North Western Multi Range 2.25lb T/C Blank

Rob Ward

I can only speak from a personal point of view but where the weed is exeptionally thick, I would hesitate to fish at distance unless I had the use of a boat and even then I would have to think hard and long about it and whether I knew the topography well enough..I had a couple of situations earlier in the year when a fish became heavily weeded. Fortunately on both occassions the fish came clear but on one of those occassions I had to leave the rod on the rest for around 40 minutes before it decided to move. With regards to rods Rob it may be worth looking at something like a Daiwa Powermesh 21/4 which have a pretty strong backbone and cast well but are soft enough under the tip. Harrison Ballistas are another rod that have plenty of backbone plus a soft tip and would probably be okay for the swim I think you may be looking at. It is going to be a compromise whichever between casting and fish playing ability.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really do the same sort of fishing as you so probably shouldn't comment (but I will anyway ;))

If I had to use 2.75lb TC rods to fish for tench, either because of the distances involved or the fact that I would have to drag the fish back along with 5lbs of weed then I would probably be looking to fish elsewhere.

To me it just doesn't seem to equate with why I go fishing.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

The weed as yet isn't that much of a problem, plus my Tench fishing will be done and dusted by July so I'm not sure it's going to be that much of an issue.

I don't want to use 2.75lb test curve rods for Tench fishing. I'm quite happy with a ceiling of 2.25lb - we are talking big tench here in a gravel pit with sharp bars so heavy line is pretty much standard and even in the event of heavy weed I'm not convinced I'd need to go heavier than 2.25lb!

All I'm after knowing is what the action is of these blanks, if they're progressive action which I suspect then they'll be just what I'm after and I've got a chance to buy a pair at a decent price.

The weed as yet isn't that much of a problem, plus my Tench fishing will be done and dusted by July so I'm not sure it's going to be that much of an issue.

I don't want to use 2.75lb test curve rods for Tench fishing. I'm quite happy with a ceiling of 2.25lb - we are talking big tench here in a gravel pit with sharp bars so heavy line is pretty much standard and even in the event of heavy weed I'm not convinced I'd need to go heavier than 2.25lb!

All I'm after knowing is what the action is of these blanks, if they're progressive action which I suspect then they'll be just what I'm after and I've got a chance to buy a pair at a decent price.

I wish I could help but don't know the blanks.

Never seen a North western blank I didn't like though so if you don't want them.........

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Rob,

Not so strangely there are multiple opinions on these blanks on the net. The blank is not "specific" although it has retained the same name. Age of the blank seems to make a difference?

Anyway, thought this might help: North Western Blanks., Middleton, Manchester tel 0161 6533500

Phone

Edited by Phone

With regards to rods Rob it may be worth looking at something like a Daiwa Powermesh 21/4 which have a pretty strong backbone and cast well but are soft enough under the tip.

I have a pair of the original Daiwa Powermesh carp rods (11ft, 2 1/4lb tc) and they are really lovely rods - but they are quite soft with a through action. I used them for my first season at Wingham but found accurate casting very difficult, especially in a strong cross-wind, and got the Drennan tench & bream rods to use instead. Despite being a lower tc (1 3/4) they have a much stiffer action and cast further and with a lot more accuracy.

However, the Powermesh rods do have decent power and I expect would be good for launching method balls, as long as you didn't want to reach the horizon. I love mine and am always looking for an excuse to use them :)

PS what effect does the addition/inclusion of kevlar have on a rod?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Rob,

Not so strangely there are multiple opinions on these blanks on the net. The blank is not "specific" although it has retained the same name. Age of the blank seems to make a difference?

Anyway, thought this might help: North Western Blanks., Middleton, Manchester tel 0161 6533500

Phone

Phone, they ceased production several years ago.