barbel at makins

cobra

Guest Rabbit
If I really wanted to be pedantic about it I could say that the only proper barbel fishing is from those Yorkshire rivers that flow East and that all other barbel in other rivers should be eliminated as they're foreign species in an un-natural aquatic environment, so if anyone wants to fish for barbel in still waters well thats allright by me

Bring back keepnets thats what I say

Wrong on all counts.

Even the keep net comment. never been away have they <_<

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be wrong in your head only, you can't argue against natural history and illegal barbel stockings or the mass stocking of "foreign " rivers in the 50's and 60's by the water boards and Angling Times

It might not suit you but for many the only chance to catch a barbel is in a stillwater and you want to have a go at them for that,strange seeing as how the anglers in question have no control over stocking policies of the owners

It is'nt for me either still water barbel fishing, as I am a river angler and quite a successful barbel angler too but I have no problem with those that choose to fish still waters for them

Brian ( an angler who fish's for the true strain and stock of britains barbel in their natural rivers)

Might be wrong in your head only, you can't argue against natural history and illegal barbel stockings or the mass stocking of "foreign " rivers in the 50's and 60's by the water boards and Angling Times

So Brian, are you saying that Barbel evolved entirely in the Yorkshire rivers eco system and no-one has ever introduced them at some point?

I'm pretty sure that most fish in this country were 'introduced' to various rivers, ponds, lakes etc at some point during the last 1000 years by monks into monastery ponds as a source of food (especially carp) and that at if you go back far enough in time the vast majority of fish in these "foreign waters" could be classed as illegal stockings.

James

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"

Guest Rabbit

It might not suit you but for many the only chance to catch a barbel is in a stillwater and you want to have a go at them for that,strange seeing as how the anglers in question have no control over stocking policies of the owners

It is'nt for me either still water barbel fishing, as I am a river angler and quite a successful barbel angler too but I have no problem with those that choose to fish still waters for them

Brian ( an angler who fish's for the true strain and stock of britains barbel in their natural rivers)

There are plenty of anglers that will disagree with those sentiments, (anglers not match anglers) or of course some fishery owners who see the barbel as just another attraction to their circus. As far as anglers not having any control over stocking, have you never heard of consumer power?

But we anglers are not very good at showing a united front, hence the ridiculous situation of barbel being stocked in muddy holes.

As you will know barbel cannot spawn in still waters, they do need gravel runs, that alone denies them the very reason they exist. Perhaps you prefer these 'barbel' anglers to fish such places and not clutter the rivers? ;)

In some cases a zoo might be the only place some folk can see a lion, that does not make it right does it?

The trout and salmon fishers have a strict code of conduct, put in place to protect their sport, it's a pity coarse angling does not give a damn about it's own affairs, but of course we have to bow to the greedy not so few who want to ruin the ethics of our wonderful pastime for the sake of profit.

The barbel have swam English rivers for many centuries, it is a beautiful well adapted fish, let us keep it that way.

So Brian, are you saying that Barbel evolved entirely in the Yorkshire rivers eco system and no-one has ever introduced them at some point?

I'm pretty sure that most fish in this country were 'introduced' to various rivers, ponds, lakes etc at some point during the last 1000 years by monks into monastery ponds as a source of food (especially carp) and that at if you go back far enough in time the vast majority of fish in these "foreign waters" could be classed as illegal stockings.

James

Barbel are natural only to the eastern flowing rivers James, as (I believe) was the burbot.

They are the remainders of when we were joined on to Europe. There were mass introductions, (especially in the 50s and 60s) into other waters in the UK, and I remember that there was a lot of opposition to it at the time.

It's not often Neil and I agree so wholeheartedly but IMO barbel should not have been introduced into still waters, but then again I don't think that 90% of the mongrel crap that commercials stock with should be there either <_< .

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I cant find another thread to stick this on, so I m sticking it here :rolleyes:

I visited Makins last week, just to have a look. I was surprised to see that the EA have control of it now, SO I'm thinking " no bad thing"

I think it was Phase Three I was on the FIRST thing that struck me was that each and every pool in the complex was long and thin with an island in the middle, making each swim just like the ones on the canal, less than 2 miles away.

IF The EA were smart, they could have saved all the hassle of digging new pools and stocked the local canal system? Or am I being a bit altruistic here? Surely to get Anglers back on the canal system would be better for the environment and the local "micro economy" than digging new puddles for fishermen to sit on?

And just for clarification, I don't think Chub and Barbel should be in there either B)

It's not often Neil and I agree so wholeheartedly but IMO barbel should not have been introduced into still waters, but then again I don't think that 90% of the mongrel crap that commercials stock with should be there either <_< .

John.

It's obviously a personal preference if people want to fish for the mongrel crap as you put it John, but an analogy I like to use is that fishing a commercial compared to a river or natural venue that has been around for 100's if years is like eating McDonald's compared to going out for a meal in a nice restaurant - sure they both do they same thing but which one leaves you most fulfilled?

The McDonald's might fill you up and taste nice initially (if you haven't got many tastebuds!!) but in the end it leaves you feeling empty, whereas the restaurant serve smaller portions, but you know that the ingredients are fresh and that you'll enjoy every mouthful!

James

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"

It's obviously a personal preference if people want to fish for the mongrel crap as you put it John, but an analogy I like to use is that fishing a commercial compared to a river or natural venue that has been around for 100's if years is like eating McDonald's compared to going out for a meal in a nice restaurant - sure they both do they same thing but which one leaves you most fulfilled?

The McDonald's might fill you up and taste nice initially (if you haven't got many tastebuds!!) but in the end it leaves you feeling empty, whereas the restaurant serve smaller portions, but you know that the ingredients are fresh and that you'll enjoy every mouthful!

James

Your analogy would be relevant if the food at McDonald's spilled out into the "nice restaurant" and contaminated the food there. This is what's happening in angling, to the detriment of many endemic species and they're habitats.

Would you like it if you ordered your "nice" meal and someone dumped a greasy 1/4 pound cheese burger on it? :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I would trust Mcdonalds food more than most small restaurants any day! Have you ever wondered what happens to your leftovers in an Indian ?

As for the barbel question, the initial post says it all. Can't be asked to go to the effort of fishing a river, wants to catch a barble..........spelt BARBEL, not barble (ignorance), so opts for a small still water.

I have said before, I have no problem with stocking them in a large clean gravel pit (better water quality than most rivers).

Never seen Makins, but it don't sound to bright to me, but obviously fills a need for lots of todays anglers.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

The canal is still there and I'm sure has fish in. People fish Makins and other such places because they're easy. It would be a travesty to stock a canal or other 'naturalised' waterway to anything like the level of a commercial.

I wasn't going to reply to this topic because I think the original question was asked in good faith and I don't want to be rude - but I echo everyone who has advised a trip to a river. It's situations like this that expose the terrible ironies of 'modern fishing' - we get all kitted out with unhooking mats, safe rigs, anti-bacterial gel, et al, and then go and fish somewhere that's grossly overstocked with some species that should not be there at all, and where the fish need bait to live and are fished for 24/7, 365 days a year.

Guardians of the countryside? Really?

To anyone who says, it's their choice, let people do what they like, if you don't like it don't fish there - you're missing the point, either willfully or otherwise. It's a question of animal welfare and respect for nature. And to anyone who says, if you care about fish so much why do you stick hooks in their mouths - you're missing the point too. Angling, in the proper sense - human vs wild fish - is a noble art and you know as well as I do that fish come to no harm whatsoever when they're caught and released properly.

Barbel should not be in stillwaters and to think otherwise is just selfishness.

Whoops, ranted again on my favourite subject... ;)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music