Otter friend or foe

cannibalspinners

If we still had water quality policed by the same bodies responsible for treating sewers, our rivers would still be as filthy as they were in the 80's
I've a funny feeling our cleaning up our rivers was "forced" upon us by having to implement nasty European Directives.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/resea...ning/33106.aspx

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/water/wate...rsub/76_464.htm

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some say The Stig is actually an Otter and his webbed feet are made by Dunlop.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Some say The Stig is actually an Otter and his webbed feet are made by Dunlop.

I think we have had many intresting opinions on this subject ,Time to put it to bed i think

Thanks for ALL the replies Folks :thumbs:

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

• 2 months later...

:D

Just a little otter update

just spied 3 otters down my local river ( Tweed )

All sharing a large salmon

Not killed by them

but a salmon that had died

spawning

Nice to watch them all

having a feast

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

Absolutely. I am surprised no one has really responded to this. Its not just anglers who are in the countryside with cameras - bird watchers, wild-life enthusiasts, even casual walkers all carry some sort of camera. Some of them have the field-craft necessary to stalk/ambush and photograph a wild creature.

As one of our posters recently referred to the "myth" of otters preferring eels, I had a quick trawl via google, and came up with five seperate examples of pictures of otters eating eels.

By contrast, I could not find one single pictorial example of otters actually killing or eating barbel. Lots and lots and lots and lots of pictures of dead fish that might have died by any number of means, but no otter appeared in any of the pictures.

So, several pictures of otters eating eels (also one of an otter eating a coot) but none of Mr Lutra eating barbel - or any other large fish.

Admittedly, such pictures might be out there, but I couldn't find any - anyone else want to have a try?

Otters eating barbel is unnatural, because barbel being in the otters domain is unnatural. The way barbel have been artificially stocked in recent years, you might as well create an artificial chicken coup, introduce a fox, and then ponder why they couldn't co-exist

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Otters eating barbel is unnatural, because barbel being in the otters domain is unnatural. The way barbel have been artificially stocked in recent years, you might as well create an artificial chicken coup, introduce a fox, and then ponder why they couldn't co-exist

Oi dont go being sensible Andy! Could kill the whole debate! ;)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Oi dont go being sensible Andy! Could kill the whole debate! ;)

Not wishing to kill the debate by my own hand, but surely if common sense is the threat then this debate should be knocked on the head forthwith?

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Not wishing to kill the debate by my own hand, but surely if common sense is the threat then this debate should be knocked on the head forthwith?

Sadly with "emotive" issues like this it seems "commonsense" is the first thing out of the window and very quickly replaced by "lynch mob mentality".

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Sadly with "emotive" issues like this it seems "commonsense" is the first thing out of the window and very quickly replaced by "lynch mob mentality".

Yeah, agreed. All the more reason to stay true to your core beliefs and stand your ground. There's alot of militant anglers out there who seem very anxious to belittle others. But they don't represent me.