new wire traces for pike thread

awaaar

The Diamond Geezer:

Yup, it was the PowerPro one, which he promotes heavily everywhere  ...  

Good line. No, a great line. Why not promote it?
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PowerPro

quote:

Originally posted by Newt:

Good line. No, a great line. Why not promote it?

Oh no, don't tell me old JT Baggers is slipping you freebie samples as well now?

Seriously, PowerPro is a good line but I prefer genuine unbiased promotion based on some proper on-the-water and in-the-lab back-to-back tests, not just marketing hype and the feeling in someone's water after a couple of seasons' fishing with some freebie samples (Eh, JTB?), plus I jess hate getting ripped-off :mad: Of course, if you get PowerPro FREE, then it is great value for money :D

Personally I'd rather (and do) buy braided Spectra & Dyneema lines from the people who actually braid PowerPro for Innovative Textiles, and their own, excellent (by pukka tests) Western Filament TUF-Lines

_____________________ Posted Image

For example, anyone who claim that, BS-for-BS, braids like TUF-Line and PowerPro have good abrasion resistance compared with say Excaliber Silver Thread or any other half-decent modern nylon or coplymer mono, is talking out of their back-side. ... and naturally I can back that up with some pukka data.

__________________ Posted Image

If you want/need high tenacity, buy a braid, if you want/need true abrasion resistance, buy a good modern mono .. it's as simple as that

Yup, this is the brand for me ....

_____________________________ Posted Image

DG

[ 31. May 2004, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Lab tests are just another kind of BS to me. graphs and tables never tell the full story - like how easy a line is to knot, or how it behaves on a reel.

Listen to anglers who use the stuff, I say, not men in white coats in laboratories.

By the way, I've been using Power Pro since it came on the UK market, and have yet to find any braid to match it. The only reason I endorse it is because of that. No BS, no hype. Believe me or not, I couldn't give a toss. If I was just here to promote stuff I'd have said Pro Leader was great - but it's not, it's cack (for piking).

If I could wind a wire that was as good as Power Pro is as a braid, I'd be a happy, happy bunny.

Now I remember why I don't visit this site much. The anoraks wind me up too much.

Geezer isn't John Worzencraft resurected is he? :D

Dave

dlstsig.png

the geezer (as his friends probably dont call him) would much rather spend hours in a lab testing line than actually fishing, as you say dave, who gives a toss about a few bar graphs and pie charts? how does the line knot, how does it cast, how does it cope with a fish?? thats what i want to know, and the only way to know that is to listen to people who use it, or try it yourself, i've done both, thats why i use power pro exclusively

Well DG - I gotta stick with my preference for PowerPro. I bought a spool of the Western Filament TUF-Line to try. 30lb. Didn't seem to hold up as well as the PowerPro does so it is now acting as backing on a couple of reels.

Tried bits of it for hooklength and wasn't impressed there either.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

quote:

Well DG - I gotta stick with my preference for PowerPro. I bought a spool of the Western Filament TUF-Line to try. 30lb. Didn't seem to hold up as well as the PowerPro does so it is now acting as backing on a couple of reels.

Tried bits of it for hooklength and wasn't impressed there either.

Well, Newt

I gotta respect your personal opinions assuming you gave TUF-Line a fair crack of the whip in terms of usage compared with PowerPro. I bet you paid less for the former, though, even at US prices.

I've never used it as a hooklength, so I can't comment.

Assuming you're talking about lure-fishing here, what do you mean about hooklength?

I've also used PowerPro and found that the coating soon comes-off everywhere and coats the rings and the bail-arm roller etc. I don't like the price either. As a braid per se it was OK, nothing special IMHO, though, and certainly not for the UK rip-off price anyway :mad:

For sure, abrasion-resistance-wise, neither TUF-Line nor PowerPro can hold a candle to any of the top carp-fishing monos sold in the UK nor any of the top US monos, e.g. Stren & Berkley

Anway, unless you're snag-hopping all the time like perhaps maybe you do, who really needs true abrasion-resistance when you're lure-fishing

Much appreciate your trying-out TUF-Line and for your feedback, though Like most forms of fishing, and tackle, I guess braids are a very personal thing .. but IMHO I reckon you can't beat the combination of some proper tests (as you did with knot strength) and practical fishing experience in assessing which to choose .. oh and price is a major factor too

Richard

P.S. As you will have gathered from my comments re: JTB, I say that in his position as a sponsoree of PowerPro, it's pretty damn near impossible to be unbiased, and it was more than a tad disingenous of him in his review, not to declare his being sponsored by them. Also a pity (and odd) that he wasn't prepared to declare the other more inferior (in his opinion) braids that he tested before selecting PowerPro

[ 01. June 2004, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

DG - it did cost less and that's the main reason I gave it a try.

I use braid for most of my fishing, both lure and static with baits. For lure work I usually like 10lb for U/L rigs and 30lb for others. For baits, 50lb mainline to a 30lb hooklength and normally both will be a braid.

As to lures and abrasion, I can only assume after some years on this forum that I do lure angling very differently than is the norm in the UK. I'm more likely to need abrasion resistance with lures than with baits.

[ 31. May 2004, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

quote:

As to lures and abrasion, I can only assume after some years on this forum that I do lure angling very differently than is the norm in the UK. I'm more likely to need abrasion resistance with lures than with baits.

Newt

I'm sure that's the case. I think you call it brush-hopping or something like that .... submerged trees & branches etc., when you're bassing.

In the main, our venues in the UK compared with those I've fished in the States and Canada, are dream snag-free

Whether you're talking about braids or monos, there's no substitute for diameter when it comes to abrasion resistance.

DG

[ 31. May 2004, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

DG - it did cost less and that's the main reason I gave it a try.

I use braid for most of my fishing, both lure and static with baits. For lure work I usually like 10lb for U/L rigs and 30lb for others.

As an example of the UK rip-off price for PowerPro, using your example of 30 lb BS, and 300 yd spools:-

#current exchange=rate £1 = US$1.83

# excluding post & packing, typical; UK price for 300 yd spool of 30 lb BS PP = £29.99 = US$59

# current exchange-rate £:$, it makes sense to buy on-line/mail order direct from BasPro or even Cabelas, even taking into account shipping, VAT and Import Duty charges.

BassPro price excl shipping etc., US$23.49 == £12.83

Yup, it's rip-off UK for sure

:mad: ... buy from BassPro! You'd be a fool not to!

DG

[ 01. June 2004, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Dave Lumb:

Now I remember why I don't visit this site much. The anoraks wind me up too much.

Geezer isn't John Worzencraft resurected is he?    :D  

Anoraks pop up everywhere Dave! But atleast we don't verbally kill each other over here!!