Minutes of the last England and Wales Fisheries Group meeting

Anglers' Net

Andy,

Well, that's where our eels come from (Sargasso Sea) and we don't have any (eels) either?

Since eels have such a limited life cycle you're right, the discussion may be like the salmon discussions. The problem isn't with "fishing" at all, or at least entirely with fishing. The Sargasso Sea itself it thought to be in peril. At least such is the case by some experts here in North America.

Phone

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are you phone? I'm guessing you're somewhere on the east coast of America, and we're really just on opposite sides of same troubled Sargasso pond. This is worthwhile, cos if UK and US eel reseach could be somehow connected then that would be a real, constructive development.

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Andy,

You are correct - North America (although I am 1200 mi from any salt water). It would only make to much sense to combine our efforts. (I'm being a smart arce). Actually I know very little of eels, maybe two things. I don't like to catch them, I don't like to eat them. They well may have the affect/effect of the canary in the coal mine however.

Phone

Come on phone, give us some links please. no, not the coal mines either :fishing1:

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

You are correct - North America (although I am 1200 mi from any salt water).

That's amazing. The UK is 400 miles wide at it's widest. I live 20 miles from salt water on the opposite side of the UK mainland to the Atlantic. Where precisely are you in America? If you don't want to divulge your precise location in public, then just pick your nearest city and catchment. That's close enough.

It would only make too much sense to combine our efforts. (I'm being a smart arce).

So am I, don't worry about it (UK spelling - ARSE. US spelling -ASS)

Actually I know very little of eels, maybe two things. I don't like to catch them, I don't like to eat them.

Hell, phone, I was brought up the same way. I was taught to routinely kill any eels which I caught on rod and line (for the uninformed, killing an adult eel is not easy)

They well may have the affect/effect of the canary in the coal mine however.

I hope not, the purpose of the canary in the coal mine was to die. Phone, I'm afraid you have unintentionally contravened English soccer rules here. The Canaries aim to stay alive in the English Premier League. See here : http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/Home

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

bet there's a phone reply very shortly. :thumbs:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Andy,

About 25 miles North of Kansas City, on the Missouri River in a little community called Weston. We had a disasterous fishing season this year on the river. Massive flooding all year. Such that it won't be "right" even next year. That's the bad side. The good side is that I've never seen larger, more healthy fish in my life. Feeding areas expanded by millions and millions of acres. Prey fish are hugely abundant.

Since this is mostly a UK site, I try to accomodate your wayword spelling habits (smart ass). It is discusting your wanton waste of the perfectly good letter "U".

Maybe disrespecting the Canaries was not the best analogy. (Soccer's that kids game akin to football - isn't it?)

barry,

A link to what? I don't know much about eels. We have a few (I guess they come up the Mississippi River from the Gulf of Mexico(?)). I believe the Great Lakes has a couple "landlocked" species? Our eels are either 'silver eels' or eels. I alway thought US/UK eels came from the Sargrasso Sea. The sea spins you some and us some. The major populations we get are mostly eastern seaboard creatures. A very important commodity for some commercial fishermen (they use traps). I think?

If you come to NA with an opportunity to fish the St. Lawrence River (huge wild carp in a huge and powerful river) you can catch eels with a rod and reel although not on purpose. Who would catch one on purpose?

Phone

Thought you had something for us phone, quote: The Sargasso Sea itself it thought to be in peril. At least such is the case by some experts here in North America.

No angler wants to catch eels Phone. Disgusting creatures. But then i don't think any right minded people would want to see them extinct either ... everything has a place, and I have to say that a spoonful of fried elvers on toast for breakfast, or properly smoked adult eels for supper, is a marvellous culinary experience.

As I'm sure you're aware, the Sargasso Sea lies to west of the Gulf of Mexico roughly half way between us. It's more than 2 miles deep, and nobody really knows what goes on down there. A cursery examination of the map would suggest that in order to try and get an angle on what's really happening down there then studies need to expand from the UK and the USA to the Atlantic boarder of France, Spain, Portugal, Africa, Canada and the Carribean.

Soccer on the other hand, is that beautiful game that is played by the whole world, with the sole exception of the USA ... your loss mate ...

Edited by andy_youngs

barry,

I'm afraid that was an extrapolation from my many East Coast carp fishing trips. It is, at best, bankside banter. As you will often find with some of my posts, I'm short on facts.

Andy,

Ohhh - - - that soccer. (Yes, I'm afraid your right - I lose.) But we're getting better by our standards. Just last year the Kansas City team, Sporting Kansas City beat Manchester United in a friendly here in Kansas City. I think MU played their 3rd stringers then realized they didn't want to lose - but it was to late.

As for eating elvers. The best way for me to lose 30 lbs is to come to the UK for a weeks fishing.

Phone

Important Information

We and our partners use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences, repeat visits and to show you personalised advertisements. By clicking “I Agree”, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. However, you may visit Cookie Settings to provide a controlled consent.