spool backing

Guest fishybitch

Guest fishybitch

Hi all

what do you think is the best material to partly fill a reel spool before putting your main line on?

------------------

Guest Mike aka Bigman

Hi,

You've got a number of options really, you could buy some really cheap line from a car boot or some tackle shops have an oddments bin with end of line stock for next to nothing, alternatively most anglers that have been fishing for a while have various end of spool odds and ends left over.

------------------

Regards, Mike.

SACG member

Guest Vagabond

I use old dacron, old fly lines or thin string. Anything but springy nylon.

The trick is to wind onto the empty spool the amount of line you want to fish with, then fill to just below the lip of the spool with your backing. Then reel it all off onto a spare reel or winder, then as it will now be the wrong way round, reel it back onto a SECOND spare reel or winder. Now fill your spool from this and it will finish up filled just right.

Of course if you don't mind spending megabucks you fill the whole darn thing from a bulk spool, which saves a lot of time.

Something worth making is a line winder. Four bits of lath (two glued together at right angles each end) bored to run on a central spindle, and with holes at each end to take four lengths of cane as cross bars. Three cross bars say, 6 inches long and the fourth twice as long so as to protrude out as a winding handle. If you make the holes for the pieces of cane 12.6 inches apart ( or 6.3 inches from the spindle) the cane cross bars will be exactly 9 inches apart,(Pythagorus - boring!) so each turn of the handle recovers exactly one yard of line. As the winder is 6 inches wide, even 300 yards of 20 lb nylon put on it will not increase the effective diameter by much. Very useful for measuring off required lengths from a bulk spool.

------------------

Vagabond

Guest rondo
Originally posted by fishybitch:

Hi all

what do you think is the best material to partly fill a reel spool before putting your main line on?

Find an old lady or a shop selling wool (knitting) this was always the best for filling spools.I agree with winding onto a spool and then winding back to another.Keep the tension on but NOT TOO TIGHT.

RONDO

Guest bart4real

I alwys buy shallow spools these days as the line ends up rotting before you get to use it. What I used to do was to build up the spool with insulation tape until the desired level was reached. Much better than using string or some of the other ideas I have heard over the years.

Originally posted by fishybitch:

Hi all

Guest RONAN
Originally posted by bart4real:

I alwys buy shallow spools these days as the line ends up rotting before you get to use it. What I used to do was to build up the spool with insulation tape until the desired level was reached. Much better than using string or some of the other ideas I have heard over the years.

That`s interesting BART, I`ve used that same technique in the past and thought I was the only one to do this. The exception, I would use linerless electrical wire wrap..(LOL)

RONAN