Is This Fishing?

Guest Wazzy

Guest phil hackett
Originally posted by Wazzy:

I will first confess that I have a bias hear, one of my passions is for Big Bream fishing during the summer.

First question to those who think there is no skill in what Terry is doing, how many double figure bream have you caught then?

2. Would you recognise a water that held big bream and how?

3. How would you propose to cast to a feature less than 6 ft square at 130 yards? Yes on many of the gravelpits where big bream are caught, the fish are coming at that distance! Reference Big Bream Fishing D. Quirke.

4. How would you get the groundbait needed on the feature at that distance?

5. How many doubles do you think the average big bream angler catches in a season from the type of water terry is fishing?

6. Given the above and the opportunity to use a boat for the above purposes, how many of you would honestly say no to it?

[This message has been edited by phil hackett (edited 07 June 2001).]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest phonebush

Phil,

Great questions!!, can't see how it changes Wazzy's topic. He said, if I read his comment correctly, articles sometime don't reflect the real world of bream fishing. Wassy went out of his way to say his comment was not a dig at the author of the article. Maybe, he says, "I missed the point". Well, what's the point of the article Wazzy is talking about? I read it and tend to agree with Wazzy. Except maybe the part about the man catching phenomenal fish.

Phone

Guest Vagabond

I suggest y'all have a look at the article "The Distant Past" by "chevin" and the pictures of the phenomenal catch of bream at Tring on June 16th 1976.

Anglers of the calibre of Dick Walker acnowledged the initiative and skill required to set up this catch. Sadly, there were those that tried to denigrate it. History seems to be repeating itself.

Just consider - given the same opportunities as Terry Lampard, how many would have chosen the same feature to bait up? Watercraft, or what ? Nick-in-the-North and Phil Hackett have already covered these aspects so I won't repeat them.

My best chub took about three and a half minutes of "fishing time". A few seconds to cast, and just over three minutes to play and land. I had spent three days locating it - and ten minutes on hands and knees creeping into position - but of course according to some, that isn't real fishing time is it?

------------------

Vagabond

Guest Gaffer

I think Phil Hackett is 100% right IMO.

To add to that, IMO, watercraft is 99.9999% location, the rest (0.0001%) is casting skills, rigs, baits, etc.

------------------

All the best,

Gaffer

Guest Elton

Couple of times, I've been boat fishing with Dave Barham.

Each time, there have been a few of us on the boat. As with all charter boat fishing, you rely on the skipper to put you in the vicinity of fish. No skill in that then, eh?

So, how come Dave has caught the biggest fish each time? On top of that, he spends the least time with a rod in the water, spending the rest of the time taking photos for Total Sea Fishing and helping people like me to catch fish.

I'd say there is skill in what Terry has done, and a lot of it. It's just different to the 'conventional' skill that we're used to. People who excel in their chosen field often do so because they choose to approach things differently. How many of us could spend all night watching the water without resisting to the temptation to throw a bait out? Terry Hearn does it. And I know I couldn't!!

Tight lines,

Elton

------------------

Anglers' Net

Keeping It Virtual...

Guest poledark

Personally I put it on the same level as fishing after dark where night fishing is banned, you may catch a lot but THEY DONT COUNT.

poledark

Guest darrell.cook

Definitely a skilled feat.

Locating the right features for his chosen species is true watercraft.

Baiting and catching the desired species is true angling.

I enjoy pole fishing,the similarities would be plumbing up and placing the bait in tne chosen position,no casting involved again,but that doesn't detract from the skill,does it?

Guest Adrian

Perhaps it is viewed as less skillful because of the reduced 'tackle handling' element. The fish location skill involved more than compensates for that. How much time goes into surveying a water to locate features at that distance?.

I suspect the capture was assisted by an 'element of surprise', ie, the fish thought they were safe, in an unfished part of the lake, but so what?.

Personally, it would not be my thing, I do not have the patience and do not get excited by Bream, unless they are in a reasonably paced river. In still waters they have the fighting qualities of a supermarket carrier bag (IMHO).

On a cautionary note, I hope the article came with a 'do not try this at home' warning for youngsters. With summer holidays approaching, the temptation for kids to take to the water to mimick this method could result in tragedy.

With apologies to bream fans.

Adrian

Guest Stewart Bloor

No problem with what Terry did - each to their own and all that. But I notice from the article that he fished with 4 rods and each rod had a rig that comprised 2 hooks. My questions are : Is this permissible, ie fishing 8 hooks? Isn't it the same as fishing 8 rods? Why not fish multiple hooks on 1 rod, say 10, or even 20 strung out across the lake? Where are the legal limits? Does Terry need 4 EA licences? Can you have that many?

Wow, after all those questions, I'm going to take a rest....

Guest Andy Thatcher

I have tried too catch double figure bream form various waters and have invariably failed using similar tactics to those employed by Terry Lampard. So there are my colours nailed to the mast !

My point is why must people disparage this angler and anglers like him as having no ability in water craft and the tactics employed ?

Anybody who buys the Angling Times will regulary see Terry with a catch that most people would see as catches of a lifetime. Not only from lakes but from rivers as well. I believe I am right in saying that Terry has retired so why can he not fish the way he wishes without people belittling his style or results. Come to that why can't I ?

Fishing has wonderfully diverse ways of practicing our sport I doubt if I would ever get excited about catching 100lb of 3-4lb carp on the pole but I appreciate that there is a skill involved.

Do what you want to do, when you want to do it as long as it's legal and have the grace to let others do the same.