berkely powerbaits

Guest jonn

Guest Nightwing

The species specific tourney strength will not put other species off. While they are marketed as species specific, they will certainly attract other predator species as well. And, power baits are very good perch bait!

Guest Steve Burke
Originally posted by Nightwing:

The species specific tourney strength will not put other species off.  While they are marketed as species specific, they will certainly attract other predator species as well.  And, power baits are very good perch bait!

Nightwing, that's very interesting indeed!

As John said, perch, in the UK at least, are rarely caught on sea deadbaits. In the past I've asked if it's the salt, or do the baits have to be ultra fresh? I've caught hundreds of perch on freshwater deadbaits, but I find that freshly-killed ones are far superior to frozen ones. Your comment suggests that it's the lack of absolute freshness rather than the salt that's the key here.

This discussion and the contributions from our overseas friends really does show the value of the Forum. Thanks Nightwing!

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest RONAN
Originally posted by jonn:

uh oh,  redface.gif   redface.gif

sorry Ronan, i just checked your profile. you are one of the american posters. oops.

one of my mates got hold of some ribbontail worms, for sea fishing over here. they worked well on wrasse and took pollack as well.   biggrin.gif

there is two 'strengths' of powerbait i think,(according to the berkley website) one tournament strength, the other original. on the berkley website, it claims the tournament is species specific to bass or walleye.   confused.gif

I don't now if this will put other fish off, or just encourage the target species even more. the ribbontail worm was tournament strenght though, so has anybody used one or both types of bait?

do the tournaments still take other fish as well as there 'target'?

No problem JONN...

I can`t help much with the other powerbait products except through word of mouth. A lot of my friends use the Bass targeted plastics & rubbers with great success.

On the other hand, I have used the catfish powerbaits without any success.

But as I stated in my earlier posting, the trout powerbait is a proven winner around my area. You have to realize though, these are not "natural" trout, but farm raised and stocked over the winter, early spring season.

I ran into a employee, retired from the company that produces the trout powerbait and he told me that the main attractant in the power bait for trout is uric(sp?)acid from the female trout, supposedly in a ready spawn state. Don`t know if he was just pulling my leg, and I have`nt a clue on how they come about this, but he said that most of berkleys powerbait attractants are based on the same principal...

Maybe, someone from the states could touch on this even more ???

RONAN

Originally posted by Steve Burke:

As John said, perch, in the UK at least, are rarely caught on sea deadbaits.  In the past I've asked if it's the salt, or do the baits have to be ultra fresh?

Steve - I think it may have to do more with the iodine content of sea fish. We make a bait for US catfish using garlic salt ORgarlic powder and non-iodized salt to toughen and flavor chicken livers. Cover them and set in the sun for a few hours or in a food dehydrator (oven is too hot and too dry), turning and recoating periodically. The livers become nice and tough and the fish seem to love the flavor. Use iodized salt and they are not nearly as effective.

BTW - I've not heard chicken livers mentioned as a bait on any of the UK boards. Might be worth a try. You could either use the garlic salt treatment or else put them in a bit of stocking/hose material (the type ladies use on their legs).