barbel at makins

cobra

Sheesh! My grayling pond, with 5-fish kill tickets available, really isn't gonna be popular with you guys, is it? :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barbel can't spawn in stillwaters and hence are not usually found there, but they don't seem to be able to spawn in the Windrush or Thames either!

Maybe not in the lower/mid Thames but they do spawn in some of the Thames Tributaries like the Kennet and the upper Lea etc. and in the upper Thames where it is more natural and cleaner and not just a large deep and Muddy river.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Sheesh! My grayling pond, with 5-fish kill tickets available, really isn't gonna be popular with you guys, is it? :D

No carp pond with a "with 5-fish kill tickets"? That I'd join! :P

Rich

The "make room for more carp" cynics weren't wrong actually...

Meanwhile, BW Makins Lake One on Phase One is being turned into a water for carp anglers with the stocking of 200 carp between 10lb and 25lb.

These fish will come from Earlswood Reservoir's Engine Lake. BW's angling adviser Carl Nicholls has confirmed that Lake One will eventually be turned into a 24-hour syndicate water.

cobra, just don't ask about tactics for stillwater gudgeon, as all hell will break loose :rolleyes:.

Guest Rabbit
Likewise! However.... ;)

In the same way I'd expect Barbel to do well in good quality waters, potentially thrive, you never know the next Barbel record could be a 25lber from a gravel pit! Clearly Barbel can't spawn in stillwaters and hence are not usually found there, but they don't

Rich

The barbel is not adapted to live in still waters, yes it could possibly survive but why take such a well adapted fish of the river and place in a still water? if it is to satisfy the match angler than that's a poor reason, carp satisfy their insatiable appetite to bag biig weights for the biggest prize money. Or is it to satisfy the curious pleasure angler who cannot be bothered to fish for the species in it's preferred environment?

i suspect your comment regarding the 25lb gravel pit barbel is 'tongue in cheek'

i hope so, but if it did come to that then the 'record' would not be recognised, because there is stil some pockets of common sense in our sport, but for how long?

i have said before that match angling in such a environment as Makin's has more to do with darts than fishing. i can see Fish 'O' Mania being played out in front of a lager swilling audience with the weights being announced to the rabble.

At the risk of being accused as something I am not, is there not a question we should be asking regarding fish welfare? It's bad enough cramming to many fish in such a small water, but to deny a chub or barbel of it's basic requirement...running water is poor, for the sake of the darts fraternity.

i have said before that match angling in such a environment as Makin's has more to do with darts than fishing. i can see Fish 'O' Mania being played out in front of a lager swilling audience with the weights being announced to the rabble.

A bit subdued this morning Rabbit? :) I was thinking more like American ten-pin bowling myself, but I have fished a few stocked commercials for trout. Not that I care for it. First time for everything though.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Guest Rabbit
A bit subdued this morning Rabbit? :) I was thinking more like American ten-pin bowling myself, but I have fished a few stocked commercials for trout. Not that I care for it. First time for everything though.

Subdued? B)

Ten Pin Bowling? . Ah yes the 'Strike' see where you are coming from

Either way it is not fishing really either in a stock pond for trout or a carp puddle for barbel.

But if it rocks some peoples boat then who am I to criticise, I can only advise as to the error of their ways :D

Subdued? B)

Ten Pin Bowling? . Ah yes the 'Strike' see where you are coming from

Either way it is not fishing really either in a stock pond for trout or a carp puddle for barbel.

But if it rocks some peoples boat then who am I to criticise, I can only advise as to the error of their ways :D

Subdued in that it didn't seem like your usual 'reply with gusto' :)

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...