new wire traces for pike thread

awaaar

quote:

Originally posted by BUDGIE:

Marlin Steel in 20lb,QED in 28lb,Wonderwire-Im not sure as it was some samples Nick Buss gave me some time ago (Steve might be able to tell you!).

I have looked at several of the other sea fishing wire lines as a replacement including Tide Cheater.None have been quite the same as Marlin Steel but I suppose I will have to make a decision soon as only a few hundred feet left.I hate it when a product I have used for a long time and therefore gained a lot of confidence in becomes no longer available.Once I find an item Im happy with I tend to stick with it and stop looking at any new products.Once it disapears I pay the price!

Time you looked at AFW

quote:

Sadly the firm who made "Marlin Steel Trolling Line" is not the same one as the link you put up. Many thanks for trying DG.

Oh well .. it looked right ... but maybe they've stopped doing fishing wire.

Like I said, maybe it's time for something from AFW :confused:

DG

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Given my preference for spinning up traces DG which of their products would you reccomend I try?

Hmmmmh .... I use their 49-strand, but have a look at their whole range via the link above, and if you've never tried the nickel-coated titanium single-strand wire, it might be worth a try

________ Posted Image

I've stopped using the lower BSs now; it has some elasticity which, under load, comes to a sudden stop, and in the lower BSs, I've found, can snap after two or three arguments with snags etc.

DG

[ 29. May 2004, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

I've tried Pro Leader. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Because it is so supple it tangles round anything it can, and the outer wire coating frays.

AFW, sevenstrand version, on the other hand, is top notch for bait fishing. I use it in 60lb! Twists up easy enough with a stick.

Another good multistrand wire to look at, Budgie, is Mason - might even be AFW under another name!!

Dave

dlstsig.png

I used to used the uncoated Drennan wire but for my light, ultralight and fly traces, I now use 15lb Z-Tread with size 14 sivels and black "Duo-Lock" snaps from Rosco. I find that the Z-Tread is much thinner and more resistant to kinking and fraying that the Drennan.

I agree with every sentiment about changing traces regularly. They cost penies and the terminal bits can be re-used anyway.

The Titaniun looks interesting. Can this stuff be twisted on or does it need crimps ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

The Titaniun looks interesting. Can this stuff be twisted on or does it need crimps?

One of the selling points of the Titanium wire is the way it holds it's shape. Not prone to kink. Also won't hold shape if you twist it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

On the subject of re using trace components (I do) dont bother re using swivels as if you forget which end was attached to the wire and try to use that end to tie mono to you will find the line often breaks due to the wire having damaged the eye.

Thanks Dave,others have also sugested Mason to me.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Shame. I hate crimps, especially on the light gear.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

No probs with crimps, neat & tidy and never let me down.

Re tying mono to swivels, I never do it, but Budgie's tip is sound. Personally I use Gemini Genie snood links at the end of my line so I can change traces quickly and easily. I use the same at the trace end so as to change lures easily, and entirely safely. These links are perfect, simple, and totally fool-proof. They really are the safest link between swivel/trace and lure on the market. I promise you, you won't find better!

[ 29. May 2004, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dave Lumb:

Another good multistrand wire to look at, Budgie, is Mason - might even be AFW under another name!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>> Posted Image

....... or even ...

_____________________ Posted Image

[ 29. May 2004, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]