North Western Multi Range 2.25lb T/C Blank

Rob Ward

fine up to cats of 39lb my PB ,not the best casters though but i fish short range anyhoo

theres two types of anglers, those with telephone poles who bully fish in and those that use their tackle with skill and patience

i have had carp up to 26lb on match rods who needs sea rods?

Are you talking about the North Western Multi Range there, Chesters?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you talking about the North Western Multi Range there, Chesters?

probably not just generalising as usual but mine are 2lb through action kevlar north westerns! once i wear them out i will buy new ones but these are probably only 25 years old

i was interested in the ones your talking about in how they combined "light" with distance ,i was responding to the post i highlighted rather than yours pointing out light is OK

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

probably not just generalising as usual but mine are 2lb through action kevlar north westerns! once i wear them out i will buy new ones but these are probably only 25 years old

i was interested in the ones your talking about in how they combined "light" with distance ,i was responding to the post i highlighted rather than yours pointing out light is OK

I already have a pair of the Kevlites in 2lb test, like you say they're great for short range work but due to the topography of the Lake in some swims I sometimes need to fish further out, I love the Kevlites but they're no good for launching fully loaded 2oz method feeders more than about 35 yards.

This is why I'm looking at the Multi Range blank - not as a replacement but as an alternative rod.

Edited by Rob Ward

have you considers casting differently ,i can get further than that with an underarm cast :D dont cast out cast sideways if you can

i have fished for 50 years i have carp fished since the late 60's and i followed the trend of getting heavier tackle to cast heavier weights into places you really shouldnt go ,but 10 years ago i had a vision i went back to the late 60's in both tackle and perspective (not old tackle but not the sea rod stuff you buy today)and my catch rate rose tenfold ,honest before some go on about weed beds, snags and shopping trollies try chilling out one weekend and see for yourself ,you can still "camp" (i love it) but think quiet and close range 1 oz max leads and go fishing again ,theres no need to bully fish the harder you try the harder they resist but gentle guiding has them thinking its just a dream

my heavy carp rods became pike rods because they could cast whole fish otherwise they would be in the loft with my sea stuff as pier rods

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

why are you not going to get a carp out of a weedbed :rolleyes:

surely its irresponsible to fish with the prospect of one getting in and you pulling its mouth apart getting it out :o

seen very damaged carp with terrible tears from just that scenario expect ,better a light hooklenght break than tethering it with a heavy one when your sea rod fails to do its job.

you guide a fish you dont force it ,try letting the fish come to you than having the need to fish heavy at 100 yards ,you obviasly dont understand how fish feed ,try sitting by a pond at dusk in silence and you will see the carp right under the bank,carp (most fish) come into the shallows at night ,some follow ducks who are the little cleaners who clean up after the daytime angler so carp associate ducks with food

i doubt my pb cat realised it had even been hooked it only woke up at the net

what heavy anglers are doing is "thinking" they need heavy tackle because some brand name is on it and "bigger must be better" and whilst using it are removing half the fun of angling

put your camping ideals away and only use it when the fish are asleep get a little rod and try stalking you will catch far more i promise a pole angler will catch more in an afternoon than a weekender ,seen it very often and its not all little fish ;)

overnighting isnt about fishing its camping / freedom and time to think why wait for a bite at far range when the fish are 20 feet away waiting ,why do you think the fish are far away ? because anglers are stomping about and scaring them with hoofing great weights

I didn't mention fishing at range nor was I singing the praises of overnight 'camping' fishing! We can all provide examples of big fish landed on light gear and I much prefer to fish with relatively light gear. But heavy weed changes everything. No point hooking something that you can't land. Also no point using a light hooklength and expecting it to break. Either you don't really understand the point or you're being a resident contrarian, it's always so hard to tell... ;)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

just pointing out its far better to use your head than depend on a cheese wire to get you out of trouble ,theres some weed no amount of brute force will get a fish out of so why hope you do ,just fish a swim elsewhere :D

you can though "ping" fish out of weedbeds ,probably a long lost art today ,weedbeds have always been around and fish always went in them but you didnt need 3lb rods to extract them just patience ,the fish will tend to shed a hook long before you dare to exert the pressure you can today and IMHO i would rather lose a fish than risk snapping the line and tethering it .

fishing light does have advantages and mostly to the fish ,the angler should be second

another modern item i have mixed feelings about are bait boats ,yes you can fish further with light tackle but i see them mostly used dropping baits in snags where the reason they are called snags is because they are snaggy :(

Edited by chesters1

just pointing out its far better to use your head than depend on a cheese wire to get you out of trouble ,theres some weed no amount of brute force will get a fish out of so why hope you do ,just fish a swim elsewhere :D

I would say using your head = choosing tackle appropriate for the job. Fishing with heavy gear when it's not necessary is (as you say) counter-productive for both angler and fish, but in some circumstances it's the right thing to do. I will reluctantly be using carp rods next year for my tench fishing in weedy swims as my 1.5lb tc and 1.75lb tc rods aren't up to it.

PS sorry Rob I've gone off topic and will shut up now :rolleyes:

PPS final word in response to C's last edit, if the fish really came first we wouldn't fish for them at all, the best we can do is make sure we land everything we hook. Fishing light in these circumstances is not putting the fish first because you're going to lose it. The last thing is that not all fish are the same, carp tend to 'kick' themselves out of weed eventually, tench dive right in deep and don't budge, so if you're fishing for big, powerful tench in a weedy swim, you need to be able to either stop them getting into the weed in the first place, or be able to get them out once they're in. You can't do either with light tackle.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Rob will no doubt get his answer but its good to talk :D

i remeber using some 3lb rods in very heavy weed ,i got the fish but compared to the amount of weed i pulled in with it the fish couldnt do much more than lie there ,it probably fought more going back out than it did coming in ,if your just after a head count i suppose its fine but not imho really fishing.

Edited by chesters1

have you considers casting differently ,i can get further than that with an underarm cast :D dont cast out cast sideways if you can

i have fished for 50 years i have carp fished since the late 60's and i followed the trend of getting heavier tackle to cast heavier weights into places you really shouldnt go ,but 10 years ago i had a vision i went back to the late 60's in both tackle and perspective (not old tackle but not the sea rod stuff you buy today)and my catch rate rose tenfold ,honest before some go on about weed beds, snags and shopping trollies try chilling out one weekend and see for yourself ,you can still "camp" (i love it) but think quiet and close range 1 oz max leads and go fishing again ,theres no need to bully fish the harder you try the harder they resist but gentle guiding has them thinking its just a dream

my heavy carp rods became pike rods because they could cast whole fish otherwise they would be in the loft with my sea stuff as pier rods

I could comfortably cast longer than that with a one ounce lead Chesters but the Kevlites just aren't meant for punching out a method feeder any sort of distance and a 2oz method feeder loaded with bait is probably about the same weight as the dead baits you're casting with your Pike rods!

That's why I'm looking at the Multi Range blank, they're only a 2.25lb test curve so not much different there. What I need is a bit more backbone in the mid section than the Kevlites have.

I'll try and find out what the rods are one of my m8's has. I know they're over 2lb test (I think 2 1/4 or 2 1/2lb) and I thought they where kevlites but I know they cast heavy weights a long long way through action or not. Infact I can remember when another m8 owned them and the first time he used them on Grassmere whilst dead baiting for pike, he was blasting out large mackeral and a 2 or 3 ounce lead n'all.

If I was you i'd be on the look out for a pair of Shimano Diaflash's (not the buggs the origionals) they're great for casting and great to play fish on, they also have a lovely looking slim blank.