trotting - holding back

The Flying Tench

Articles on 'stick float' fishing usually say 3 things: you can fish up to about 3 rod lengths out; it's good to hold back so the float doesn't tow the bait along faster than the current near the bottom; you must beware of pulling the bait off course, as the fish will see that it's an unnatural movement.

But in my experience, at least in fastish water, even if you are only 2 rod lengths out it's impossible to hold back without pulling the float off course. Do others agree?

I realise there's probably no total answer, but I'd be interested to hear what others do faced with this difficulty.

john clarke

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use a float that takes plenty of shot! The heavier the float, the more control you have, and the more you can hold back without dragging it off course.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

holding back really comes into its own one rod length out ,anything beyond that is a compromise .a back shot sometimes helps as does keeping all the line off the water .theres a advantage to using longer rods when holding back .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

If you need more distance invest in a pair of decent breathable chest waders and get in....carefully! Other aids that can make life a little easier are fluted floats which tend to hold a line better and floats with a pronounced shoulder

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

After around 1 1/2 rod lengths its far simpler to use a waggler.Set up properly (shotting pattern) a wagler doesn't need to be held back to ensure the bait is moving at the same speed as the current on the bottom.

I use a back shot when fishing top and bottom floats in a strong down stream wind but have never found it to help that much in keeping a float on line at distance. Same with fluted/vanned floats,

We had a bit of a run on them a while ago on here and I made up and renovated a few to try. I also wanted to try this business of if they would hold the float on line better (I had allways been lead to believe the idea behind them was to "grip" the current better in slow/changeable flows) We debated all this and when I got round to giving them a worthwhile try I didn't find them to do anything other than I had allways thought! However I may not have been using them right I suppose but until shown different I will up hold my original views!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

All,

I have no business in this thread - - - but I'll ask anyway.

What role does line play in your equation? I has to play some part?

Phone

Yes and No Phone! Obviously when trotting its best to have a line that floats (well when trotting with a top and bottom attached float at least) This gives you direct contact to the float. One of the reasons I now prefer braid.However no matter how you look at it if you are trying to "hold back" on a float its going to swing in towards the same line as the rod tip.Nothing you will do will change this and the stronger the current/more you have to hold back the more pronounced this will be.

BUDGIE,

A problem I've not sloved freelining for carp either. The closest I've come is to simply "lure" fish my bait. I'd think "holding back" is - by definition - holding back. Fast water (relatively) requires a LOT of angler participation.

Phone

What role does line play in your equation? I has to play some part?

It can play a vital part if the wind is in the right direction Phone. If it's at your back from a downstream direction you can hold the rod up keeping the line off the water, under those circumstances it's very easy to hold back a float two or three rod lengths out, the breeze on the line stops it from swinging back in. If conditions are right you can trot downstream with the float gradually drifting towards the far bank.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

It can play a vital part if the wind is in the right direction Phone. If it's at your back from a downstream direction you can hold the rod up keeping the line off the water, under those circumstances it's very easy to hold back a float two or three rod lengths out, the breeze on the line stops it from swinging back in. If conditions are right you can trot downstream with the float gradually drifting towards the far bank.

Rusty makes a good point about the winds affect on the main line.