Otter friend or foe

cannibalspinners

Thank you for the welcome...but I would appreciate as to why you think my 'premise'is incorrect.
Ok I'm gonna bite. First of all the preferred food item of the European Otter is eels. An otter won't leave much of an eel.

The reason that otter are prone to catching a fish especially if that fish is a salmonid , eating a lump out the back of the fish at each side of the head just where the gills are is because the otter needs to get as much fat in it's diet as possible to get fat enough to survive the winter and that is where most of the fat is on a salmon or trout. Brown bears and Grizzlies do the same to fatten up for hibernation. Nothing in nature gets "wasted". Other creatures feed on the bounty of the otters leavings.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest redfin2
Ok I'm gonna bite. First of all the preferred food item of the European Otter is eels. An otter won't leave much of an eel.

The reason that otter are prone to catching a fish especially if that fish is a salmonid , eating a lump out the back of the fish at each side of the head just where the gills are is because the otter needs to get as much fat in it's diet as possible to get fat enough to survive the winter and that is where most of the fat is on a salmon or trout. Brown bears and Grizzlies do the same to fatten up for hibernation. Nothing in nature gets "wasted". Other creatures feed on the bounty of the otters leavings.

True nothing does get wasted, and I wasn't worrying that the carcass would go to waste, normally, but some time it does for what ever reason, when even carrion crows will leave it.

Agreed Otters do prefer eel, but when eels are not prolific the Otter has a comprehensive and varied menu option.

Guest redfin2
redfin,

You failed to say if, in your opinion, I was right?

Do you believe "otters often kill large fish"? Or, would it be more fair to say there are infrequent examples - - - - ?

I am not in the postition to "stir the otter pot" in GB. I am in the States. This thread is not one of science about otters, it is one of angler opinion and emotion about otters.

If I typed a thousand words do you think I have a "snowball's chance in hell" of changing any angler In GB's mind? That is the more important question.

Don't get me wrong, we all need excuses for blanking. Otters are good ones. I might add, the most effecient fish predator is erect on two legs. They "often" kill large fish - probably 100,000 : 1 or more over otters - that's often.

That too is OK with me. They are just fish.

I "often" think about sex - 5 or 6 times a day. Alas, I'm 75.

Phone

Is my opinion right? No probably not, it is an opinion after all, I suspect there is some truth in everyones opinion though :o It is a bit early for this I have to work even at my advanced years, and you are right in so many ways that the Otter thing is a very immotive subject, and for me I love to see all wild creatures doing what wild creatures do. That is one of the joys of fishing for me, be it a Kingfisher or an Otter, or in your case a Grizzly.

I don't need the Otter as an excuse for blanking, I can do that rather well on my own, but to be honest I think I would rather have them here than not.

You can have your Mink back now and thanks for that, they are delightful little so and so's and I have spent many an hour in their company.

You make a good point Phone, and I don't want to fall out over such a matter, I hear you Yanks can take Brutal reprisals in such matters on here :D

There's been seals up the river Ribble a few times now and you get anglers scare mongerring and saying they'll decimate the fish stock's.... What a load of bo!!ocks.

Those in the clips looked like pups to me.

Who was scare mongering?

Did I say they are decimating stocks?

Did I complain that the presence of Seals in my area kills a swim?

Who was being profane, not I.

I am merely referring to the fact Seals take big fish and that Seals inhabit areas of the UK far inshore.

Again in my area Seals have been seen in greater numbers.

The clips may be of pups, but if they are pups it goes to say the adults can tackle bigger fish.

Another thing people are forgetting is that certain eastern migrants are taking large quantities of fish from our rivers... :nono:

redfin,

One feature I like about angling in the US is that you are EXPECTED to lie (well, stretch the truth). That makes us all equal whilst fishing. Word like "often" are hot buttons.

While 20 lb salmon are not uncommon - neither are they common. They to say "often" 20 lb salmon are targeted by animals who don't target large fish in the first place (or fish at all!) was a stretch for me.

A 20 lb freshwater fish is a HUGE fish. Lots of guys - probably have never actually caught a 20 lb fish. It is quite an accomplishment really.

Phone

Most certainly a foe in my eyes. They have been destroying waters all around where I fish. I would hate to be a fishery owner and wake up one morning to a bank full of dead carp. The amount of money some fisheries spend on acquiring good quality carp up my end is outstanding. What good are they?

Most certainly a foe in my eyes. They have been destroying waters all around where I fish. I would hate to be a fishery owner and wake up one morning to a bank full of dead carp. The amount of money some fisheries spend on acquiring good quality carp up my end is outstanding. What good are they?

Carp? none at all unless you're hungry.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Who was scare mongering?

Did I say they are decimating stocks?

Did I complain that the presence of Seals in my area kills a swim?

Who was being profane, not I.

I am merely referring to the fact Seals take big fish and that Seals inhabit areas of the UK far inshore.

Again in my area Seals have been seen in greater numbers.

The clips may be of pups, but if they are pups it goes to say the adults can tackle bigger fish.

Another thing people are forgetting is that certain eastern migrants are taking large quantities of fish from our rivers... :nono:

Not bad, we got all the way to post 139 ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Just been watching 2 otters in the tweed , Targeting Diseased salmon with ( UDN )

I know these fish are weak but they are still strong & i was watching 1 otter dragging 1 salmon over the river , The fish itself was longer than the otter.

It took it to an island & started eating the salmon behind the neck

2 Mins later The same otter was back in & had another salmon , Of similar size & also dragged it accross to the island

Same thing happened again & it was back looking for more

The other otter was doing the same thing down stream from the bridge

I could still see the fish on the island , 1 of them was thrashing around whilst the other lay still

The river is full of salmon just now & many have the white patches all over them ( UDN ) disease

The otters seem to be loving it

Though these fish had not yet spawned

as a quick look with the binos & eggs were spewed all over the place

So an easy meal for the otter

But not great for future salmon stocks

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com