Bite Indicators

Guest Steve Burke

Guest Steve Burke

I asked this question just after this Forum started but no one seemed able to answer it. Perhaps you lot can?

Why do predator anglers use indicators on the rear rod rest and carp anglers indicators on the front rest?

Coming from a predator background I use either a drop-off indicator (a Fox model with the line clip swapped for a Gardner one) or Alan Pearce's excellent Ringle depending on the circumstances. This is for all my stillwater ledgering, whatever the species.

Am I missing something? Is a front indicator an advantage when carping? There's certainly a couple of disadvantages but I'll leave these until there's a few replies.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest Scott

Good question Steve, my thoughts on this is that predatory fish have a tendancy to hit a live fish and move off with it, in the pikes case to turn before swallowing.

When using a bait when the fish takes it perhaps it is better to allow the fish time to take the bait hence a rear indicator will drop-off or unclip and leave the fish free to take line.

In the case of carp 90% of the time the fish is allready hooked, remember the days when a bolt rig was a stop 4-12" behind the lead and a take was the monkey climber slowly rising then as the stop hit the lead, line screaming of the spool.

When pike fishing seemed to be all based around fishing a sunken float pike anglers (Eddie Turner) came up with the drop-off indicator (well that was the 1st comercial product) at that time carp anglers were'nt fishing for drop backs but as they started they developed more and more of the indicators we see today.

Well thats what I think,

Scott.

Guest DCAPTAINKIRK

i think its on the back rest cos if u have it

on the front rest the line will shoot off your reel cos the bail arm is open and your hanger will be lying on the floor.while the drop off indicator is under the rell cos the line dont shoot off.thats the reason.

------------------

A.KIRK

Guest Alan Pearce

Scott is spot on here, the predator angler fishing with rear indicators is looking for either a drop back or more likely a forward take which pulls free of the indicator and takes line off the spool. Where as the carp man on the whole is fishing a semi fixed self hooking (hopefully safe) rig, this will show as either a drop back or line coming off the reel via a bait runner. The resistance offered by the bait runner does not matter as the fish is already hooked up against the weight, or should be if the weight is heavy enough. On the other hand the Ringle is a light indicator normally fished with a free running confidence rig and the fish is hooked by striking at the take.

Alan.

Guest euan pink

most logical captain,

as you say the indicators on the rear rest will show a drop back take but are primarily sensitive enough to drop clear of the line on a take,as the bail arm is off line can be freely taken,this is necassary as pike may drop the bait due to even the smallest resistance created by a baitrunner.

this baitrunner feature is after all primarily to stop a sleeping anglers rods disappearing into the waters towed by carp as even a 5 pounder can quickly drag a rod in. cool.gifrolleyes.gif