Hemp cooking right/wrong way!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Last week I bought a 15kg sack of raw hemp for 11.50 (77pence per kilo, frenzied hemp = around 3.71 quid a kilo!) as I thought that was very cheap and think hemp is a very underated bait.

In the past I have cooked hemp in a thermos flask.

1/4 fill flask with washed hemp (any more and you risk breaking the flask as the hemp WILL expand)and fill up flask with boiling water. Screw lid on but not to tightly.

Leave overnight and it will be cooked (but not black) in the morning (8-12hours).

This time I decided to cook the stuff in bulk on an old camping stove in the garage (it stinks when cooking).

I looked up some old threads on this site and scanned loads of angling books at home to find out the correct way.

Here it is :

Wash the raw hemp under a fast flowing cold tap to remove dust and dirt (helps stop scum forming when cooking).

Soak the hemp for AT LEAST 12hours in cold water.

You can put flavourings in the water as the hemp is soaking the water up.

I soak 2 pints of hemp in 4 pints of cold water and add 2 heaped teaspoons of BICARBONATE OF SODA (not sodium bicarbonate) which quickens the cooking time and makes the hemp go black while cooking. I also add a big lump of raw cane molases sugar which turns the water brown and gets rid of some of the acid taste.

I have also been adding a vial of ultra bite (just to get rid of the stuff) which contains amino acids.

After 12 hours or more you can either drain the hemp and rewash under a cold flowing tap or cook the hemp in the water it soaked in.

If using fresh water add another two spoons of bicarb.

Make sure there is enough water in the pan to cook the hemp.

Bring to the boil and simmer until the hemp starts to split. While simmering skim the horrible foam off the top of the water.

Keep a kettle of boiling water close by incase you need to add more water or you may boil the pan dry! If there is not enough water the hemp will not cook.

Once the hemp starts to split you have two options.

1. If you are using for loose feed and hook bait take off the boil and tip hemp into a sieve.

Either place sieve in a pan of cold water or under a running tap to stop the cooking process.

2. If only using as loose feed/groudbait take off the boil and put a lid on the pan and leave to cool. The rest of the hemp should keep cooking and when cooled all of it should of split.

Drain the hemp and either rinse under cold water and bag and freeze /use or just use/bag up and freeze without washing.

You can add some flavourings before freezing.

Add 2 heaped teaspoons of BICARBONATE OF SODA (not sodium bicarbonate).

Sodium bicarbonate is a completly different substance used in anti heartburn / wind remedies and yes I have made the mistake of adding to hemp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ 16. March 2004, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: RUDD ]

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Hi Rudd,

Interesting stuff, though I think like most things in angling, many will swear by their own method! Personally I would not dream of washing, rinsing, or sieving the hemp before, during, or after the cooking process. When boiling anything, a great deal of the content of the boiled item ends up in the water, so I just leave it as is - water and all.

When you catapult the hemp into the water along with the water it was cooked in, you get an amazing ‘slick’ and the hemp filled water you are tipping in will carry the food signal much quicker in the water I reckon.

I’ve tried many additives with hemp, but have found that in most cases it works best on its own. All I add is a little Sea Salt and some Thaumatin-B, which is deadly in small quantities.

All IMHO, of course. :)

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

I dont bother with the rinsing or washing parts.

I also have frozen the water the hemp was soaked and cooked in for use in groundbait!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone has their own method thats why I have given more than one option but the MAIN thing to remember is the SOAKING FOR 12 HOURS OR MORE PART!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I learnt a few lessons over the weekend while cooking the hemp. The main one is not trying to cook to much at once!!!!!!!

Keep an eye on the water level!!!!!

What the hell is Thaumatin-B ?????????????

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

quote:

In the past I have cooked hemp in a thermos flask.

A coolbox is just a giant flask!

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

Thaumatin-B is a natural protein sweetener – I add it to boiled hemp and any particle mixes I make. I also use it as a dip for natural hookbaits like Brazil nuts, corn and maize. It’s *extremely* powerful stuff so you don’t need to use much at all.

I use it for carp and it’s been *very* effective when used in particle mixes – the bigger bream and tench have also shown a liking for it when I dip natural hookbaits.

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

I cook hemp in a bucket with a sealable lid. quick and easy with no mess or smells!

fill the bucket about 1/3 with seeds, cover the seeds with boiling water, you need at least 2 inches of water over the level of the seeds, and then seal the lid and leave overnight.

Next morning you'll have a bucket of perfectly cooked hemp ready to go straight to the bank.

Take it to the bank and use it direct from the bucket it was cooked in for best results - it stays soaking in all the oils released while cooking.

Mat

• Like 1

Mat

I'm with Julian on the---boil the whole lot without washing it bit.I usually add some sugar(a personal thing passed down to me from me old dad)but thats all.

I love the smell of cooking hemp :) So does my family Cough Cough :D

Chuby

MMM sounds good enough to eat myself. :)

I have used the bicarbonate of soda method [baking powder] although it was a lovely colour I didn't think it went down to well with the fish, so ceased it's use. It could have been just me stuck in my ways.

I used a lot of hemp last year and found an electric slow cooker the most convenient for me.

I left it in a shed and left it more or less permanently on.

They consume so little power and don't need any looking after.

Just make sure it doesn't run dry. I left hemp in for two days sometimes and it was fine or on other occasions i used it after allnight cook.

yours

john

i use sugar too added to mine whilst boiling. but i heard an interesting tip on keith arhurs radio show the other week to add chillis to the hemp, i plan to give this a try as in the summer i use hemp in vast quantities, about 75 to 100kg a summer.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk