Maxima line

Guest kevthebev

Guest kennyxuk

maxima is fine for feeder fishing but i wont use it when waggler fishing on canals or rivers when fishing for roach and chub as it sinks too far ond hinders the strike when fishing at long range

kennyxuk

Guest paul mc

hi kev

i personally use maxima for just about everything apart from hook lenths you can get bulk spools(600yds) for about £10. But there are different types of maxima. Maxima ivory, maxima chameleon, and green /brown maxima. the best and most expensive is the cameleon which is normally about £4 for 100m. As for nobody using it no more just look at some of the replys on this thread.

Regards Paul Mc

Guest Leon Roskilly

Not sure whether it's the saltwater, but I've found that lines degrade much more quickly when I use them for mullet fishing.

Using less than 5lb for a mainline, targetting the hardest fighting fish (lb for lb) which I know, I really cannot take any chances. So my mainline get's changed frequently.

All the other lines I've tried break down too quickly, and are costly to replace, so it's back to 'ol faithful Maxima, as the reel line.

However, I do use lower diameter line for the last couple of metres, and flurocarbon for the hooklength.

A word of warning, when Maxima degrades, it goes suddenly.

Always test it before going on a trip, and change it before it starts to show any sign of deterioation.

It's not worth the risk of losing a fish of a lifetime, when it finds the first sign of a line starting to deterioate, before you've even noticed it! frown.gif

Tight Lines - leon

Guest Alan Pearce

WARNING:

A couple of weeks ago I went into a tackle shop to bulk buy some Maxima (my fav line) and was told by the manager that they had returned all of there stocks due to a fault in the manufacturing. Complaints had been flooding in that their new stocks of Maxima had been breaking at well below its stated breaking strain.

My advice wouldbe to test it well before use in case you have gotsome from the same bad batch. I wound up purchasing some from another tackle shop which I was told was from last seasons stock, and after testing it, found it to be OK.

I remember a similar thing happening with Maxima some years ago, but only with the bulk spools.

Alan.

Guest chris

Usd it for donkeys years,but it is rather a thick line compared to some of the others now on the market.Never really had a problem with it,certainly a good all round line.

Chris.

Guest Steve Burke

I've used Maxima for years as it was the best sinking mono I'd tried until recently. Yes, it does suddenly degrade, but so does all mono. In fact I found Maxima to be more reliable and last much longer than most other lines.

It's not the thinnest line for it's breaking strain, but it's strength is much understated. For instance 4lb Maxima is equivalent to 5lb in most other makes. BTW, Drennan Specimen seems identical to Maxima but normally rated.

When I say "normally rated" I maen the dry, unknotted strength. Some lines, like Maxima, are rated on their wet breaking strain when knotted. Unfortunately, the suppliers rarely tell you which system they're using, and even then there's no proper standard.

Last year I finally found a sinking line I rate even better than Maxima. This is Pro Gold from Terry Eustace's company, Gold Label. You can see the results of my long term field test in the Reviews section of Angler's Net.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Originally posted by kevthebev:

How do you rate Maxima line for waggler & feeder fishing ?.

I have use Maxima line for the past few years and havn't had any problems yet.

600 mtr spools for roughly £12 can't go wrong at these prices.