Guess the Weight

Rob Ward

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice fish Rob, I love dace. I'll take a punt at 10oz...

That would be my sort of guess too - quite long would be bigger in the Feb if it was a female - and in its pigeon chested spawning condition. Did you measure it? An 11inch dace is roughly 11oz with 'pounders' over a foot long - a really good dace should measure from your wrest to your elbow!!!! :D

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I guessed 10oz because that's my PB, and I have a photo of it in my hand just like Rob's - and from memory it looks pretty much identical to that!

I'd love to catch a dace that's getting on for a pound, it must look massive.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

That would be my sort of guess too - quite long would be bigger in the Feb if it was a female - and in its pigeon chested spawning condition. Did you measure it? An 11inch dace is roughly 11oz with 'pounders' over a foot long - a really good dace should measure from your wrest to your elbow!!!! :D

C.

I didn't measure it but after a quick reconstruction with my hand and a tape measure I reckon it was around 8 inches - I have Girly hands! :D

Edited by Rob Ward

I guessed 10oz because that's my PB, and I have a photo of it in my hand just like Rob's - and from memory it looks pretty much identical to that!

I'd love to catch a dace that's getting on for a pound, it must look massive.

My 2 biggest ever dace of 1lb2oz & 1lb1½oz (caught the same day!) measured 29cm & 31cm from nose to fork of tail - though the heavier fish was the shorter one - twas a very deep female - both fish caught in early Feb....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

The guess the weight game is always a winner.

I'm going to go for 8.5oz's helped mainly by the size admission.

I once had a very large Dace when just about a teenager from the River Yare way downstream at Cantley from 15 foot of swirling, brown, fast tidal river. I shall always wonder what it would of weighed, it must of been pushing the pound at the least. Used to get quite a number of dace from that stretch of river in what looked the most non-stereotypical Dace conditions.

The guess the weight game is always a winner.

I'm going to go for 8.5oz's helped mainly by the size admission.

I once had a very large Dace when just about a teenager from the River Yare way downstream at Cantley from 15 foot of swirling, brown, fast tidal river. I shall always wonder what it would of weighed, it must of been pushing the pound at the least. Used to get quite a number of dace from that stretch of river in what looked the most non-stereotypical Dace conditions.

I've caught most of my largest dace in the tidal stretches also.