barbel at makins

cobra

:huh: i wonder if anyone can help me

my daughter and i and a few friends went to makins this last saturday as we had been advised we could catch barbel there the anglers mail had it in there a few weeks back saying that the lizard lake in phase 2 holds them up to 16lb and pegs 77- 80 are ther red hot pegs so of we went . we spent the day there and caught lots of roach small bream and small carp but nothing else after chatting to lots of fellow anglers found out that noone had caught barbel that day and some fished there regular said they never had. my daughter wants to catch barbel and chubb and i know peeps will say go to a river but does makins hold them and what lake are we most likely to catch big chub and especially barbel.

so please help someone must know as peeps keep giving me different advise.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know exactly what part of Northamptonshire your in but if you want Chub or Barbel your on the doorstep of one of the best fisheries going for them both. The ouse from Mk dwn to bedford i've never been convinced about these lake chub let alone stillwater barbel. Theres plenty of river there go get them. I really wouldnt think about still water fishing for them.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Guest Rabbit

err look at the shape of the barbel, what does it tell you? that's right its a very efficient bottom dwelling RIVER fish, so why on earth would anyone ...................... {content deleted}

{admin note: if you don't like it, don't do it but ease back on bashing someone for asking. Present arguments against if you wish but without all the invective.

Newt}

I have had plenty of barbel out of both the Lizard and Lagoon pools over the years, the best was 8lb with quite a few 6-7lb fish. On the last few recent evening sessions I've always caught at least one. They usually feed better late on in the day, so if you can stay until closing time (presumably still 9 pm) you stand a better chance. Floatfish luncheonmeat on the bottom hard to margin cover, either under overhanging bushes or where the reeds are bent over and floating on the surface. It pays to wander around (which you can in the evening as it starts to empty) trying likely looking margin spots for no more than 10 minutes, if you catch one fish keep fishing that spot until the bites dry up and then move on. You'll catch lots more carp than barbel though.

The chub population seems to have diminished on Phase Two, I've had some good chub in the past but haven't caught any at all recently.

Wicker "Phil Taylor" Dave.

Using http://www.fisheries.co.uk/makin/phasetwo/makinphase2.pdf as a reference, if I had to pick a Lizard barbel swim it would be the three or four pegs east of 28 (mislabelled I think, that looks like it should be peg 28 on Lagoon) starting at the island point swim. The corner west of 20 and the swim immediately west of the bush/tree (25?) on the 27 to 20 stretch have also produced for me. In the margins at all swims.

I dont know exactly what part of Northamptonshire your in but if you want Chub or Barbel your on the doorstep of one of the best fisheries going for them both. The ouse from Mk dwn to bedford i've never been convinced about these lake chub let alone stillwater barbel. Theres plenty of river there go get them. I really wouldnt think about still water fishing for them.

I agree with the above, why don't you join a club that has them on the great Ouse or another river or stream near you?.

If you look for a river which holds them then look for the typical barbel swim features and use a bit of stealth and fish in the evening you should connect with the Barbel, plus they will give you a better fight.

However if you are after easy Barbeling and fishing for the less fit Barbel then you might be better off fishing a still water like Makins in the evening.

I don't agree with taking Barbel out of there more natural surroundings and stuffing them into stillwaters either; can you tell? :)

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

As people have already said barble should be in flowing water not lakes and ponds, the only barble i ever caught out of a like gave virtually no fight so whats the point?

I'm from Leicester and i make a pint of at least twice a year going down to bewdly to fish the severn, last time i went was september last year for a week, had loads of fish topped of by a 10 1/2 pounder for me and my dad had one just over 12lb that took over 30 mins to get in!

This is proper barbel fishing B)

If I really wanted to be pedantic about it I could say that the only proper barbel fishing is from those Yorkshire rivers that flow East and that all other barbel in other rivers should be eliminated as they're foreign species in an un-natural aquatic environment, so if anyone wants to fish for barbel in still waters well thats allright by me

Bring back keepnets thats what I say

Guest Rabbit
err look at the shape of the barbel, what does it tell you? that's right its a very efficient bottom dwelling RIVER fish, so why on earth would anyone ...................... {content deleted}

{admin note: if you don't like it, don't do it but ease back on bashing someone for asking. Present arguments against if you wish but without all the invective.

Newt}

Invective,

Barbel more than any other coarse fish require a suitable habitat to LIVE rather than EXIST. This is an Angling forum I would have thought that a bit of passion about the welfare of our sport and barbel could be understood even if you do not fish for them.

Strange that obscene U tube clips can be tolerated (Ronaldo 'sold') and yet my comments are likely to offend :lol: