The Walkers of Trowell Predator Open

twochay

Hi all, just a quick note to let you know that there are places still available for our first predator open match on 26th November 2011. The match is a £350 winner takes all event with the added bonus of some fabulous back up prizes kindly donated by our sponsors Walkers Of Trowell, the prizes will include lure rods, lures amongst others.

The event is unique with Pike, Zander and Perch all counting towards the total weight. The draw is at 0700 at the clubhouse were tea and cofee will be available. Fishing will be from 0930-1530.

A full list of rules, entry form and more information is available on our website at: www.celticlakesresortfrisby.co.uk (click on events)

Anyone interested in fishing the match should call fishery manager Chay Jackson on: 07791104984

I've got very mixed feelings about predator matches in general, but I suspect that one of your rules will effectively mean that few, if any perch or zander are caught: I'm assuming that tackle of an appropriate strength to subdue pike in excess of 20lbs, and minimum 28lb wire traces will not be condusive to perch or zander taking a nibble?

Rule 5:

5.Anglers must make every effort to employ suitable tackle to play and land Pike in excess of 20lb that will not cause undue stress when landing the fish. Hooks should preferably be semi barbed or barbless and be attached to a wire trace of at least 28lb breaking strain.

Am a tad surprised that a company such as Walkers are involved with a pike match. I wonder if they would if it were a barbel match?

I did in the past have reservations about Pike matches, however as long as they are stewarded in a correct manner and the safety of the fish is ALWAYS put first they are fine. In the British Pike qualifier we had a few weeks back I had 1 steward for every other angler, every one of them good pike anglers themselves ( 5 of us are level 2 ADB coaches) The anglers were, especially the less experienced, advised on various bits as the match unfolded and a great match was had. I am a lifelong Pike angler with many years full time fishery management experience and would NEVER even consider putting the safety of my fish at risk. As for the rule regarding the 28lb minimum trace size etc, you are right to a degree in that the comp is probably going to see 90% pike, however, Zander get caught all the time on Pike gear and we wanted them to count. As for the Perch they get caught on Lures and again we thought it would be nice to count the 3 main predators in the lake, some anglers fish feeder tactics with worm and caster if they are only a few pound behind in the match and again it makes for a good match, different at least. But as you guys correctly pointed out its the wellbeing of the fish that is the main thing and just wanted to reasure you all that is is most certainly a massive priority and we have a zero tolerence policy to anyone breaking the rules.

Twochay when I ran pike matches on my waters I used to think that it was ok as well........done correctly it promoted pike angling and good pike handling practice as well as raising (well back then) much needed funds for the ACA.

Trouble was though that I soon realised (first final I ever attended) that not all (in fact very very few) other matches were ran well! As such I felt that giving my support to the event (s) only gave them a bit more credibility and indeed supported all the bad ones.I decided to stop.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

My experience to a 't'. Attended an area final only to see pike dumped nose first into ordinary keepnets, and saw that it was tolerated by the organisers. Could not believe what I saw and heard, disgusting.

BUDGIE, Peter, All,

BUDGIE I know you've fished over here and maybe you too Peter. At least I know you both (and many other I'm sure) are experienced pikers. Anyway, my question, while we use 90+% boats with live wells in C&R events that may incorporate Northern Pike fish I just read or read into this thread extremely profound differences between the two sides of the pond (like before those who addopeded Euro carping used to be). Have either of you "pike" fished in the US or Canada. How do we "stack-up" by your tournament standards? Not looking for angler skill comparsons or any "cultural judgemental" stuff but could our "top" predator fishermen "pass muster" on your handling techniques and fish safety issues without MAJOR changes?

Phone

Edited by Phone

Phone Ive never Pike or Muskie fished in the US or Canada unfortunately.Furthest north Ive fished across the pond is when Newt,my brother and I fished on the Potomac in Washington DC with Hoppy.Obviously had the time with Newt when he lived in North Carolina (and a trip down to South Carolina for a "Master Class" in pack bait fishing from Bobby.All my other US fishing has been even further South in Texas,Oklahoma,Louisiana and Florida for Alligator Gar and Bass.

However due to my subscription and involvement over the years with In-Fisherman magazine I feel I can make comment.

Tactics wise I think the average US Muskie/Pike man is better than the average UK guy with lures (all though we've got a few coming up fast) and its the reverse with baits.Most US muskie/pike men are pretty inept when it comes to bait fishing for them.A lot of this in most cases is simply historical. I mention this as lure and bait fishing require quite different handling skills. Also the greater percentage of US fishing is from a boat and UK from the bank.

I think a US muskie/pike guy would struggle to come up to standard if he came to fish over here handling wise. However for the US style I think they have a few more things in their favour than us Brits. Us Brits seem to be obsessed with the need to weigh and photo our fish which means the fish being messed around far more that the US system of a boat side cradle and a quick measure of the length.

So differences but I believe both are learning of each other and its all good for pike on both sides of the pond.

I think you wont understand why some of us "hardcore" pikers are so anti "pike matches" until some one takes the time to explain the complete UK pike scene to you mate.Bit late now but if no one else has attempted I will try and pen something tomorrow.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

BUDGIE,

I was most intrigued with the "nose first" into the keepsack. I plead complete ignorance and stupidity. Still, I can't for the life of me figure how nose first would be "different(?)".

I'll never forget bringing a "stringer" to carp fish in England because we were going to use "stringers". Know what I mean?

It isn't that I/we can't learn but there was no explaination of the purpose of placing pike into a keepsack one way. We don't even use keepsacks. How would I know? I would bet my bottom dollar there are English lads who don't know why either - and they've caught pike in England.

Phone

BUDGIE,

I was most intrigued with the "nose first" into the keepsack. I plead complete ignorance and stupidity. Still, I can't for the life of me figure how nose first would be "different(?)".

I'll never forget bringing a "stringer" to carp fish in England because we were going to use "stringers". Know what I mean?

It isn't that I/we can't learn but there was no explaination of the purpose of placing pike into a keepsack one way. We don't even use keepsacks. How would I know? I would bet my bottom dollar there are English lads who don't know why either - and they've caught pike in England.

Phone

Hi Phone, a keep net and a keep sack are similar in purpose, but different in design. A keep sack tends to be wide and not so deep, pike shaped. A keep net is a long cylinder shaped net that goes down into the water, not pike shape, basically meaning that a pike can not lay on an even keel, so to speak. See if I can find a picture.