tench bashin

Guest fish slime

Guest fish slime

How can i go about catching tench none stop or to get the best possible net.i know 20 lb nets have come out of my local pond and i wouldnt mind doin it myself.

i used casters my last session and didnt do too bad but i would like to do better.

can anyone help?

happy baggin

Guest darrell.cook

I'm fortunate to live right by a small canal pond that holds a huge head of small tench. biggrin.gif

I tend to fish it early or late,more often than not straight after work on a night shift.I usually feed some groundbait on my way to work the night before.

I've fished it only once this year(dead loss in the colder months) and that was last week.

Large weed growth prevented me fishing my usual swim,and I hadn't prebaited.

I fished the pole and to draw the fish I cupped in corn and sweet liquid molasses.The tactic worked and I managed to pack the fish tightly in one area,their presence given away by their distinctive bubbles.I fished plain corn and sensas strawberry and tutti frutti corn.Jolly Green Giant smashed the opposition!

I finished the session at about 09.30 and had caught about 30 some odd tench,from a few ounces to a pound in weight,hardly specimins but great fun.

My experience on this pond is that they respond to groundbait (I use "stench") and usually double red maggot produces more bites,but corn produces the bigger fish.

Guest matt_shaw

Catching large bags of tench is an art. Tench are usually large fish 2lb+ - although you can catch smaller smile.gif To catch fish of this nature, every bit of tackle needs to be right - as does the bait. You need to uderstand the tenches feeding patterns, and more importantly the peg and swim you choose. You need to gear up your approach to concentrating on the venues tench and nothing else.

So the first thing you need to shape up on is 'watercraft'. AN can help biggrin.gif See the 'watercraft' thread, nominated thread of the month. To catch tench, you need to locate them.

'fishing is like playing golf without the flags' - Dick Stafford, Trinders Tackle.

Lets presume, ( god forebid ), that you have shaped up on watercraft and have located the tench in your venue. You have found your fave peg/swim and you are now setting up. what bait have you got? Well we know there are certain bait that are noted for catching tench. Using these you can't go far wrong. Tench are mainly bottom feeders, so you want to aim in laying down a nice carpet of feed. Use a high-food content groundbait such as Sensas 3000 Tench and mix it 50% - 50% with brown crumb. Add to your groundbait the feed you want to hold the fish in your swim with, e.g. sweecorn, caster, red maggot and luncheonmeat. Ball this around an area 1m square.

You have a 'holding' bed of feed, now you need to attract them to this. This is where you need to loose-feed offten smaller baits like micro pellet ot maggot or even caster. maggot may attract unwanted small roach etc.

Use any of the baits added to your groundbait on the hook, this should ensure you catch your quarry - the tench.

Make sure you have the right terminal tackle, a suitable hook, suitable line and a suitable float and a suitable shotting pattern. Aim to get the hook bait down on the deck quickly. For close fishing a 3BB waggler is fine. For deep water and distance fishing use a 3AAA waggler. Shot the bristle down as much as possible so that you can still see it. This will creat less resistance to the fish taking your bait.

Hope that helps tongue.giftongue.gif

------------------

ECO Timber Panels, Barn Way, Lodge Farm Ind. Estate

The ECO - lodgical choice for wood

Tel. (01604) 759222 Find us at http://www.Yell.com/