How do you answer a question?

Guest Scott

Guest Scott

I have just answered a post by Steve Burke and as I was typing my answer I thought to myself that perhaps I was being a little bit patronising and as Steve has a lot of experience I felt that perhaps he would know what I was saying without me having to put it in words.

Then it struck me that if someone new to angling was to read some of the posts here would he/she really understand what was being said.

As someone has recently mentioned that we should have a newcommers forum.

Do you think it might be better if we were to answer every post as though we were explaing it to a newcommer.

The person you are replying to might know exactly what you are trying to say but would someone new to fishing understand.

To give an example I have recently taken an interest in photograpy and have visited a few camera forums, I dont understand about 95% of whats being said, is it the same for new anglers that come here.

Is it possible we could do more to help newcommers, I would be interested in what everyone thinks of this,

Thanks,

Scott.

Guest Newt

Scott - I was very much in the "newbie" condition when I first started reading and posting here. Not new to angling but pretty ignorant about many (most, actually) of the UK tackle, rigs, and terms. Very simple - if I didn't understand a question or an answer, I would ask and get a very basic, clear answer. I even had to ask what certain of your fish looked and acted like.

As a general suggestion, I'd say answer to the level of the person posing the question to you and any other new guys/gals can certainly ask for clarification if they need it.

Granted, there will be posters and lukers who won't ask questions and will remain confused. Some may even leave because of it. Their loss.

Speaking of ignorance, could someone explain the difference to me in the Kryston Snakeskin, snakebite, and silkworm? Also, many of your adverts for line say what brand and b/s but nothing about the length of line on the spool. How are you supposed to know how much you will get?

Guest Tim Kelly

I agree with Newt. "Dumbing down" is all too prevelent at the moment. We all start from a position of ignorance and slowly learn by trying to understand what the people with experience are talking about. I think that anyone who is genuinely interested will ask questions and learn by reading posts and putting the jigsaw together. If everyone tried to explain too clearly the point they were trying to make the whole flow of the forum would be lost.

Good fishing

Tim

Guest Steve Burke
Originally posted by Newt:

As a general suggestion, I'd say answer to the level of the person posing the question to you and any other new guys/gals can certainly ask for clarification if they need it.

Excellent advice from Newt as usual.

To the less experienced I'd say please, please don't be shy about coming forward. We all had to start somewhere and I very much doubt that you'll get your head bitten off, especially if you declare you're inexperienced.

It's also often the case that the best new ideas come from those relatively new to the sport. We oldtimers are often set in our ways and can't see the wood from the trees! Your idea might be the missing piece that completes the jigsaw.

It should also be remembered that a Forum such as this is read by thousands of anglers of mixed ability. What may be obvious to a few may not be so to most. Additionally, none of us knows everything, especially outside of his own speciality. I've learnt a lot from this Forum, especially about species like carp I'm not so familiar with.

Above all, ask questions and never be afraid to admit you don't know it all. As you'll have seen I'm not, and so I pick up valuable ideas. This and making new friends is what this Forum is all about!

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest Gaffer
Originally posted by Newt:

Speaking of ignorance, could someone explain the difference to me in the Kryston Snakeskin, snakebite, and silkworm?  Also, many of your adverts for line say what brand and b/s but nothing about the length of line on the spool.  How are you supposed to know how much you will get?

Hi Newt, I've actually got the origional instructions which come with the Snake-bite and Snake skin which I'll scan and post for you tomorrow.

Until then, Kryston Snake-skin and Kryston Snake-bite (and the new ish Kryston Snake-bite Gold - which is brown!) are hook-link materials.

Snake-skin came out first, it is a multi-strand core (like some makes of dental floss) which has a green plastic type coating.(Cost, about £12.50 for 25m)

With the coating left on it is fairly stiff, but the stiff (ish) coating can be removed carefully with hot water/steam or by peeling it back with your finger-nail.

What is good about the stuff is that you can remove sections to enhance/to get the presentation required.

For example, you coud tie up a 12in hook-length (which would be stiff ish and tangle free) and then remove the last inch or two of the coating before the hook.

The finished rig is then a Combi-rig, a stiff boom to prevent tangles, but with a supple section at the hook.

By allowing the hook-length at the hook to be very supple this will aid the hook to turn downwards towards the bottom lip.(esp when using the knotless-knot)

You can remove sections to produce a Hinged Stiff pop-up rig etc.

Snake-bite has the same coating as Snake-skin, but instead of multi-strand, it has a braid core.

Again, by removing sections you can make your desired rig.

Snake-skin Gold is the same as above (braid core), but has a brown coating, not green.

Very recently a new hook-link from Kryston has been launched, apparently (I've not seen any yet) it's called Super-mantis or something.(I'll have to get some and have a play!)

Apparently it has the same principle as Snake-bite, but is much stiffer and the inner braid is much more supple.(more to my liking!)

Silkworm is a very supple braid (just braid!) which is also made by Kryston.

I hope I've explained that ok, if not, the instruction leaflets will! wink.gif

------------------

All the best,

Gaffer

Guest poledark

I hope I can claim to have a fair bit of fishing knowledge but none of us know everything and one of my first posts was a simple question askin for clarification and it would have been very easy for anyone to take the p~~s but no,I got some good simple answers and as you can se I am still here.

poledark.

Guest DerwentBob

Just an idea but how about a Q&A forum where the convention is that only questions may be posted as new topics and only answers may be posted as replies.

This would be a better idea than a junior forum or a beginners forum as there would be no stigma to using it, the forum would be for anyone at any level with any question. I have seen this type of thing work in other fields where there is a great deal of technical knowledge required by beginners, such as climbing, and I think most regulars would stop by on a regular basis to put in their two penn'orth.

Guest Newt

Thanks Gaffer. Appreciate the information. Nothing like that available in the US AFAIK and it sounds interesting. Looks like I may be doing another UK mail order soon. biggrin.gif