Minutes of the last England and Wales Fisheries Group meeting

Anglers' Net

Andy,

You should get "extra funds" for the black, white-tailed C. gnou of central South Africa: is near extinction, the South African gnu is now and internationally protected. No doubt you will get permission for 'controlled hunts' while showing your magnanimous 'environmental colors'.

Phone

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I own some land in the Wensum valley. On this land I would like to introduce a herd of gnu. I appreciate that gnu are neither native to the Wensum valley, nor are they particularly well suited to this type of habitat. However, I am prepared to feed them regularly and create artificial breeding areas which are conducive to their reproductive instincts. The purpose of this enterprise is to enable me to charge large sums of money so that sportsmen can come and shoot the gnu, thereby creating an indispensible socio-economic benefit to the landowner, and to the sportsmen who enjoy gnu shooting. Unfortunately, in doing so I will be obliged to close down public access to this part of the valley so as not to interfere with the gnu's breeding habits. I would nevertheless, be grateful if the authorities would consent to these activities being carried out, and also to pay for it all under the guise of the Wensum Restoration Strategy."

ahha, that's not the teachings of one of the magnificent seven by any chance, surly not. B)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

ahha, that's not the teachings of one of the magnificent seven by any chance, surly not. B)

Absolutely not. It's a statement that was formally submitted to the Eastern Region EA Manager in a letter dated 20 January 2010, and I can prove it (reply outstanding).

It does bring to mind an interesting proverb though :

"never try and teach a pig to sing: it wastes your time, and it annoys the pig"

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

You should get "extra funds" for the black, white-tailed C. gnou of central South Africa: is near extinction

Believe it or not [phone friend], my statement was tongue in cheek. I'm not really in favour of translocating gnu into the Wensum valley. If the black white tailed C. gnu of the plains is in danger of extinction then I suggest you get out there and bag one before it's too late ....

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

missed the bit about discussion re the eel take ban, they didn't suggest re-looking at data to see if there was any improvement from the dodgy figures they initially relied on

Taken from the latest issue of 'Talk of the Thames', the magazine of the Thames Estuary Partnership ( www.thamesweb.com/ )

Article by the Zoological Society of London:

.....It has ben incredibly heartening to see how our call for volunteer 'citizen scientists' has been taken up.

Forty-eight volunteers at five new trap sites have received training on how to check the traps safely, how to collect the data and how to upload it to the ZSL website.

This has enormously increased our capacity to gather important data on the movement of this critically endangered species.

The disappointing news is that the number of volunteers has outnumbered the elvers recorded for this migration season to the tune of forty-eight to zero.......

!!!

Anyone with a real interest wanting to volunteer/get involved should email marineandfreshwater@zsl.org

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Ahh the elvers, the commercials have them all and they have been exported. :unsure: Thats a load of cods Leon, my personal opinion btw, if that was the case the powers to be would ban all fishing, angling and exporting of the same. And i would certainly agree to that as well, wouldn't you Leon? And so should the trust? Bet i can nip up the top of stangate creek, dig a few king rag and go and catch dozens of eels in the medway, just like i used to. :rolleyes:

Give us your opinion Leon with regards to the fishy reports the following spring following the ban, indicating loads of captures in the lower thames.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Thats a load of cods Leon, my personal opinion btw, if that was the case the powers to be would ban all fishing, angling and exporting of the same. And i would certainly agree to that as well, wouldn't you Leon? And so should the trust? Bet i can nip up the top of stangate creek, dig a few king rag and go and catch dozens of eels in the medway, just like i used to. :rolleyes:

If you know things are different Barry, instead of posting your ill-informed ramblings on here, why not get involved, help the researchers to find out where they are going wrong, and help them get it right?

I promise that you will have a lot of fun, learn a lot, and meet some really interesting people.

Just email marineandfreshwater@zsl.org

:)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Don't give me that Leon, have you forgotten reports of eel captures the following spring or have you blanked them out.

Don't give me they have all but dissappeared, if that was the case, there would be a total ban in any event, wouldn't they? For more than a decade they have been chewing the cud re the eel depletion, is this what it all comes down to, wait for them to completly dissappear and then perhaps do something about it. Come on.

If the elvers have all but dissapeared, why arn't the trust and the aquilla club asking for a complete ban on fishing and angling? Answer that one instead of suggesting ramblings.

Speaking to a well knowledged fresh water angler for more than an hour or so yesterday,please don't suggest he rambles as well when he tells me that there are many captures by the fresh water guys with deep hooked eels, cut the line i hear you say. Yup that has been done, also a few eels have also been sacked with the hooks still embedded, Guess what it takes a heck of a long time for the hooks to rust out. More ramblings Leon, total ban on angling for them? Sounds like a good idea, based on your posts.

Don't give me that Leon, have you forgotten reports of eel captures the following spring or have you blanked them out.

Don't give me they have all but dissappeared, if that was the case, there would be a total ban in any event, wouldn't they? For more than a decade they have been chewing the cud re the eel depletion, is this what it all comes down to, wait for them to completly dissappear and then perhaps do something about it. Come on.

If the elvers have all but dissapeared, why arn't the trust and the aquilla club asking for a complete ban on fishing and angling? Answer that one instead of suggesting ramblings.

Speaking to a well knowledged fresh water angler for more than an hour or so yesterday,please don't suggest he rambles as well when he tells me that there are many captures by the fresh water guys with deep hooked eels, cut the line i hear you say. Yup that has been done, also a few eels have also been sacked with the hooks still embedded, Guess what it takes a heck of a long time for the hooks to rust out. More ramblings Leon, total ban on angling for them? Sounds like a good idea, based on your posts.

Barry,

Do some research for heavens sake, and try to understand.

Eels can be up the rivers for 20 years or more.

What you are seeing is the adult form of elvers that arrived in previous decades.

(Also have a look at the new restrictions on commercial elver and eel catching and how the number taken aside for growing-on can actually increase the escapment of the resulting adults over letting nature take its course).

If you ever want to be taken seriously by anyone that can make a difference, you need to rely on more than misunderstood anecdeotes.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Important Information

We and our partners use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences, repeat visits and to show you personalised advertisements. By clicking “I Agree”, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. However, you may visit Cookie Settings to provide a controlled consent.