Otter friend or foe

cannibalspinners

What JV44 :o

No guess again ;)

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know any other sport or past-time that would take this as we have to, if it was Salmon, be assured there would not be an Otter problem.

Interesting point. Why isn't there a problem with otters and salmon?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Interesting point. Why isn't there a problem with otters and salmon?

Maybe salmon fishers go otter-hunting in the salmon close season ?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Aside from the tell tell half eaten carcass of course, of which there have been plenty of, in the case of Barbel.

Round my way every other Friday you will find all sorts of carcasses, nappies pizza boxes etc etc all over the road.

I'm pretty certain aliens are hunting and eating babies and pizza delivery men. Once the blighters seem to have caught prepared and roasted a chicken before eating it and leaving the carcass on the road.

I have shown this conclusive proof of aliens killing people and cooking chickens to the police but they did nothing!

How could there be any other explanation?

Outraged in Oxfordshire

Teme,

I'm appreciative that you accept my presents. I'm also appreciative you've at least toned down your claims from "all anglers" to "a majority over here". Next, I'm in hopes you can admit "a few radical pals and I" - think maybe but without proof-------? That's how you should begin outrageous statements. You know, uncommon claims require uncommon proof don't you?

I've had the pleasure of fishing your side of the pond on more than one occasion. Admittedly, only for carp. But my facination with all things Brit that are coupled with angling and the "internet" had made the world a rather small place hasn't it? My point being I am a voracious reader. Perhaps you can guide me to your "majority" opinion in the United Kingdom? I seriously doubt angling is so much different in the UK than elsewhere in the world until you need an "excuse". Worldwide angling is pretty much a stick with a hook on one end and an idiot on the other.

Also, could you direct me to some "studies" other than opinion - say like the scat surveys I posted - that indicate otter are predators of fish over 3 lbs (or fish at all)? The EA has run extensive studies but you don't seem to have an inclination for science.

Phone

I love watching our local otters in our river But they take many fish , Friend or Foe

Like any other Wild animal they are just trying to survive and have been for years, Yes they take fish bue so do mink and even Foxes will given half a chance, The only ones that moan and i mean really moan are the commercial Fishery owners who see their lively hood going down the drain , but if they are so bothered why don't they put up defences against them? Because it costs Money, But good luck to the Otters they were here long before Mr Fishery Owner came along and will be when he's gone, they don't know any different as i said they are only doing what comes natural for them to survive.

Imo, definitely Friend, much as has already been stated.

TM, we have crossed paths before. I'll leave it as 'I heartily disagree with you'.

Admittedly they could and do, cause havoc in overstocked commercials but I can't say I blame them.

The only problem is that 'carpists' are losing their natural habitat and encroaching on the habitat of the 'wild river angler' and the spoor of carpists is detrimental to the well being of the WRA...

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Otters naturally belong here. Any sort of fishing which relies upon the absence of otters does not naturally belong here. It's a pretty poor angler who is only interested in fake fishing.

There will be no cull of otters. If it comes down to angling or otters, it is angling which will go. Calling for a cull is the most stupid bit of public relations imaginable, it achieves nothing and makes us look terrible.

Stated in defence of the Otter?

Where :huh:

If you, as an Angler, can advise me as to the benefit of reintroducing such an apex predator to our small intimate Rivers than I will happily concede my stance.

Yes, in Defence of the Otter. Although I do acknowledge their impact as I would acknowledge any apex predators impact.

Just in conversation on here, don't worry, I'm not hunting you :lol:

I'm not an expert and of course, many fish will be eaten, more may even be scarred at best or fatally wounded at worst.

As far as I'm concerned, WE (man) hunted them to the brink, WE have now re-introduced them. Imo, we OWED them that much. (however I am not informed as to if they were 'introduced' anywhere?)

They will eventually balance themselves out, much as Zander have on the Fens. A natural level will return. Yes there will be hard times where Otters peak and Fish trough, followed by an Otter trough and Fish peaking once again, but much as the analogy, it will eventually calm and stabilise.

Now is the time to leave well alone and let nature run its course.

In terms of positivity for yourself, there is none I can testify to. In your area the benefits may be small or insignificant, but in Broadland I feel there will be a better balance once they have settled. Yes there has been a decline in stocks on the non-tidal reaches, but I 'believe' the fish stocks will recover in fairly short order. I want to believe though. That may be the key with regards this situation.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue