Turning casters?

lozza

Cheers for the info about keeping casters some things to try out. So how and what equipment will I need to turn casters. Just from shop bought maggs?

A separate fridge, couple of shallow trays,a good riddle, sawdust/maize and a load of time/work mate! If you really get good at it you can expect around 3 pints of quality casters from 4 of maggots on average.

NB-In fact I should have said two riddles or to be exact one riddle (for cleaning the maggots) and one sieve (for removing the maize/sawdust)

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Cheers for the info about keeping casters some things to try out. So how and what equipment will I need to turn casters. Just from shop bought maggs?

Another simple method for small amounts is just to riddle your maggots as you sit there, get one that fits on a square box. Tip em out into a spare box. On a hot day it wont be long for some of them to turn... good way to compare tackle shops.

"Muddlin' along"

Leave maggots in tub for 2 days in your tackle-bag. Open it to see what state your maggots are in when you finally can be bothered to tidy up the soaking mess you left in the shed 'for another day' mainly because you were cold, wet and miserable. Besides, there was hot stew on the stove and a western on the telly.

You now have a tub of casters.

Now take everything else out of wet bag and spread it around to dry. Remove any uneaten sandwiches, wrappers, biscuit packets and put into bin. Open flask and breathe in the foul stench of matured soup and march towards kitchen with flask at arms length. Bypass the kitchen and tip the contents into the toilet and flush immediately. Return to kitchen and fill flask with hot water and some bleach for good measure.

Stick with me mate. I'll 'learn' you a thing or two.

On a hot day it wont be long for some of them to turn... good way to compare tackle shops.

That's great advice now that it's almost Winter. My way wins every time.

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Remember when you are handling/breeding/keeping/touching maggots to always wash your hands for like 5 minutes afterwards, especially under the nails. Otherwise within 12 hours you'll probably have the squirts :P

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Rubbish....been handling maggots and not washing my hands 5 mins later for decades mate. Never been ill from handling maggots. Are you telling you wash your hands every time you bait a hook or catty in some bait?

Handled maggots 1000s of times and then tucked into a sarny later and never been ill as a result.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

When I was a kid, my friends and I sometimes fished half a maggot for gudgeon. We used to bite the maggot in half :yucky:

Wouldn't do that now, but it didn't kill us.

They are covered in bacteria, some of which are quite dangerous, but the risk is more about contaminating food and then giving it time to incubate than contaminating your sandwich while you are eating it. Still a bit disgusting, I will grant.

Rubbish....been handling maggots and not washing my hands 5 mins later for decades mate. Never been ill from handling maggots. Are you telling you wash your hands every time you bait a hook or catty in some bait?

Handled maggots 1000s of times and then tucked into a sarny later and never been ill as a result.

No I don't wash my hands every time I bait a hook, but I don't put my hands to my mouth either. When eating I either use hand gel or eat through the wrapper/clingfilm so there is no direct contact.

Then as soon as i'm home I wash my hands thoroughly.

I know you can get ill because I used to go fishing, come back, wash my hands, have a shower and sit down. Then i'd sit there and bite my nails. I wondered why I had the sh*t's a few hours later. Didn't take me long to work out the correlation between going fishing > biting my nails > getting ill.

Maybe you just have a better resistance to it?

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."