Was yesterday to hot for fishing

Danez

Went fishing yesterday but dident manage to start till 10am, took cheese paste, sweetcorn, bread, pellets and maggots. We had a terrible day, we were fishing a small still water with river running into it.

I havent fished it for a long time, but there are big chub, roach, big perch, pike.

Yesterday was terrible just the odd small perch and nothing else, water was warm, weather here was very hot in the sun, which was beating down on the water all day long.

Would you say this was less favourable conditions for fishing, or did some of you catch well in those conditions.

By the way i was fishing in Hertfordshire.

Just about the worst conditions you can get in my opinion. Oxygen levels will be very low and the fish are unlikely to feed. I've had some good catches after evening thunderstorms following days like that though - the really heavy rain cools and oxygenates the surface layers and often gets the better fish feeding on or near the surface. Can be a lot of fun fishing mixers when that happens :D

Just about the worst conditions you can get in my opinion. Oxygen levels will be very low and the fish are unlikely to feed. I've had some good catches after evening thunderstorms following days like that though - the really heavy rain cools and oxygenates the surface layers and often gets the better fish feeding on or near the surface. Can be a lot of fun fishing mixers when that happens :D

Looks like we are in for some rain today, might go back and try again at weekend.

Thanks

I prefer to fish evenings on really hot days, especially if theres a bit of a breeze! fishing 7pm till it's too dark to see the float can often be more productive than slogging it out all day in the sun at this time of year!

Mat

Mat

Yesterday was odd. The carp in my garden pond usually spook VERY easily. They don't have much contact with the outside world and are prety wild.

I actually stroked two of them yesterday. They just sat there and let me!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

At this time of the year the best way to get good results is to fish very early. The fish seem to stuff themselves early on and then, once it's hot, come up in the water and just bask in the sun. Being cold blooded, the warmth will speed up their digestion. When it cools off in the evening, then they start feeding again, but generally not as keenly as in the morning. Tench seem to be the worst for this unsociable behaviour!

we were fishing a small still water with river running into it.

The area where the fresh water is entering should have been good and especially on a day such as you describe.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

At this time of the year the best way to get good results is to fish very early. The fish seem to stuff themselves early on and then, once it's hot, come up in the water and just bask in the sun. Being cold blooded, the warmth will speed up their digestion. When it cools off in the evening, then they start feeding again, but generally not as keenly as in the morning. Tench seem to be the worst for this unsociable behaviour!

You have taken the words right out of my mouth Colin. I sometimes fish from around 04:30 til 07:30 (Three hours) before going to work and some of the best Tenching Ive had is at this time (and Crucians and Roach). Anglers who turn up at around 08:00 and fish during the day don't know what they have just missed and only very occasionally catch a Tench during the day. there is an evening feeding spell but as Coin says it is usually nowhere near as good as the early morning session. This may not be the same on all waters as another water close by fishes best in the evening; but enough to tell you that you might as well join the fish and have a kip (although being warm blooded you would be better off in the shade) once the sun comes up at this time of year on most still waters.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I don't normally like bright weather for fishing unless the pike are up for some surface japes. Brown Trout can sometimes become active in bright weather but I tend to find they prefer it dull/miserable and usually wet/cold.

Bright weather is usually a killer when there are perch present. If it's too bright, I rarely even bother trying for them.

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...