Coarse/Pike Fishing near Edinburgh?

Guest Martin Salisbury

Guest Martin Salisbury

I've got two sisters who live in Edinburgh and visit them quite often. I've now exhausted all the tourist attractions so might be able to get some fishing done.

Does anyone know of any waters worth visiting on the outskirts of Edinburgh?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Guest Pinkeye

You would have to travel about 40 minutes North on the M90 to find some decent pike fishing inthat area.

If you are serious I can get a mate of mine to put you onto some good fishing.

(He is on holiday now so send me your e mail and I'll forward it to him)

Guest Scott

There is a fishery called Markle that consists of 3 waters,2 of them fly only the other a mixed coarse water (no Pike).

Very nice waters, not the hole in the ground type.3 spring fed lochs totalling 9.5 acres, carp to 20lb,tench,rudd and crucians.

Its £6.50 a day and is in East Linton, East Lothian just of the A1 not to far from Edinburgh.

Try www.marklefisheries.com

Scott.

[This message has been edited by Scott (edited 02 June 2001).]

Guest Squimp

Contact Mike Heath at Mike's Tackle shop in Portobello, Edinburgh.

He is an experienced angler and will help you out.

There is a tricky carp water at Duddingston and a trout fishery at Linlithgow that I know of.

Lots more decent fishing within a hours' drive.

Hope this helps.

Guest Martin Salisbury

Don't want to start a riot Alan but why do you suggest I leave the pike alone until September?

I had some good lure action over last summer and exciting takes on surface lures. I wanted some more of that action.

Martin

Guest Keith
Originally posted by Martin Salisbury:

Don't want to start a riot Alan but why do you suggest I leave the pike alone until September?

Some Scottish riparian owners are a wee bit twitchy about lure fishing in case you catch trout - it might be to do with that - and the further North you get, the more pike fishing is seen as strictly seasonal (it's not that long ago that you couldn't pike fish Castle Howard in Yorkshire before September - or it might gave been October?).

As to decent coarse angling - aren't there some decent tench in the Union Canal in Edinburgh?

I vaguely remember (a few years back) serious efforts were made to create some good coarse fishing up there, and one of the attempts involved tench in the canal - didn't the Scottish tench record come out of there?

Guest Alan Pearce

Martin, with respect, far too many pike die from being caught during the warmer months. Especially if they are not handled properly i.e. landed without nets and no unhooking mats etc.

Alan.