Ignoring young anglers on this forum

Guest NickInTheNorth

Guest NickInTheNorth

Hey folks

We seem to be ignoring another young poster who has just found his way to AN, and is asking for help. (and yes I am as guilty as anyone else)

Jimbobby is a new poster, he posted a message on 23 June 2001 07:50 PM saying he was robbed of his gear whilst fishing, so far no replies.

Bentrod posted a similar message just about 24 hrs before on 22 June 2001 08:41 PM so far 7 replies, including a couple offering tackle.

Jimbobby also posted asking for help regarding catching tench and carp. He has been told to get a good size sack of maize and hemp, and to hair rig sweetcorn.

I suspect that a sack of anything will not be easy for your average schoolboy to get hold of.

Perhaps a few more pointers of some simple ideas for him to try, and perhaps with a few more detailed instructions.

I don't really fish stillwaters much these days, so I can't really give any good detailed advice. I know some of you guys could give him some really good tips to help him get some fish on the bank.

If anyone can help with either of the above I am sure it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Nick frown.gifsmile.giffrown.gifsmile.gif

Guest Gaffer

Hi Nick, I think you've raised a good point, perhaps we do need to watch out for the younger posters, but in all fairness Keith answered Jimbobby very well in both of his posts. smile.gif

If Jimbobby comes back with a bigger picture of where and how he is fishing I'm sure there we will do our best in answering any questions he might have, as we would with anybody. wink.gif

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 24 June 2001).]

Guest Darth_codhead

I saw the post and guest it was someone wingen about having there tackle stolen out of there car

I think it would be a good idea to have a NEW ROOM only for kids and people new to fishing so this dose not get past by again.

Also for people changing from freshwater ot sea

MOST of us will help kids and new people so if the room is opend we ALL WILL BE ABLE TO REPLY TO THE POSTS

------------------

Sheffield online sea fishing club

http://www.sheffield.i85.net

Darth

Guest The Tangler
Originally posted by Darth_codhead:

I saw the post and guest it was someone wingen about having there tackle stolen out of there car

Darth, How the hell can you say they were just winging about losing there tackle from there car?

Just remember what you put there and if you ever lose any of your gear that way and post about it here I'm going to be the first to laugh at you for what you have said about poor jimbobby.

As for the rest of your post well it's just you again daft cobhead.

------------------

PETE.

Fishing in Kent and the south east.

http://thetangler.homestead.com

Guest pikelines editor

Deja Vue...

I seem to remember posting this subject not long ago, a junior forum would be good!

Didn't get much backing or response though, even from Elton!

Ah well...

------------------

Best, Steve Ormrod

Guest dave k

Elton please get a spellchecker frown.gif

I am dislexic (christ i can spell it) smile.gifand most of the time i manage to spell the words right.

Some of our posters need to spell check their threads before posting.

the quality of spelling from some of them is terible.. rolleyes.gif

If you have a PC you should have a word processor program on it with a spell checker

just cut and paste from that. smile.gif

------------------

dave kennedy USSC Angling

Guest Keith
Originally posted by NickInTheNorth:

Hey folks

We seem to be ignoring another young poster who has just found his way to AN, and is asking for help. (and yes I am as guilty as anyone else)

Well Nick,

you might well be guilty, but that doesn't mean we all are! wink.gif

Jimbobby has posted 5 times: I've responded to three of those postings (thanks for noticing Gaffer), and haven't to the other two, simply because the "bait" thread got a few useful responses (certainly I could add nowt more); and while I sympathise with the loss of his gear, me posting to that effect won't make it come back.

I also believe that the "sack of maize and hemp" response came from another youngster or beginner (no offence meant if I'm wrong), hence the - to you - possibly less than helpful suggestion.

If Jimbobby supplies more information about his probs I for one will certainly help again, to the extent that I am able.

To be fair though, Jimbobby's inexperience means that the questions he's asking are probably too big to be answered easily - hence the likely reluctance of some posters to contribute.

What it doesn't mean is that the forum is actively ignoring younger or more inexperienced anglers: but - I suggest to the lad a few times - the real solution to his questions is to get local help, preferably from a reputable local club that has a good track record in helping young and beginning anglers.There's bound to be such a club near him.

------------------

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland

mailto:keith@go-fishing.co.ukkeith@go-fishing.co.uk

http://www.wacac.co.uk

Guest Keith
Originally posted by dave k:

Elton please get a spellchecker     frown.gif  

Heh heh!!

Yesterday I would have said "no" to that: after this thread though, I'm not so sure..!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

------------------

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland

[This message has been edited by Keith (edited 24 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Keith (edited 24 June 2001).]

Guest NickInTheNorth

Hi Keith

Yes, I realise that you have posted several useful replies, and my apologies for not acknowledging that sooner. I guess I was making a general point, by focusing on a particular issue. As always such an approach can lead to injustice.

Regards

Nick

Guest Keith
Originally posted by NickInTheNorth:

Hi Keith

Yes, I realise that you have posted several useful replies, and my apologies for not acknowledging that sooner. I guess I was making a general point, by focusing on a particular issue. As always such an approach can lead to injustice.

Regards

Nick

Aaah, no problem.

I'll be truthful and say that I nearly didn't respond either: not because I'm unwilling to help, but as I suggested questions like "I'm fishing and catching nowt - what am I doing wrong?" are a wee bit too general to answer effectively! smile.gif

But then I thought - "he's a kid, I'll try and do something", But in truth all I did was ask more questions and suggest getting local help (oh, and not starting off as a boilie chucking carp angler!)

I mean: what if the "second ever carp" he's desperate to catch comes out at 35lbs?

Where does he go from there?

I'll tell you: golf! That's where he goes!

[sHUDDER!!!]

------------------

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland