Shot sizes....whats in a name?

Guest Adrian

Guest Adrian

Hi all

Question from 11 yr old Son today that I could not answer, perhaps someone can help.

'Daddy, why do shot have names like AAA and SSG?'.The only guess he could come up with was that BB were for shooting Big Birds.

Any ideas?

Adrian

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

Adrian

I'm 29 & i don't know why or how they got the names either redface.gif

------------------

TROGG (Alan)

Guest Andy Thatcher

Seem to remember that SSG means Shot for Swan and Goose, LG stands for Large Goose but that's all I remember.

Angling Times I think.

Cheers

Andy

Guest matt_shaw

Well a true huntsman could answer this question. The reason being, shot names are all related to lead shot from gun cartrages. Ever heard of a BB gun? SSG stands for Swan Seagull and Goose. Obviously this was the shot size packed into a cartridge for hunting these birds. For more info e-mail a gun shop, they will give you a better answer wink.gif

------------------

ECO Timber Panels, Barn Way, Lodge Farm Ind. Estate

The ECO - lodgical choice for wood

Tel. (01604) 759222 Find us at http://www.Yell.com/

Guest Newt
Originally posted by matt_shaw:

Well a true huntsman could answer this question. The reason being, shot names are all related to lead shot from gun cartrages. Ever heard of a BB gun?

I know that the original air gun used a pellet size between B and BBB, thus BB. Still, I have no idea how the size came to be called B, BB, BBB.

Matt - by your reasoning, AA should be the size fired by an Ack Ack gun. eek.gif (note: ack ack was short for Anti Aircraft - a WWII shipboard gun.

Guest poledark

No Newt,AA stands for "any animal" AAA stands for "any 'airy animal" biggrin.gif

poledark

[This message has been edited by poledark (edited 06 June 2001).]

Guest Adrian

Thanks for the replies, I love the lighthearted ones.

If 'S' refers to Swans, it must have been a long time ago, my understanding is that they cannot be shot at.

Hopefully, we will soon get a 'BC' size, for B***** Cormorants.

Cheers, Adrian

Guest big tinca

How about Big Boobs?

------------------

Happy Tenching.

Big Tinca.

bigtinca@hotmail.com

Guest matt_shaw

Big tinca, surely you won't go shooting at big boobs? would you not want to admire them first - up close even? At the end of the day, your just a normal heterosexual man! biggrin.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gif

------------------

ECO Timber Panels, Barn Way, Lodge Farm Ind. Estate

The ECO - lodgical choice for wood

Tel. (01604) 759222 Find us at http://www.Yell.com/