What do you think is the most skillful part of fishing?

Guest big tinca

Guest framey

watercraft comes to mind but an angler fishing a match has to sit there and catch the the most fish at the worst time of the day(usually)whereas an angler who fishes rivers must know all the tricks.

I think location and application are 2 of the most skillful parts of angling

Guest doc_tench

I agree with all that has been said.

But if there is one mistake i see so many times is anglers not presenting their Baits over there loose feed or groundbait!!

While the fish munch on there groundbait there hookbait 10ft away gets totally overlooked!

biggrin.gif:

Guest dishyfishy

I think what makes our sport great is we have a lot of skills we know as much about water as the navy, as much about hunting as a marine and from the way iv'e seen these porky pigs being cast as much as the air force

Guest Big Nick

As a match angler the most common fault I see in others (and myself at times) is not feeding the swim correctly. I believe feeding a swim to create competition and not over feeding, or spooking the fish with great mounds of pilled in bait must be one of the most skilful aspects of angling.

Its simple, I think, little and often. Just wished I got it right more often!

------------------

Big Nick

Guest Bridgey

There are many skills that spring to mind: 1/The already mentioned accurate casting of a fly

2/Working those expensive lures at just the right speed to achieve just the correct depth in a snag ridden water, without losing them!

3/ Working a stick float down a swim with uneven depth, holding back at just the right time to keep the bait near the bottom but avoid the float dragging under.

But the greatest skill IMO: Studying the weather forcast, taking the previous couple of days in mind, then choosing the species, water, method and timing, and getting it right more often than not.

The most skilfull act of any angler has to be the most difficult to perform succesfully. That is knowing when a fish is going to eat, where it will eat, what it wants to eat and how to get it to eat your hookbait without scaring the living daylights out of it. Get these right and you will catch fish. Get just one wrong and struggle. The most skilfull angler with get these right more often than most.

--------------------

Best Wishes

Andrew Webster

Guest pikemaster39

To be at one with both the water and your target species, my grandad, bless him has always said that anyone can be taught to fish, an angler however is born.

tight lines and good luck on the 16th

------------------

Andi

http://www.sussex-pac.co.uk

SACN 0286

Guest bart4real

I think the most skillful part of fishing is the ability to listen to someone who knows nothing about what he is talking about, without giving in to the urge to shoot him down in flames. I would consider that to be very skillful as I am finding it increasingly more of a challenge everytime I go fishing. Firstly, the worst possible scenario is to have to listen to someone telling you that they do things different because they " do not agree with your method". They would have more credibility had they ever caught more fish or even the same amount. Secondly to have to listen to someone trying to explain to another angler how to fish a particular way, when what they are telling this unsuspecting person is the same information that you gave them the week before, which they forget to mention. That to me, is very difficult as I now only give out info to help catch more fish rather than for anglers to impress their mates with what they know.

Thirdly, to have to listen to " I would have beaten you if I had landed those fish that I lost". Fish only count when they are in the keepnet. There are probably other more difficult skills to master but for me, they are the hardest. The actual fishing isn't that difficult, its mostly commom sense after all, fish are not that difficult to outwit as they have to feed at some point.

Originally posted by big tinca:

Hello,

People who are 'non anglers' think fishing is just either patience or luck.

But we all know different don't we, so what do you think is the most skillful part of fishing?

Is it seting up rigs, watercraft etc,

Guest Zaphod

Ditto Alan,

Getting out of the house without the missus noticing (she has built in anti fishing radar)

Best Fishes

Del Boy