ANGLING UNITY, IS IT POSSIBLE ?

Guest STEVE POPE

Guest martin@tryangling
Originally posted by Alan Pearce:

... finally any recipes for roast barbel.

(sorry Steve,joke).

Best fishes, Alan Pearce

E-mail alan@paauk.com

The following is verbatim from a book called "Simply Fish" by Jenny Baker (Magna Books) :

Baked Barbel

To lose its muddy flavour, ideally the fish should be allowed to swim around in fresh water for at least half an hour - in the bath perhaps? Otherwise trim, scale and clean and, if it is a female, make sure you remove the roe (which is poisonous), though the soft roe of the male can be put back inside.

Rub the fish inside and out with mixture of salt and vinegar, allow 1 tsp to every 450g of fish then soak for 30 minutes in assidulated water (2 tbsp vinegar, 1 tsp salt to every litre of water). Rinse and dry.

Heat oven to gas mark 4 (350F/180C). Lay the prepared fish in a well-buttered oven dish, score it on both sides 2 or 3 times. Season with salt, pepper, parsley, chopped shallots, mushrooms and bacon and/or anchovy fillets. Cover with fresh breadcrumbs, sprinkle over lemon juice and a glass of dry white wine. Bake for 30 mins, basting often.

I dare you to try it!

Martin Porter

PAA Coach and Barbel Society Member

Guest Graham E

Well in Germany they regularly eath carp and tench (carpf and saithe) and I have also tried them. There of course!

They allow them 2/3 days alive in fresh water and then simply season and breadcrumb them. Delicious. Of course Pike are a Xmas delicacy in many countries. Notice how many Polish people walk the bank at Christmas!

One of the delicacies in England though less than 100 years ago was gudgeon, and vast numbers were caught and eaten after a gentle saute. And after all Barbel are really only very big gudgeon. Nowdays you wouldn't have to add bacon farci, they probably have a distinctive bacon grill flavour.

No, I think I'll stick to roasted Perch, a known table fish. (Steve B Collapses!)

Guest Steve Burke

I'm not much of a fish eater and greatly prefer meat. I've had perch from the Baltic and it was delicious. The zander I had the next day was even tastier!

I'd add that I'm not against taking the odd smaller fish for the table. However I'm very much against the rule in some German states that insists that all fish caught must be killed. There the anti-angling brigade have persuaded the Government to bring in this law on the grounds that fishing for sport is cruel and should be banned.

Now we're part of the EU could this idea spread to the U.K.? The German anglers were complacent saying it could never happen but it did! It's threats like this that mean that angling unity is essential.

[This message has been edited by Steve Burke (edited 09 August 2000).]

Guest RobStubbs

Steve,

I couldn't agree more, it's things like this that could happen in the future and that's why unity is essential BEFORE anything like this happens, or any of the other threats to angling. To take the stance of 'we'll unify when the trouble starts' is tantamount to sticking your head in the sand.

Rob.

Guest robbie
Originally posted by Steve Burke:

My non-angling wife, Peggy, has read some of this thread and others here and is appalled at the constant slagging off of one type of coarse angler by another.  She reckons we're all a bunch of school children and that if this is typical it's no wonder there's no angling unity in the wider sense!

For goodness sake, isn't it time we stopped having a go at other branches of our sport.  Having recently tried a bit of session carp fishing and even entered the odd match at Wingham I can at least see others points of view.

So let's start by uniting ourselves on this Forum. The odd tongue in cheek comment is fine, but IMO what we've had so far isn't.

As a new visitor to this page it seems quite clear that unity within angling is just not possible. Why? just look at some of the messages and replies and you will see that some participants are on ego trips. Steve Burke, Steve Pope, & Ray Walton to mame but three. It seems that Ray Walton only has snide or crass remarks to make and nothing constructive? mad.gif If we want all aspects of angling to be as one we must put aside our differences. As you can see an umberela for all branches of angling sounds great but in practice wuold seem as far away as the moon. So Mister's Pope,Burke & Walton put away your clear ego problems and try to start angling on the road to unity. This is a hard task to undertake are you all up for it, are you all qualified for such a task can you all work together? burning questions that we all want answerd.

