First time pike fishing

davedave

Evening all,

For the first time I am going pike fishing over the weekend with a mate and his dad on a lake about half an hour away. We're going to be spinning and they'll have all the proper pike gear (forceps, gloves etc) and i'll only take a little spinning rod, reel, few traces and lures that I have and a few bits and bobs. I'm in safe hands so to speak as they know what their doing. I gather it'll be a lot of walking so i shouldn't get too cold, hopefully :rolleyes:

But, is there any tips you can give me for first time pike fishing- eg playing a pike, where to find them, best type of spinners, tackle etc?

Appreciated as always,

Dave D

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Nothing? :mellow:

Don't know where you are going but I would take along some unweighted soft plastic worms and grubs, and fish really slow.

DD, there have been a number of 'first time' postings recently. That said, yours, perhaps more than the others, suggests that you are going about it the right way.

Edited by Peter Waller

Peter - I don't have any but will ask my mate if he has, I expect he does, he's always buying lures! Thanks, i've often thought about going on my own but for many reasons (one being I didn't think i'd actually catch anything!!) never did so it's nice to finally get out there. It's a welcome change from my usual winter fishing sat on a chair behind a leger :rolleyes:

Lozza - It's a lake or though I don't know any more than that regarding features or depths etc. Thanks will try the clockwork method. Is spinning for pike similar to spinning for perch in theory?

Thanks guys very useful :)

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

As its a lake and I presume that you limited to the bank then I would cast along the bank rather than just out from the bank. As for being like perch lure fishing, no not really, you'll need a trace for one thing! Secondly look out for and fish to features as well as just searching open water.

I would also spool up with braid, 30lb would be a good choice. You really do need to cast into areas where you are quite likely to snag. You don't need 30lb line to land the fish, but you do need it for pulling lures away from snags, unless you are super rich and don't mind loosing them.

Edited by Peter Waller

Peter,

I've a question.

Pike, Northern Pike, fishing requires a technique whereby the angler must or can delay the striking. (I'm not very good at it btw). Pike won't leave as quickly as other species but continue to attack. N.Pike anglers give the fish a "chance" to be caught.

Is that true in the UK? What is the "setting the hook" technique that gives the angler the best chance to catch the fish?

Phone

Peter,

I've a question.

Pike, Northern Pike, fishing requires a technique whereby the angler must or can delay the striking. (I'm not very good at it btw). Pike won't leave as quickly as other species but continue to attack. N.Pike anglers give the fish a "chance" to be caught.

Is that true in the UK? What is the "setting the hook" technique that gives the angler the best chance to catch the fish?

Phone

Phone, when lure fishing for pike the fish generally sets the hook itself against the tight line. When dead-baiting there is a traditional delay, very often until the fish moves off. Personally, as I don't tend to use massif baits, I strike when I get a positive indication of a bite. By striking I really mean winding down until I feel the fish and then and allowing the fish to pull against a tight line. When using deads I do use circle hooks and a traditional strike might pull the hook out whilst simply tightening up lets the fish do the work for me.

Dave it sounds like your mats have some experience of pike already so you'll probably learn more from them in a couple of hours than you will asking on here. I'm only assuming they're experienced mind you. If you still need to ask questions, then come back and ask away.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...