Carp Fishing France

Elton

Posted on behalf of Bruce920. Please add all replies to this thread:

there must be some of you out there that have been carp fishing in france. would you give me your feed back on your experence of it? thanks.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I fished over here for around 3 weeks a year for the past 10 years and have had some great fishing and experiences but also some real nightmares with hole in the ground fisheries, drunken anglers, fighting on the banks, food I would not give my dog and terrible or non existant facilities. I have also loved many trips to quieter waters, caught some stunning fish and made many long standing friends whilst fishing over here. I love the French countryside and fishing so much that I now live here and have my own fishery.

never fished france , but have fished a venue in austria, truly amazing experience

great venue , great surroundings all facilities there and i mean everything

and the biggest fish ive ever caught

Can I suggest do a search on past topics on here as fishing in France comes up time after time. You might also want to be a bit more specific as to what you want to know. I've fished in France numerous times over the last 12 - 15 years but it'd take me weeks to type down everything I've seen, done and learnt in that time !

Rob.

Yes will second that! I live in France and even arrange fishing holidays myself. But to tell you of my exploits and those of friends would take an age!! Try and be a little more specific.

BUT as a rule of thumb do NOT visit ANY lake in France unless you know personally the people who SAY they have fished it!! there are a LOT of people out here wanting to make money and MOST of them still LIVE in the UK!!! In fact I am pretty much the ONLY person selling holidays on the Net who HAS a .fr site. WHY?? Because to GET a .fr is you first need to be registered as a businesses in France and to do that it can cost a bob or two to get a Siret number. Ask the lake OWNER what his Siret number is, is a good indicator!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Yes will second that! I live in France and even arrange fishing holidays myself. But to tell you of my exploits and those of friends would take an age!! Try and be a little more specific.

BUT as a rule of thumb do NOT visit ANY lake in France unless you know personally the people who SAY they have fished it!! there are a LOT of people out here wanting to make money and MOST of them still LIVE in the UK!!! In fact I am pretty much the ONLY person selling holidays on the Net who HAS a .fr site. WHY?? Because to GET a .fr is you first need to be registered as a businesses in France and to do that it can cost a bob or two to get a Siret number. Ask the lake OWNER what his Siret number is, is a good indicator!!

I agree with a lot of what you say Chris, especially the cost (cotisations) of being registered. I would just point out that our siret number is clearly seen on our website and we also have food and drink licenses (how many do ???) as well as full closed water status. I, and my family, also live full time next to the lake in the old millhouse and most importantly.......we certainly do not make loads of money but run the fishery as a way of life !!

Tight lines, Jim.

Ok Jim a BIT general I know! But it REALLY galls me to see so and so advertising waters to fish in BEAUTIFUL FRANCE!! And they display a UK telephone number etc? I apologise if I upset you but have seen a friend book not ONE but TWO holidays in recent years and get stuffed for the deposit! And BOTH were UK based. He would take advice from me. BUT his MATES want to fish in spitting distance of Calais! And with HUGE fish!

But yes I was a little TOO general. But what is your site address as a matter of interest?

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Ok Jim a BIT general I know! But it REALLY galls me to see so and so advertising waters to fish in BEAUTIFUL FRANCE!! And they display a UK telephone number etc? I apologise if I upset you but have seen a friend book not ONE but TWO holidays in recent years and get stuffed for the deposit! And BOTH were UK based. He would take advice from me. BUT his MATES want to fish in spitting distance of Calais! And with HUGE fish!

But yes I was a little TOO general. But what is your site address as a matter of interest?

I know what you mean Chris, I have had some pretty dreadful experiences especially in my early days of French fishing so can sympathise with your comments. As you say there are a good few 'cowboy' type operations over here but it is fair to say that there are also plenty of good honest venue's where offering a quality carping holiday is the norm. I think that one of the biggest problems is that so many anglers travel to France for the first time with unrealistic expectations of what fishing is like over here and are misled by websites and advertisements that paint a picture that is difficult to fulfill. We took a policy decision early on to make sure that we were totally honest regarding fish stocks and facilities so the first time visitor arrived in the full knowledge of what awaited him. Our weblog (carpdreams.wordpress.com) is also updated almost daily so any existing or future client can assess exactly what is being caught every week rather than just look at a website gallery of smiling anglers and huge fish and believing thats the norm. The truth is that many of the more popular venue's will see far more fishing pressure through the year than most uk venue's and the fishing can be difficult accordingly. One thing that the prospective French carper should look out for is how many anglers are allowed to fish per acre of water. One of my pet hates was to arrive at a venue and find it crisscrossed by lines and having nowhere to fish to find a bit of peace and quiet to do my 'own thing'. We have a maximum of 6 anglers in 15 acres because thats the way I like to do my fishing !!!

Anyway, good luck Chris and well done on highlighting a few 'home truths' regarding the French carping scene.

Our address ?? www.carpdreams.com (in Indre, bottom of the Loire Valley)

Edited by Oldfellah

Ok Jim a BIT general I know! But it REALLY galls me to see so and so advertising waters to fish in BEAUTIFUL FRANCE!! And they display a UK telephone number etc?

I know what your getting at Chris but remember that its done that way a lot of times as a tax dodge and they can still be on the water so to speak.

I agree with all that both Chris and Jim have said thoughg.Before our place was finally decided on we both fished a lot (if not most of the waters at the time) that were owned by or specificly targeted Brits. Many were atrocious.That said a lot of it was down to lack of experience both carp fishing,fishery management and buisness wise and many have improved with time.

I still feel that the most common reason for a "bad" trip though is incorrect choice of venue.The customer really needs to decide what he and the rest of his party want from the trip then find a venue that supplies this.Much easier these days to find want you want but still just as important to decide what you want!

Also the correct "mind set" for a "sucsessfull" trip needs to be gained.You still need to fish properly if you want to catch they wont just crawl up the rods just because your abroad! Also remember its a holiday (well for most anyway) so enjoy it regardless of the fishing.

Research and planning are the major considerations the more you do the better the end result.Once again easy peasy these days.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I think Budgie has got it spot on when he states "Much easier these days to find want you want but still just as important to decide what you want!". When I first started fishing in France with my mate many years ago and like many others, it was the thought of big fish that drove us and we were prepaired to put up with virtually anything in order to catch. We originally started through an agent and fished Boulancourt (Lac del a horre) and were fortunate enough at the time to have the use of a dormitory and kithen in a hotel a couple of miles from the lake where you could have a good sleep, a shower and you could store your food and bait.which was a godsend as the heat in the day was unbearable and there was nowhere to hide around the lake not to mention the hordes of mossies and horse flies.Whilst we caught a load of fish, it taught us the need to be more selective in the future. We had a good few years at various venues until the wives decided they wanted to come with us which presented a totally different ball game with the requirement to have decent accommodation as well as the fishing. At that time it was a bit of a minefield but we were fortunate to come accross Tony Miller and his waters the first one being Beausalais whuch was stunning inasmuch that you had a cracking totally enclosed lake all to yourself and the wives were happy to sit, in the sun with a book and a glass of wine and occassionally feed the red squirrels which were abundant. From then on we fished several similar venues with sole fishing rights whilst we were there until we eventually came accross Masbas which to us was idyllic in terms of its beaty and also very close to the River Lot where we wqere also able to spend some time. The main point about all this is that is a holiday, can be very expensive and to get the best out of it, it is important to decide what you want before you go and then do the research.