to excuse lord knobhead not catching anything after doshing out a £1000 quid for an afternoons fishing.

the reason the fish stocks are low is down to man and man alone ,probably some unseen thing from sewers because even when course fish were caught commercially here (not so long ago) and course fish were the only fish available (pre trains) there was plenty for all and we had more otters than now

if you see an otter the chances are the rivers not declining ,if they stay there its even better

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

If the Otter has improved bio diversity then fine, if the findings are inconclusive then perhaps we should wait and see before forming a judgement on the Otter friend or foe.

Well, they've been here for 30 million years, how much longer do we need to wait? They are not an introduced species. They have always been here. We have only been here for about 3 million years.

To me, an otter eating a fish is the same as a spider eating a fly.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The amount of money some fisheries spend on acquiring good quality carp up my end is outstanding. What good are they?

Maybe they could spend it on fencing instead and allow their carp to breed and grow on naturally?

teme man, i do accept that if the fish were diseased, then the otter was doing its job, just like any other hunting animal.

I have watched with disgust healthy fish ( well they looked healthy ) being part eaten and speared by fish eating birds.

So do you really think that Otter were introduced to single out all our dead or dying fish stocks?

Not at all, i never implied or said any such thing. I am no expert in such fields, LoL not an expert in many fields come to that. ;)

I dislike seeing any fish hurt, be it by anyone or anything. I have fluff chucked in the past, but i cannot bring myself to do the deed, nor when boat or beach fishing, i cannot do the dee, 9 times out of 10 the fish are returned in a healthy state.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Off topic a bit here.

A report on the BEEB mentioned that deer were eating that much leafs that the birds were dying out, whats your opinion on that.

And i do believe that the deer was an introduced species, just like the carp to this country.

“Vescere bracis meis”

They have never been protected from man until recently, which rather stacks up in their favour.

They were never brought to the brink of extinction by man until recently, which wasn't in their favour.

They are now recovering into a world which has once again been changed by humans. From the otters' point of view, there have NEVER been as many fish as there are now. Every little puddle is absolutely stuffed with fish. What can they be expected to do? It's quite ironic really, the people who shout loudest about the otter 'problem' are those which are contributing to the main factor in why they are recovering so well. Endless free, semi-tame, easy to catch food.

You can't mess around with nature in one place and expect everything else to stay the same.

If we are serious about reducing otter numbers, the first thing to do is shut down all the overstocked commercials.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music