Thanksgiving Day coming up!

Phone

All,

In an exchange of culture I thought you would like to know - - - -

Britain was responsible for the transportation of 3.5 million African slaves to the Americas. On the third Thursday of November 1833 - in the 1833 Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom it abolished slavery throughout the British Empire (at least in the Americas).

We celebrate this emancipation as Thanksgiving Day.

We eat turkey, an awkward bird as a symbol of how not cool the British are with current fishing culture, equipment and slang or just that, while really nice guys, how generally uncool they are.

At least that’s what my great grandpa told me.

In any event, many will not work tomorrow, Wed. and hardly anyone will work this Thursday, Thanksgiving Day. It is a feast and family gathering to behold in many homes

Happy Thanksgiving Newt.

Phone

(Newt told me to remind you)

Phone

Edited by Phone

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL - you old rabble rouser you.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

That's weired. I thought it had to do with a bunch of pilgrims who crossed the Atlantic in the year 1620. Said pilgrims supposedly reached Plymouth rock on December 11th 1620, after a sea journey of 66 days. and managed to survive the winter.

The summer of 1621, was poor for crops owing to severe drought, the pilgrims called for a day of fasting and prayer to please God and ask for a bountiful harvest in the coming season. God answered their prayers and it rained at the end of the day which saved the corn crops and allowed them to survive.

It's also claimed that the Indians taught the pilgrims to grow corn, beans and pumpkins, which helped all of them survive . In the autumn of 1621, the pilgrims were said to have held a grand celebration where 90 people were invited including Indians. The grand feast was organized to thank god for his favors. This communal dinner is popularly known as The first thanksgiving feast. There is however, no evidence to prove if the dinner actually took place.

In thanks for the valuable lesson in survival and a place to escape the religious persecution that they had suffered in Europe, the pilgrims and their descendants subsequently thanked their rather unwilling hosts by persecuting them on a genocidal scale.

That's the rather cynical version of the tale as I understood it and I don't recall any link to the emancipation of slaves by the British (which the then independent states of what is now the USA ignored anyway) having anything to do with thanksgiving.

Are you on a wind up Mr Phone ?

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

The civilised :rolleyes: Britons used to have Goose, or Swan for Xmas lunch until the American colonies sent in the turkey. How uncouth. :rolleyes:

Edited by Andrew

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

The civilised Britons used to have Goose, or Swan for Xmas lunch until the American colonies sent in the turkey. How uncouth.

Ah but what would they have eaten with it prior to "The Colombian Exchange" ?

I'll take a modern diet any day of the week.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Home grown greens of course,cabbage, cauli etc, (bet thats introduced food also LoL ) never mind all that foreign muck classed as food. :whistling:

Maybe they had that great British classic dish, Tikka Chicken Massala :clap2:

Edited by Andrew

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

At last, a proper NFC thread. From the pilgrim fathers to chicken Tikka Masala in 7 posts.

I'm impressed.

At last, a proper NFC thread.

I thought i saw KFC there for a moment :o

“Vescere bracis meis”

QUOTE (Ken L @ Nov 23 2011, 08:48 AM)

At last, a proper NFC thread.

I thought i saw KFC there for a moment

Nah. Along with McD's, that's an American food import that we'd be better off without.