new wire traces for pike thread

awaaar

hi jeepster

yeah i use any good strong swivelsi can get get.i only use berkley or fox snap links or crosslinks,have u ever used that strange looking berkley stuff( black plastic coated wire)for lures??

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh n i often bring a kinked trace home take off the trebels re-sharpen them(or check them) and the swivelsetc and re-use themall that gets binned is the old wire n crimps saves lots of money(but as a momento i dont do this if i catch a good fish on a particluar trace i keep the trace :) not to be re-used!

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Posted this on the old thread as well! Im still using my ever decreasing supply of Marlin Steel.Dispose of a trace as soon as it shows any sign of wear.Certainly wouldnt use it with a kink in no matter where it was.Find solid traces better for jerk baits and use QED for the rest of my lure fishing.Been using some old Wonderwire (running out of this too!) for tipping off fly leaders as it is very supple and turns over.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

</font>

<font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by BUDGIE:

I'm still using my ever decreasing supply of Marlin Steel.

(I) Dispose of a trace as soon as it shows any sign of wear. Certainly wouldn't use it with a kink in no matter where it was.

(I) Find solid traces better for jerk baits and

(I) use QED for the rest of my lure fishing.

(I've) Been using some old Wonderwire (running out of this too!) for tipping off fly leaders as it is very supple and turns over. </font><hr />

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Lots of interesting stuff there, Budgie.

What are the BSs of the wires that you use?

You can get some more Marlin Steel here

Suggest that you also look here e.g. for 49-strand twistable wire at non-rip-off prices

Have you ever tried Masterline's Tide-Cheater wire?

DG

Marlin Steel in 20lb,QED in 28lb,Wonderwire-Im not sure as it was some samples Nick Buss gave me some time ago (Steve might be able to tell you!).

Sadly the firm who made "Marlin Steel Trolling Line" is not the same one as the link you put up.Many thanks for trying DG.I have looked at several of the other sea fishing wire lines as a replacement including Tide Cheater.None have been quite the same as Marlin Steel but I suppose I will have to make a decision soon as only a few hundred feet left.I hate it when a product I have used for a long time and therefore gained a lot of confidence in becomes no longer available.Once I find an item Im happy with I tend to stick with it and stop looking at any new products.Once it disapears I pay the price!

Sorry DG I forgot to give my reasons for using Marlin Steel (without which of course makes my reccomendation of it useless!)-

1. Thin (a big advantage for Zeds but not really an issue for Pike)

2. Spins up easily (my prefered method of construction)

3. Reliable.

4. Used it for over 25 years so have a lot of confidence in it.

Disadvantages-

1. Kinks can not be straightened in it so needs to be replaced regularly (once damaged obviously)

2.No longer available!!

You can't spin them. Kinkproof also means spinproof. You can knot them up to about 60lb but I prefer crimps for 30lb plus. 20lb I knot.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Have been using Pro Leader the last season and so far so good. The thing about Pro Leader is that you don´t need any crimps or tools,you can tie it using the same knot as used with braid. And it´s relly supple. It looks a bit dodgie but the future will tell if it´s a material to be trusted. Does anyone have any experience of Pro Leader.

Is this what you mean?

________________________ Posted Image

AnglerProLeader

The central core is made from 100% Dyneema which is protected from toothy predators by an outer stainless steel braided mesh which makes for a super supple trace.

[ 28. May 2004, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]