Robbie

Guest Ray Walton

Robbie... You are obviously correct but please, please, put your real name upon the screen to be counted and stop hiding behind a bush if you want to be taken seriously! You obviously don't have a sense of humour and a clue to what's going on!

------------------

Guest STEVE POPE

Ray,

I couldn't agree with you more. If the internet Forum is to work and progress,I would respectfully suggest that if anyone wishes to enter a "serious thread",then the very least they can do is use their own name and preferably be registered.

Otherwise it will never progress beyond the soap box in Hyde Park.

I know from speaking to others including well known anglers that I am not alone in having this point of view.

I would be interested to hear Elton's comments.

Best fishes,

Steve.

Guest Gaffer

Hi all, Robbie, as you have pointed out you are new to these pages, I think you should get to know Steve Burke, Steve Pope and Ray Walton before having a dig.

I certainly disagree with the fact that they are ego tripping, they're just giving their opinions.

All the best,

Gaffer.

Guest Elton
Originally posted by STEVE POPE:

Ray,

I couldn't agree with you more. If the internet Forum is to work and progress,I would respectfully suggest that if anyone wishes to enter a "serious thread",then the very least they can do is use their own name and preferably be registered.

Otherwise it will never progress beyond the soap box in Hyde Park.

I know from speaking to others including well known anglers that I am not alone in having this point of view.

I would be interested to hear Elton's comments.

Best fishes,

Steve.

Gulp! I've been skilfully avoiding this thread up until now, mainly because topics like this, in my opinion, should be left to flourish or fall of their own accord. 'Editorials' often have far more influnce than, perhaps, they should.

On the subject of registration, I have left it so that nobody has to register on this forum. The IP is logged and if there were any legal matters that needed to be resolved, the powers that be could soon trace them. However, this does give a certain amount of anonymity to those that want it on this forum. Whether this is good or bad depends on where you're standing, basically.

If 'robbie' is someone that you guys know, how would it change your opinions of what he's said? You won't know unless you know who he is, so that's a bit of a non-sensical question. He could be a 'name', or he could not - what we do have, though, are the words that he has left. All we can do is concentrate on those.

The subject of registering is one of choice. My advice, if pressed, would be that many people on the internet respect people more when they state clearly who they are. It can sometimes add weight to the argument. However, I know quite a few people by nicknames only - after a while they become like real.

As for robbie's comment;

Robbie, I don't know you, I don't know Steve Pope and I don't know Ray Walton. I also don't go much on 'names' and take people as I find them - there are good and bad everywhere. Steve Burke, however, I do know. many moons ago I was asking for some advice on a fishing group. I was pike fishing and got very interested in the perch that were following my lures in. This bloke I hadn't heard of answered every question I could fire at him with, practically, an essay on the subject. I thought he was a 'decent bloke' and have met him many times since. In fact, he now helps out on this site and I fish his waters in Kent. Now, you could call Steve many names (the members at Wingham often do biggrin.gif), but 'egomaniac' certainly wouldn't be one of them.

That's the 'joy' of the internet, though - it's so hard to tell what people are like and what they really mean without meeting them or hearing the tone of their voice on the phone. That's the main reason that I've always made it my business to meet people with whom I've chatted on the internet. As a result, I've got some top-notch friends and always know who to call when I have an angling problem!

Don't think that's answered much, but, hey, it got me out of work for ten minutes biggrin.gif

Tight lines,

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

Guest Bretty

I'm real sorry i'm not helping much, a tad ignorant i guess. Surely we are united in the fact we all have to buy a rod license. Does this not mean we are united and represented by the environmental agency who i guess without the money from anglers would not exist. Is that wrong? What do we want to achieve? is it just us against the antis? or do we need unity for another reason?

Sorry if i've asked questions that have already been answered, i've tryed to keep an ear in on this thread but then as my teachers at school would have told you. i never did pay enough attention!!

Bretty rolleyes.gif

(If there was a confused looking face with a furrowed brow i'd have used it here.)