Would you transport livebaits?

markward

... I am really quite pleased that where I currently fish does not allow livebaiting because it is really quite indefensible when used to catch fish purely for sport.

Interesting Den. But as stated, it seems you think it 'indefensible' under any and all circumstances and in all locations across the world.

If so, why? Many species are bred and raised specifically as live bait and mostly for sporting use. Lakes in my area have an overabundance of small fish that do make good bait and whose absence would improve the fishery.

Unless you are taking a position that killing is wrong in all circumstances (and I've never known you to tred that particular slippery slope) then I'm not sure I take your meaning.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newt, what I said was that I think it is indefensible when fishing for SPORT (sorry about caps)

Note that I said "I" think this.

I would not wish to ban it for others but to be honest it does bother my conscience to tether a living creature in order for it to be attacked by another PURELY FOR MY OWN PLEASURE. Therfore I am glad the decision to stop has been made by some of the places I fish.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

poledark:

Newt, what I said was that I think it is indefensible when fishing for SPORT (sorry about caps)

Note that I said "I" think this.

I would not wish to ban it for others but to be honest it does bother my conscience to tether a living creature in order for it to be attacked by another PURELY FOR MY OWN PLEASURE. Therfore I am glad the decision to stop has been made by some of the places I fish.

Den

To be truthful Den, you speak for me, and many other anglers.

However, and here I'm being pedantic, presumably you (and I) don't class a maggot as a living creature? Nor would you worry about living corn being killed to provide bread paste? No, you needn't answer that, we both know the answer!!

In saying that I will stand behind the right of those who wish to livebait within the law and applicable club rules.

[ 26. November 2003, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

However, and here I'm being pedantic, presumably you (and I) don't class a maggot as a living creature? Nor would you worry about living corn being killed to provide bread paste? No, you needn't answer that, we both know the answer!!

Peter - that's exactly why I mentioned 'slippery slope' since as you noted, it is a continuum and any place you draw a line saying, "these are acceptable while those are not" is completely artificial and simply a reflection of your personal feelings. Not something I'd like to see imposed as 'the rule'.

I think most would agree that using a person as bait would be a bad thing just as we'd agree that using a person as food shouldn't be done except in a dire emergency.

(Although I have to admit there are a few people I'd love to see used as shark bait.)

I also imagine the same people would agree that using a vegetable as food or bait is fine.

Beyond that point though, it gets a little fuzzy unless you are a strict vegetarian or a staunch PETA member.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

How far ones goes down that slippery slope Newt, can only be a personal decision. There is no answer!

PETA supporters always worry me. A very contradictory state of affairs. We all have a consequence on the environment. Many PETA supporters earn a living from the entertainment world. The cost to our environment of that industry is immense. The waste is mind boggling.

Until the other day I have never encountered a PETA supporter in the flesh. One, and in fairness he was a pleasant enough fellow, made his opinion clear re angling to me the other day. He was dressed in a hooded sweat shirt with a very large logo on the front, as well as his PETA badge. The logo read PENN, American Sports. I was more than a little amused as I showed him my PENN Extreme fixed spool. Even he had the grace to laugh!