Cholesterol

Sportsman

Importance of Cholesterol levels  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know your current cholesterol level?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not interested
  2. 2. Do you take steps to alter your cholesterol level?

• Eat a low saturated fat diet
    • Use cholesterol lowering products such as spreads and yoghurts
    • Take prescribed medications (statins)
    • Just eat what I like
  3. 3. Do you think that cholesterol level is important and affects your health?

• Yes, low is better
    • Yes, high is better
    • Don't think it matters

Sportsman,

I'll let you get back to the survey. In my case my only "sin" is genetics. My brother and I are the only males on my father's side that reached age 40 (8 individuals in 4 generations). My brother has had all sorts of heart and valve and "whatever" surgeries. Me, all things considered, healthy as a horse. I take ALL the dope the Dr. says. I agree, some doesn't do much (the blood thinners work - I bleed like a stuck pig). But I'm just not quite ready to 'set the hook' and dispose of them - - - - how can you (collectively) know? One of my strokes was without my stroke dope - one was while taking stroke dope (including statins). Probably a crap shoot. Although I am in no way a predestinationist. I believe my participaton makes a difference. Not sure "medical science" knows exactly how I should best participate either. I'll continue to live a "happy" life within social norms. On a strict diet I can get my Cholesterol down to 500ish. Eat what I want 600ish. What the 'ell, they want 100ish. Ain't happin'. Mark me up in the "desirable" catagory. I believe High cholesterol will be present every day I stand erect and take a breath. That's the real secret to long life - keep breathing.

BTW Geo, may or may not have said "liver". He said SO MUCH! Always does, NO more health talk at coffee - boring!!.

Phone

(wonder what temperature it would take to "melt" it rather than having it "chip off"?)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Inuit paradox is interesting when it comes to cholesterol and heart disease. It's talked about on lots of wacky and untrustworthy sites but i found the one that I've linked to by using Google scholar - a very handy tool.

It's interesting because it forces you to re-evaluate the connection between a high fat diet and high cholesterol and also because it rather blows the cold extremities hypothesis out of the water.

BTW, before going to bed last night, I discovered that despite the flag and eagle on his web pages, Dr. James Howenstine lives in Costa Rica where he relocated his clinic after a little run in with the FDA.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

sam fox (a bird who had her lady bumps out in most newspapers every week some time ago) said her tea would cure everything ,she's been in thousands of publications so it must be true

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Bai Lin Tea

Ali’s third wife, model Veronica Ali, introduced him to Bai Lin, a Chinese diet tea.[8] Foster obtained the rights for Bai Lin Tea for Australia where it was major success;[citation needed] however he was investigated by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC). Despite not being charged with an offence, the product came under intense media scrutiny due to the claim that the product could result in weight loss.[1] Foster expanded to South Africa, England and throughout Europe where he reportedly made over $30 million in the mid 1980s selling the tea, primarily in the United Kingdom.[12][verification needed]

In marketing the tea, Foster employed prominent people such as model Samantha Fox (whom he was dating), jockey Lester Piggott and Sarah, Duchess of York to endorse the tea and became a major sponsor of Chelsea F.C. in 1987 with the team wearing the Bai Lin Tea logo on their jerseys.[3][13] He was fined £21,000 in 1994 in the United Kingdom for a trading standards offence over Bai Lin Tea and in 1996 was jailed for breaching laws regarding his distribution of slimming granules.[1][10] Nine months later he absconded while on day release from open prison and went to Australia, though he was subsequently re-arrested and extradited back to England.[1][10]

Muhammad Ali and Peter Foster, 1983Testing showed Bai Lin Tea to be ordinary black China tea.[2] Samantha Fox had grown distant from him as she later admitted:

I'm old enough now to know that I'd never be taken in again by the likes of Peter Foster. But then, I was 22 and impressionable. My parents had split and here was a man who was clever, manipulative and domineering. I came close to marrying him because I was so vulnerable.

—Samantha Fox, quoted in Serial fraudster who keeps bouncing back, The Guardian, 6 December 2002[2]

Some time later Foster suggested that he and Fox make a film about their lives, but she sent a refusal via her lawyer.[14]

Source

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

dash no tongue in cheek icon ;):D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Is that merely to satisfy your doctor, or what? :unsure:

Yes indeed, I can't see how that will give you a health benefit.

