ANGLING UNITY, IS IT POSSIBLE ?

Guest STEVE POPE

Guest Ian Cresswell
Originally posted by Jase:

To tell you the truth I haven't even got a clue what SACG stands for...

Clue: Menu item to the left (9th from the bottom ... entitled SACG)

Ian.

Cheers Ian, I haven't got that far down yet, still discovering. I'm off for a read.

It's very useful, but mainly common sense, I find it quite difficult to believe that anglers need reminding of a lot of what is contained on the pages there. I must admit to not carrying a towel and a trenching device. My fiver will be on it's way tommorrow, maybe this will be distributed with rod licences for new anglers, I think it would be a good idea. Very interesting reading, thanks

[This message has been edited by Jase (edited 07 August 2000).]

Guest pikehunter
Originally posted by Ian Cresswell:

The forums on this site do a lot to promote the positive aspects of angling.

If the anglers on this site need to be taught any positive aspects of angling then i think your on a loser before you start it's the anglers who arn't here you should be talking to.

The only step's needed toward unity as far as i can see is for ALL anglers to respect and accept each others methods, and stop nitpicking each other BUT that's human nature i supose.

Guest Ian Cresswell
Originally posted by pikehunter:

The only step's needed toward unity as far as i can see is for ALL anglers to respect and accept each others methods, and stop nitpicking each other BUT that's human nature i supose.

Given the opportunity to try a new type/style of fishing I always jump at the chance. Doesn't everybody else smile.gif?

Ian.

Guest Stuart M

Steve, Is the cost of joining the SACG one of the problems?

Also have the society considered the views / wishes of it's members buy somekind of vote on the SACG issue. Surely the opinions of the members of the Barbel Society members should count for something.

Guest STEVE POPE

Hi Stu,

Depends what you mean by cost?

If you are a member of the Barbel Society you will get the full chapter and verse in Barbel Fisher 10.

The magazine is almost complete, I've spent two or three hours almost every night for the past week editing and basically putting it together.

I would say that each time I've written about the SACG in our mag. the silence has been deafening.

Not one letter in response.

However, since the SACG took this issue to their member clubs, one letter from a Society member has been received.

I can assure you the opinions of every single member of the Society are sought and valued, after all without a membership any organisation ceases to exist.

The committee prides itself on being in touch and accessible to every member.

When opinions are given, they are taken on board, and if need be given a full airing in our magazine.

Are you the Stuart M.who is a founder member of the Society ?

Steve.

Guest martin allen

Ok, so everyone wants to protect their own little corner and I can understand that. Everyone fishes in their own style and from these experiences we formulate our opinions on our own little world and being the self righteous creatures we have become through the ages, we form an opinion on other walks of life. In my case, a barbel angler. I have my views on the carp boys, pike lads and roach chappies and hopefully they have their views on my world. Right or wrong , I have my views and so do you, but I for one believe very strongly that angling unity is possible. The discussions so far on this subject lead me to beleive that if we can put away the 'what's in it for me' attitude and look at the bigger picture then the goal of angling unity can be acheived. Look further than you own lake or stretch of river, and most importantly ask yourself 'do YOU really want angling unity?'. If the answer is yes then it's up to you and your fellow anglers to make the change, because one thing is becoming increasingly clear, no one will do it for you. Stand up & be counted other wise it will be off to the golf course for all of us, and thats a scary alternative. I'm off my soap box now and available for weddings, christenings and bar mitvahs!

[This message has been edited by martin allen (edited 07 August 2000).]

Guest Graham E

I guess the truth is that we all like to have fun at others expense. In many respects this is an enjoyable part of being a fisherman.

The match boys with their 9-5 mentality and tiddler bashing on 30ft wavy sticks.

The pikers, frozen to the spot, with flat cap and dripping nose.

The Carpers with multi rods and electric cubicles.

The flyboys trying to catch on fluff, when those stupid fish just love a worm.

But this is part of this fishing life that makes it so interesting. No one starts fishing for one species and then stops, they generally try all aspects to find one or more that fit their needs/time and ambitions.

We are all fisherfolk, and a gentle dig at different aspects sustains us.

Today I love barbel, even after 30 years an angler, I have no doubt that in the future I will try to learn more about another fish species. But through this process, real anglers, that have carried out their apprenticeship will always appreciate the skills of others. Light hearted fun adds to the pleasure and the interchanges.

We are a brotherhood. ( 'cept carpers of course!) Joke!!

Guest martin allen
Originally posted by Graham E:

I guess the truth is that we all like to have fun at others expense. In many respects this is an enjoyable part of being a fisherman.

The match boys with their 9-5 mentality and tiddler bashing on 30ft wavy sticks.

The pikers, frozen to the spot, with flat cap and dripping nose.

The Carpers with multi rods and electric cubicles.

The flyboys trying to catch on fluff, when those stupid fish just love a worm.

But this is part of this fishing life that makes it so interesting. No one starts fishing for one species and then stops, they generally try all aspects to find one or more that fit their needs/time and ambitions.

We are all fisherfolk, and a gentle dig at different aspects sustains us.

Today I love barbel, even after 30 years an angler, I have no doubt that in the future I will try to learn more about another fish species. But through this process, real anglers, that have carried out their apprenticeship will always appreciate the skills of others. Light hearted fun adds to the pleasure and the interchanges.

We are a brotherhood. ( 'cept carpers of course!) Joke!!

biggrin.gif You forget to mention the barbel angler, his old centre pin and fishing with magnetic feeder!