Fishing methods......tactics..ect

craynerd

Hi, if you havent seen my last post, then i will explain, i am a near enough total noob to fishing. I`m gonna get my gear tomorow ...see other my other thread.

So sorry but, yes here are all the nooby questions coming out.

Basically i have a done a few google searches but found little of relevence....other than buying books are there any areas on the net showing simple rig setups, ect.

As i say, tomorow night i will hope to have, rod reel......so what else do i need.

I`m float fishing in lakes for simple catches to start with, so i presume thats pirch ect.....

So although i will hopefully get help from the guy at the shop, i just wanna know some basics....

What line.....

what sizes hooks, what selection

what floats?

How do i tie my line

What weights

Then on to more complex things like, whats the best setup....? I remeber from about 7 years back when i was 15ish and use to fish, you have to balance your float...ect. How deep/ what distance between float and bait?

If anyone can recommend a website that has any of this info i would also be greatful or have a crack yourself. Like i say it would be useful to have some basics before going tomorow!!

Regards

Chris R

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

Hi craynerd & welcome to AN. You have asked such an open question it is difficult to answer.

When you go to the tackle shop, explain what you want to do, ie float fish to begin with. Tell them your budget and ask to see a range of float rods & reels in your price range. Line? I would go for a 4/5lb and that will cover you for most float fishing. You can always have a lighter hook length on if neccessary.

Just make sure to find out all you need from your tackle dealer, at the end of the day he wants your business, so make him earn it!

Good luck. If you decide to brave these cold conditions don't expect to catch much as it is really hard going

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Welcome to AN Craynerd. You sound a bit like me, getting back to fishing having last fished in your youth. You will find the guys on here nothing but helpful, but I agree it can be daunting. There are some good links here http://www.go-fishing.co.uk/ Some are blind but others good. Have fun

a fish,a fish, my kingdom for a fish

craynerd ,hi i have some beginners articles on my web site ,if you care to take alook there might be some of intrest to you ,check out the beginners page and the articles page,theres some good ones by john wilson in there by very kind permision of Masterline (its part of the deal they let me host the articles and i have to tell

everyone how wonderfull they are)theres some by me,not brilliant but good i hope.there are articles to cover most things.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I would really reccomend buying a good book to get you started, there are several "Encyclopedia of coarse fishing" type books out there, and most will cover the basics of most situations you'll find!

The John Wilson one was pretty good if it's still in print.

Mat

Mat

as mat says theres plenty of good books that are detailing most tactic's and styles which maybe

available from your local library plus theres loads of great angling video's to watch.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

To be honest, if you're looking to fish for general coarse species, your best best will be to wait till it warms up a bit then take yourself out to your local venues and talk to or sit behind (watching) the successful guy's (or girls) there.

Sure, some will tell you to P off but most should be happy to advise you about whsat they're doing and why they're doing it - unless they're in the middle of a big match.

If you work with any anglers, see if you can wangle a day out with them. They'll probably be only to happy to share tthe cost of fuel.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Hi guys, dont wanna start a new thread as i feel i have been interupting your sensible chat a little too much lately so just have a little question with regards to tactics....

If you were to go out tomorrow the weather being pretty damn cold, fishing for fun i.e whatever type and whatever size fish, in a lake or lodge with little wind....what exact setup would you use??? Float, ledger..??

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

craynerd - feel perfectly free to start a new topic any time you wish.

We would die without new topics. Without new folks asking questions, we'd be just a bunch of old farts chatting with each other and that would get seriously boring in a hurry.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I would be taking my feeder rod with a blockend feeder attached, (enlarge the holes a bit) laced with red and white maggots, with 2 reds on a size 18 hook. Not much need for plumbing as you will be on the bottom, which is where you really want to be this weather...(no groundbait or catapulted freebies either), recast every 15 mins, but not all over the place try and keep it tight to your first instinct unless fish are showing elsewhere, then and only then would I move..

Try and position yourself 90 degrees to your swim, and choose the softest or most sensitive quiver tip you have, then tighten your line till you get a slight bend in the tip. then watch.

good luck..Kev

[ 25. February 2005, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]