Float fishing in Deep water

Guest Kitson

Guest Kitson

Hi people.

Can anyone recommend a way of Float fishing fairly deep water (around 12-15ft) for carp and tench.

Do I have to present the bait on the bottom or will these species take baits suspended in the water?

Guest big tinca

Hi Kit.

The best method i can i think of is to use a slider or a polaris float the polaris sets the depth for you and can be used in water up to about 15ft(i think)?

------------------

Happy Tenching.

Big Tinca.

bigtinca@hotmail.com

Guest fisherking

Hi Kitson and welcome to AnglersNet.

The ideal method for the type of fishing you have described is to fish the sliding float.

If you look back through this forum there was a posting on using the slider and I think also a diagram on setting it up.

You could use a float called a polaris which when cast out to the desired spot will sit upright when the bait hits bottom but imo this is a lazy way to fish and a lot of the enjoyment is lost.

I do have one other thing to add to the other post on the slider and that is.

The tail or length of line used below the bulk shot varies between people.

Try leaving a tail of about 6-8ft with say 2 0r 3 no 8s on it and you will notice a marked difference in your bite ratio.

John.

[This message has been edited by fisherking (edited 05 June 2001).]

Guest Kitson

Thanks for the reply, I will look for the slider float posting, but as for my other question what do you think?, will a tench take a bait that is not presented on the bottom?

Guest big tinca

Hi Kit.

A tench will take the bait off the bottom but as confidently as rooted to the bottom!

You could probably catch them about a foot off!

I Have caught them about a foot off myself but i would'nt imagine any shallower than that as tench are prolific bottom feeders.

------------------

Happy Tenching.

Big Tinca.

bigtinca@hotmail.com

Guest RUDD

I have caught tench just under the surface while fishing the sprayed maggot method.

I think they were very hungery and competing with the carp I was after.

RUDD

Guest phil dean

Just to add to what rudd said, last week I had a 2lb tench (sorry BT had to say it somewhere)fishing for rudd a foot under a crystal wagler when nothing was being caught on the bottom, a few we3eks before I had a 4lb carp in similar fashion when the big fish didn't seem to be feeding and I was taking rudd off the top.

Guest big tinca

Yeah me too Kitson welcome to AnglersNet!

Beware of the unbeliveable!!!!

------------------

Happy Tenching.

Big Tinca.

bigtinca@hotmail.com

Guest big tinca

Hey Kitson,

Go to Steve Randles website Anglers Rest and have a look at the waggler section on the bottom of the screen there is some info there on leger floats which you may find useful!

------------------

Happy Tenching.

Big Tinca.

bigtinca@hotmail.com