Fishing a ''blood sport''

Guest fish slime

Guest fish slime

I was fishing down at Rodley marina few days ago and couldnt help noticeing some one had spray painted "fishing is a blood sport"on the bridge at the side of the canal.

what are your veiws on the matter.

happy fishing

fish slime

Guest Umber

Fish slime, I think blood sports are those where anyone sets out deliberatly to kill,

shooting for example. Coarse fishing and catch and release trout fishing would not be. I suppose taking game fish for the pot

would come under that heading. It will be interesting to see others views.

Guest Leon Roskilly

I don't know of any fox hunters who buy beds to lie the fox down on, whilst they treat any minor damage with Klinik, then nurse it carefully to make sure that it returns back to the wild to resume it's interrupted day with the minimum of stress!

Fish that are caught for food are quickly and humanely despatched by most anglers, unlike the slow crushing, suffocating, death in the gill net, trawl, or hold, that many veggies' alternative to meat suffers.

Tight Lines - leon

Once again we fall into the same old trap. Reponding without thinking to outside influences. What is the difference between 'blood sports' and 'country sports'. At the end of the day we all pursue and try to capture our prey. We all hunt our prey, it is just the end result that differs or does it. How many fish die after being caught. I ask that you think deeply before responding instead of rapidly dashing something off

Guest Ken L

Interesting to note that the anti angling brigade are committed enviromentalists.

There's nothing like graffiti to degrade the human enviroment !

Wonder if the can used a CFC propellant ?

Guest Keith
Originally posted by esox:

Once again we fall into the same old trap. Reponding without thinking to outside influences. What is the difference between 'blood sports' and 'country sports'. At the end of the day we all pursue and try to capture our prey. We all hunt our prey, it is just the end result that differs or does it. How many fish die after being caught. I ask that you think deeply before responding instead of rapidly dashing something off

And I would ask the same of you, Esox: as far as I am concerned, angling is as far from being a blood sport as is bird watching or gardening - all your comments will do is give to the lurking anti's on this forum, the bullets to shoot us with.

Terms like "Country sport" are an irrelevance anyway, given the preponderance of urban and suburban anglers, as is the idea that because we all "hunt our prey"we're somehow all the same.

This is more a failing in our use of the language to come up with better way of describing our desire to catch fish, than to any inherent similarities between angling and blood sports.

Simply, we do not go out with the express intention of damaging or destroying our chosen "quarry", and that difference alone puts a huge gulf between us and them.

As I say, we're closer to birders than we are fox hunters, hare coursers and the like.

------------------

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland

mailto:keith@go-fishing.co.ukkeith@go-fishing.co.uk

http://www.wacacnet.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Keith (edited 15 July 2001).]

Guest chris mc

who ever asked how many fish die from being caught my answer to that is about outa about 45 fish i caught today not one died.the only kinda fish ive ever seen die after being caght is them very small perch which are a pale couler.if it was a blood sport which isnt why do we look after are fish so much?why do we try not to handle them?why do some us use barbless hooks so less damage happens to fish?why do we look after the invirament they live in?

in no way at all is fishing a blood sport the rspca etc probally put there animals under alot moor stress then what us anglers put are fish under.think all moving etc they do to there animals (im not haven go rspca bad example sorry)

[This message has been edited by chris mc (edited 15 July 2001).]

Guest 'eelfisher'

Dear all

Blood sport.....well if today had gone slightly different then yes I could say that our beloved sport was termed a blood sport.

I went on to the Derwent to fish for a few hours. After baiting up the swim and setting up the float rod, I settled down to pushing a stick float down the inviting crease. I went down about five or six times with a small piece of meat and bingo I connected to a decent chub....this is alright I thought, looking forward to the next few hours of bonding with nature and relaxing in my new found world.

Then a loony decided to stand on the high bank 20 yards away and shout at the top of his voice as to whether I had caught anything as yet. My answer was a "I won't do now, will I" to which he replied "why not".!!!

I just said "I have a strange feeling, thats all" and then continued the wasted energy of working the float down the lovely crease that screamed chub and possible barbel later on.

Then my new found friend shouted out "Thats the way to do it......WHOOOO-HEEEY!!!!" This continued for three more small chub to his rod which was fishing the middle area of my baited up swim...his swim wasn't even a proper swim....each time he got more louder and more informative. Obviously he thought I was crap at this fishing lark due to not having caught a fish since his entrance on the scene.(I think that he had just been whiened into fishing by watching too much John Wilson on the television.)

After two hours and one chub of 3.14 I decided to not let our sport become a blood sport and went home and e-mailed 'the trent barbeler' to ease my frustration.

The cold cider also helped....and tomorrow it is the empty banks of the Trent for me and my rods........

Think before you post....a good idea all round.

This thread has been done to death in the past.....OOOppps...wrong wording!!!!!!!

Yours With Respect.....

Steve.

[This message has been edited by 'eelfisher' (edited 15 July 2001).]

Guest TheDacer

Fishing a blood sport? Nah..

I think a blood sport involves, by definition, blood. And I don't know of any anglers who set out to see the fishes blood.

Most anglers - thankfully - look after their catch. (As someone said, treat it with Klinik etc..)

Not much "blood" in that, is there?

If you catch and kill - for the pot - then that might be a blood sport. But why not eat the fish? They do in most other countries. I've heard that Zander is really tasty!

But even that - catching for the pot - is worlds apart from catching and killing for the fun of it.

I've never heard of anyone eating fox..

Guest Alan Pearce

So what about sea and game fishing where many of the fish caught are killed? There is no difference between killing a trout or a cod or shooting a duck or a grouse. As well as being conservationists anglers are hunters and trappers, the same applies to other field sports.

Alan.