Ground Bait for Tench?????

Guest Pinkeye

Guest Pinkeye

This is for all the tench fishers out there...

I have stumbled across a 10 acre pit that I fished for the first time last Sunday, I used maggot with standard brown groundbait and managed to catch three tench 3lb 8oz, 4lb 10oz and 5lb 10oz (PB).

So impressed am I with this lake (these are specimen fish for the North East England)that I want to have an all out go and see what the potential really is in there. Does anyone have a ground bait receipe that has worked well for tench that I could use to try and really get these fish going?

Don't suggest things like blood etc as I couldn't stomach it, I don't mind using things like fish meal though.

Do tench prefer a savoury taste to a sweet one?

Guest Elton

Pinkeye,

Do you have the opportunity to prebait? If so, try some sweetcorn and hemp over a few days/weeks.

Seems to have worked for Steve Burke!!

Tight lines,

Elton

------------------

Anglers' Net

Keeping It Virtual...

Guest Big Brother

Hi Pinkeye,

You couldnt go far wrong with some Sillybait Red - its got a special ingredient that tench and bream love - Ive caught some craking tench fishing red maggot and sweetcorn cocktail over sillybait red. Its always worth a try!

Cheers

Big B

------------------

The float - pleasing in appearance, even more so in disapperance!!!

http://www.sillybait.co.uk - home of all things silly!!

Guest big tinca

Pinkeye,

The best method ive used for Tench is a fishmeal based groundbait stashed full of hemp and casters.

The fishmeal attracts the fish immediatley , then when they get to your bed of feed the hemp and casters hold the fish for you too pick off one by one.

This mix is'nt only good for Tench it attracts a all manner of different species.

Ps were is the lake you fish?

------------------

Happy Tenching.

Big Tinca.

bigtinca@hotmail.com

Guest tenchman

I guess I'm really luck as we have a tench lake on the grounds where I work and I'm the only person that fishes it. Last Sunday I came here for five hours and caught 70lb of tench to almost six pounds. I was fishing meat and corn over red strawberry groundbait.

My biggest tench so far from this lake is just short of seven pound caught last summer.

This too is a lake in the North East not far from Hull.

I think I might pay another visit this weekend.

Jason

Guest Darth_codhead

I find that in the N.E the Tench are a lot bigger than in the N.W

You could try what i did at scarborough Mere it was:-

1/2lb brown crumb

1 tin of sweetcorn

1/2Pt maggots

Every night just after dark for 3 nights

I took over 70lb of Tench, Bream and Carp over night from a place that you would only catch 20lb on a good night ( no carp, And No Bream)

you could try :-

Hemp

Trout pellets 2mm size

Meat

Wheat

Bread

All are good ground bait

PS if you do pre bait a swim fins out if there is a good head of tench

pps i find that late july to sept is the best time to night fish

------------------

Sheffield online sea fishing club

http://www.geocities.com/darth_codhead/index.html

Darth

Guest paul mc

hi Pinkeye

When i use grounbait for tench i use brown crumb, whizzo stench, fishmeal and dried blood(or bloed meal from van den eyde)topped of with loads of casters and red pinkies.

Be carefull tho because the dried blood seems to attract small perch from all over the lake.

Regards Paul Mc

Guest pikemaster39

trout pellet paste, stiffened with wetabix and flavoured with vanilla always used to drive the tench bonkers in my local tench waters another good bait for em is that old favourite tutti frutti.

hope it helps

------------------

Andi

http://www.sussex-pac.co.uk

Guest doc_tench

Hi pinkeye

Sounds like you did very well first time round and my way of thinking is dont change it if it works!

Stay a bit longer and possibly put a slim layer of hemp down, but then keep feeding regular and you then have a good chance of the Bream moving in, and there could be some right "whackers" in there!

Good luck biggrin.gif:

Guest Rob Ward

Dunno about that North East Tench being bigger theory, the pit I fish for Tench in the Northwest has produced doubles in the past.