Tench Baits

Guest Elton

Guest matt_shaw

My local lake is packed full of tench. The only trouble being that i can't fish for them until June 16th frown.gif. However, as soon as that date comes i will be there trying to tempt a few tongue.gif

Personally i have found that tench need to be held in a swim with static baits, such as sweetcorn, pellets, caster and luncheonmeat. All this is over a bed of high-food content grounbait, such as Sensas 3000 Tench etc. I have found, sweetcorn and double red maggot to be a good gambling bait. By this i mean that you are certain to catch tench on them, if there are some in your swim. To attract tench, and this is only from experience in this one lake, i loose feed micro-pellets. This is because they are cheap and for your money you get thousands.

When you see fizzing in your swim, the tench have arrived, get ready for some weight lifting and elastic stretching action. biggrin.giftongue.gif

------------------

ECO Timber Panels, Barn Way, Lodge Farm Ind. Estate

The ECO - lodgical choice for wood

Tel. (01604) 759222 Find us at http://www.Yell.com/

Guest gray-catchpole

i aggree with nearly all you say matt, but dont wait for fizzing, ive caught tench all day long without seing so much as a pop on the surface, so waiting for the fizz can IMO lose you alot of fishing time.

------------------

gray-catchpole

http://catchpole.cjb.net

Guest Gaffer

1. 2x10mm Active-8

2. Luncheon meat dipped in Active-8 dip

3. Trout/Salmon pellet paste over Micro pellets

4. Trout/Salmon pellets

5. Pepperami over micro pellets

6. Sweetcorn (Scopex flavour)

7. Big juicy Lobs

8. Maggots

------------------

All the best,

Gaffer

Guest Bruno Broughton

If you could do so, you would score well by fishing a bait which is:-

a. as bright as possible (Day-Glo orange or

yellow)

b. as sweet as possible (dip in liquid honey

or work out how to mount a sugar cube!)

c. as fruity as possible (Mega Tutti-Frutti

spayed neat onto baits is brill.)

d. soft, lip-crushingly slurpy.

I believe the actual bait matters little if it matches up to this lot. However - and confusingly - fishy baits are also excellent.

------------------

Bruno

Guest RUDD

I have several favs and always fish over a 50/50 mix of expo and plain crumb or Van den eye micro carp pellets.

1. Bread flake

2. Sweetcorn (early in season but dont feed any) sometimes dippped in syrup.

3. Casters

4. Red maggots

5. Luncheon meat

6. Van den eye buttercream or carp pellet.

7. Dynamite fishey meat bites.

8. Paste

9. Red worm from the compost heap

I have caught loads of Tench on all of the above baits but you have to chop and change to see what they want.

I have found that they love all of the baits dipped in syrup or liquid pellet.

RUDD

Guest pikemaster39

Trout pellet paste was always a brilliant bait however it had some extras in, the recipe goes as follows:

Trout Pellets

Wetabix (add to stiffen mixture)

Vanila flavouring (add until you can just smell it)

suger or honey (loads of sweetness, they love it)

You will note there are no 5ml this or that because over the years we have found that you just cannot beat the good old nose and taste buds to test the sweetness due to every mix being slighly different due to composition of trout pellets and wetabix, try it, it works a dream even though its a 20 year old bait mix.

tight lines and I hope this works as well for you as it has for me over the years, I had my personal best tench of over 8lb on this mixture from a local day ticket water(sadly no longer there)

------------------

Andi

http://www.sussex-pac.co.uk

Guest Alan Pearce

Until the water really warms up:

1) Caster over hemp.

2) Two or three red maggots on a 14 hook popped op four inches off the bottom by way of a bit of red rig foam (the size of a maggot).

By the end of June any of the for mentioned including large lobworms.

Alan.

Guest Chris Plumb

Well there's nowt new under the sun - Tench baits - from The Compleat Angler.

He will bite at a paste made of brown bread and honey, or at a Marsh- worm, or a lob-worm; he inclines very much to any paste with which tar is mixt, and he will bite also at a smaller worm with his head nipped off, and a cod-worm put on the hook before that worm. And I doubt not but that he will also, in the three hot months, for in the nine colder he stirs not much, bite at a flag-worm or at a green gentle.

smile.gif

Chris