Minutes of the last England and Wales Fisheries Group meeting

Anglers' Net

I don't know much about eels (but then who does?). We used to get loads in the Broads, they were a real pest at one time. But they haven't been much in evidence in recent years.

However I am still intrigued by Barry's claim that the Govt are allowing commercial harvesting but restricting recreational harvesting ... if it's true then that does seem very hypocritical and something that should be scrutinised. Commercial fishing pressures have done far more damage to fish stocks over the years than recreational pressures ever did.

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy,

Having been put in my place (sort of) I've just followed reading this thread. Leon talks of "critically endangered species" (a legal term in the US that means "hands off"). Now you say, Barry said, "the Govt are allowing commercial harvesting but restricting recreational harvesting".

Did he say that? I mean did he even imply that in as English word choice English sort of way?

Phone

Barry,

Do some research for heavens sake, and try to understand.

Eels can be up the rivers for 20 years or more.

What you are seeing is the adult form of elvers that arrived in previous decades.

(Also have a look at the new restrictions on commercial elver and eel catching and how the number taken aside for growing-on can actually increase the escapment of the resulting adults over letting nature take its course).

If you ever want to be taken seriously by anyone that can make a difference, you need to rely on more than misunderstood anecdeotes.

Smoke and mirror Leon, it's you that are ducking the obvious. You have just put up your end game argument again. Close it. Why won't you agree to that statement. Are you talking about the exports, will they be sending them back then? The assumed recovery hinging on that one sticking plaster? What you have put up with your first link also confirms according to your expert counters that the situation is no better than 3 years ago, 98% depletion, or worse, So shut it all down, why not? Who has cocked up?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Barry,

If your last comment (post) is "meaningful" to the public it must be in code. Otherwise it looks like a PM to Leon was in order. What the'ell are the rest of us supposed to gain? Looks like your are just pimping each other? (I'm an expert).

The subject Andy introduced is quite interesting. Referrences have been most interesting. I like it.

Phone

Barry,

If your last comment (post) is "meaningful" to the public it must be in code. Otherwise it looks like a PM to Leon was in order. What the'ell are the rest of us supposed to gain? Looks like your are just pimping each other? (I'm an expert).

The subject Andy introduced is quite interesting. Referrences have been most interesting. I like it.

Phone

Off topic, i'm sooooooooooooo very sorry. :bleh:

No code, it is blatently obvious, the argument of 98% depletion was used against all anglers with regards to no take. Now It has been suggested that the situation is the same or even worse after three years. So if that is the case, it was either origionally not as bad as those who portrayed (bullshine to bring in the ban) or the eel fishery is about to collapse, can't have it both, so what is it to be? Must think we have either a short or no memory.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Barry said, "the Govt are allowing commercial harvesting but restricting recreational harvesting".

Did he say that? I mean did he even imply that in an English word choice sort of way?

Phone

Post #4. He said it, and I guess he still stands by it. He might even be right.

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Post #4. He said it, and I guess he still stands by it. He might even be right.

It wasn't the government who actually worked out, devised, agreed, the anglers eel take ban. And i guess those who did would rather choke on their cornflakes before putting their names to it. Although in the u k we have the luxury of freedoom of information, unfortunatly names are often blanked out. :mellow:

Edited by barry luxton

It wasn't the government who actually worked out, devised, agreed, the anglers eel take ban.

Yes it was. They might well have delegated the decision making to another authority, and they're probably now trying to distance themselves from it because it appears to be controversial. If I get this right, you feel aggreived because the authorities are preventing you from harvesting a tiny fraction of the elvers that are running up your local river on grounds that stocks have crashed in neighbouring catcments ... meanwhile, adult eels are routinely harvested by commercial fishermen in the North Sea, and the true source of the problem probably lies thousands of miles away in the Sargasso Sea. Is that correct?

This link has been posted before, but it's still informative :

Although in the uk we have the luxury of freedoom of information, unfortunatly names are often blanked out. :mellow:

That's not my experience of the way that the FOI Act is supposed to work. I suggest you ask the question again, and this time be more specific.

Hello Andy, your post is worthy of a reply, it's me being lazy why i havn't at the mo. Thanks for the info re foi i will be back. :)

Important Information

We and our partners use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences, repeat visits and to show you personalised advertisements. By clicking “I Agree”, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. However, you may visit Cookie Settings to provide a controlled consent.