braid

Guest john

Guest john

i have just purchased some power pro braid for lure fishing.can i use it srtaight thro to the hook for barbelling?

Guest fisherking

Don't forget that there is no stretch in braid so when you strike into a fish you will not have the cushioning effect that mono gives you.

I have spider wire on a mitchell 300 which I have used for barbel but i have a mono leader/hooklength.

John.

forgive my ignorance,but what do you gain by having braid as your main line and a mono hooklength,is it for better bite indication?also ,what breaking strains do you use? thanks.

Guest fisherking

The braid I have is spider wire and if I fished it straight through and it got snagged I doubt if you would ever snap it so therefore a mono hooklength which you could snap if need be.

Secondly the mono gives you at least a little bit of stretch so when you get one of those mad rod wrenching bites you have a bit of cushion and are able to grab your rod.

Try it yourself go to a river after barbel and try the rig set up both ways and you will see what I mean when you get a bite.

The braid actually helps in certain situations i.e fishing into snaggy swims and because of the reduced stretch you have more chance of steering the fish out.

John.

thanks again.i am on the teme next week for 5 days.i will give both methods a go.it just seems to me that if i am using a 6/8lb hook length i may as well use a 8/12lb main line.what do you think.i must say that the braid i bought is primarily for lure fishing,but it seems ideal for bullying those barbel away from the snags. cheers.

Guest tony jolley

Hi,

I have been using braided line for the last 5 years for my eel fishing, I`ve had no problems (fingers crossed) I think fisherkings advise is sound and you should try it his way,

My reasons for using braid are that I dont want to give a big eel an inch in the snaggy areas I fish for them so the lack of stretch is important,

You will be able to "feel" every thing through the line the contours of the river bed as you pull back and the slightest pull from the fish,

As Fisherking has said use some sort of "bungee" to give you a bit of leeway on playing the fish at least until you get used to the braid and its feel, You`ll feel your rod creacking as the fish puts it under presure this will make you heart pound but have faith and use your clutch or back wind,

If I were using on river I would back my clutch off when you get them in close as you may not get a second chaceif the hook pulls,

rememmber that and you`ll have no problems,

Enjoy the feel as you wont have felt the same "power" from a fish before!.

Let us know what you think after you`ve used it.

I`m using 20lb fire line,

------------------

Tony B.T Jolley

Guest Steve Burke

I'm not a barbel angler so can only speak from experience with other species. I use braided mainlines for lure fishing and floater fishing for which they are excellent, as they are for feature finding.

However, there's one big disadvantage and that is the very poor abrasion resistance. This is contrary to the claims of many suppliers, but having been in the tackle trade myself and spoken to some of the manufacturers themselves I can assure you it's true. On my own lakes at Wingham several of the carp anglers have found this out to their cost! In fact the problem is so acute I may have to ban braided mainlines for ledgering. However, I hate bans on principle and the message about the dangers means that only the odd new member gets caught out - but only once!

If you're going to use braid for barbel fishing I'd suggest that not only do you use a mono hooklength but you also choose a braided mainline with a much higher stength than usual - it'll still probably be thinner than your normal mono. This way you'll still have the low stretch advantage of braid but you'll have minimised the abrasion problem. However, I suspect that the mono, even though it's lighter than the braid, will still be much more abrasion resistant.

BTW, there's more on the pros and cons of braid on the Carp Forum in the articles section of Angler's Net.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest fisherking

John out of curiosity what stretch of the Teme are you going to and where are you staying.

John.