Why not just be honest and tell the Dr like it is - or if you really can't be bothered then don't go and see him / her ?

Rob.

Sportsman,

Where's the Wrap-up?

Phone

Sorry Phone.

I found the results of the poll interesting in that they followed generally accepted wisdom that having high cholesterol levels in the blood is by and large a bad thing. What surprised me was how few people took positive steps to reduce their cholesterol. The use of statins probably reflects the slightly low average age of the repondents and that also probably explains the low numbers who use, for instance, a low cholesterol diet.

Young people are immortal ;)

I have high cholesterol and used to be on statins. It runs in my fathers side of the family and for years I have used skimmed milk and low fat spreads. I have also eaten a "healthy" low fat diet with lots of fruit and veg and because I used to shoot game and stalk deer lots of low cholesterol lean meat. Didn't make an atom of difference.

In 2000 I suffered a sever back injury and was paralysed from the waist down and in hospital. They were pumping me full of steroids to reduce the inflammation in my spinal cord (my dandruff cleared up and my skin has never looked so good. I glowed with health, still couldn't walk though) A side effect of high levels of steroid is to alter your blood chemistry and I developed type 2 diabetes (runs in my Mothers family, my Grandmother died of it in her 40s, just before they discovered insulin) I also developed seriously high serum cholesterol levels and slightly elevated blood pressure. I was started on all of the appropriate medications for the diabetes, Beta blockers for the blood pressure and Lipitor, a statin and the most widely prescribed drug in the world.

For the next 8 years I lived on a cocktail of these drugs and painkillers, I was also addicted to prescription codeine based pain killers. I can't honestly say I ever felt well. I had forgotten what feeling "normal" was like.

I decided to take a more active interest in my health in 2008. I came off the painkillers first, cold turkey and very unpleasant. I stopped taking the beta blockers and by monitoring my blood pressure carefully discovered that they had not been making any difference. Then I started looking at statins and what I found convinced me that they were not only unnecessary but probably downright dangerous so I stopped taking them as well.

Around then I fell out with my Dr who adopted a "I know best" attitude and wouldn't really discuss anything with me so I dumped him as well.

I still take my diabetes medication as I believe that my sugar levels are much more important to my heart health than my cholesterol levels. I no longer concur with my dietician about the "healthy" low fat / high carbohydrate diet though. A high fat/low carbohydrate diet has been shown repeatedly to be healthier and less likely to lead to obesity and ill health.

I still have high cholesterol but don't know how high as I never measure it. Whatever it is I will not be taking any treatment to lower it so why measure?

I have become more and more convinced that the major cause of heart disease is stress and that for years we have been conned by the big pharmaceutical companies and their stooge Drs. Most family Drs are too ignorant or too idle to find out anything for themselves and just go with whatever the establishment (or the last drug salesman) tells them.

Ponder this for a moment;

If we accept that stress, high levels or cortisol in the blood, causes heart disease and we know that high levels of cortisol causes type 2 diabetes and elevated cholesterol levels then it follows that sufferers of heart disease (caused by cortisol) would probably also have elevated cholesterol levels. Lowering the cholesterol levels with statins does nothing to alter the cortisol levels.

Therefore high cholesterol may well be a very good indicator of increased risk of heart disease (from cortisol) but it is not the cause.

I sincerely believe that the whole cholesterol/statin/heart disease edifice will be exposed and before too much longer.

Lastly I thought that it was significant that almost 50% believed that having low cholesterol was more desirable than high cholesterol.

For some people (men in their 40s and some older men with a pre-existing history of heart disease) this may be the case but again all of the evidence, particularly with reference to deaths from all causes shows the exact opposite. People with high cholesterol levels live longer. Cholesterol is a natural and vital part of our bodies. Without it we can not survive.

I wouldn't expect anyone to change their beliefs, attitudes or lifestyles based on what I say or think but I would urge anyone to do some basic research, don't assume that the medical establishment know what is best for you (they have been wrong so many many times before) and take a bit more control of your own health.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Sportsman,

Thx

Phone

(I just picked up my medications for 3 mo. $5000.00 You're fighting an up hill battle.)

not so "land of the free" after all forking that amount out would make me ill if i had it :o