The Beginners Question – Which tackle…..

craynerd

Hi All,

So this is yet another beginner’s question, I bet you get them all the time however I have used the search and found nothing……so here goes.

I’m 21 y/o and a student, I fished for about one year when I was about 15 and after selling all my tackle I now want to start again…

I live in UK Manchester so I will be fishing for the usual easy pickings to start with, pirch..ect….fishin mainly in lodges and occasionally in slow running river.

My question comes with the tackle…..there is so much option I haven’t a clue what to buy….what is the difference between the £10 reel and £130 reel, the £20 telescopic rod and the £130 rod ???

I would love some actual names of products to buy, I don’t want really poor quality cheapo stuff, but then again can’t hit top of the range! I just need the basics to set me off….rod, reel, floats, line strength, hook size ….what else?

Like I say anything you can tell me before I go out and buy my stuff…….what are your views on eBay for fishing tackle ?

Look forward to the Reply

Chris R

[ 21. February 2005, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: craynerd ]

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would look at 'Used Tackle' ads for a rod. I would also look at Ron Thompson. A 'search' on this site for those words should throw up some useful information. And I would certainly look at Okuma reels. In reality, the difference between a £10.00 rod and one of £130.00 might just be a label and £120.00, and I'm not joking!! Tackle snobs and tarts keep the £130.00 rod market alive and well!

E.Bay is great, if you know what you are looking at, and what it really is worth. Some stuff goes for stupid prices, either way!

[ 21. February 2005, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

I agree with Peter. I got my nephew started on fishing last year and I got him a Ron Thompson rod and an Okuma reel as I didn't want to spend a fortune setting him up for him to then decide he didn't like fishing after all. Both are quality peices of kit for the price I paid, so much so that I have been known to 'borrow' them when he's not around :D .

I got them from http://www.fishtec.co.uk/ the rod cost £30 and the reel £16 but there are loads of places you could try.

With regards to Ebay again, I agree with Peter. If you know what you are looking at then you can get some great bargains but there is a lot of rubbish on there too.

Welcome to AN by the way !

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Where in the republic of Mancunia are you?, if you have transport theres a good tackle shop with cheap but reliable rods reels etc in Handforth http://www.nwac.co.uk/ Trev's Tackle 13-17, The Paddock Handforth Wilmslow Cheshire SK9 3HG.

Tel: 01625 528831 this is only 8 miles from south manchester, or if stretford is closer try Trafford Angling Supplies34, Moss Rd, Stretford, Manchester, Lancashire M32 0AY Tel: 0161 864 1211

if bits and pieces fishing trevs tackle (now part of NWAC) do rod reel deals as in buy the rod say a John Wilson 11ft float/quiver rod approx 40 quid and they will chuck in a very good okuma reel with spare spool

[ 21. February 2005, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Jonah13 ]

That sounds good!! Thanks for the help guys.

I`m in City Centre as i`m at Uni here, but i`m only from Bury north Manch.!!

Just been on that site.....i know it each to their own but as i know nothing....if i was to say pick a rod and reel or rod reel deal what would u buy! I`m on a budget but if something is a lot better i`d rather pay the difference.....

anything on here that you would choose.

http://www.nwac.co.uk/acatalog/Match_Rod_a...ombo_Deals.html

seems a decent site?

Also the post above mentions 11ft rod, i got told i wanted a 12-13ft , thats the only info or help i have been given! Is this true?

Sorry if i sound lazy or asking you lot to do the work only i`d rather you suggest the rod than me have a random guess, probably choose the one with the nicest picture! lol

chris R

Here fishy fishy.......

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

Actual i notice on all of these even when u click on the Rod on their own, most include a "free" reel......

any personal choices?

Here fishy fishy.......

The Ron Thompson Panther match rod and DAM reel for £29.99, looks pretty servicable to me, if its general float fishing you are after.

Ive not used Ron Thompson gear myself but most of the kit out of the Svenson Sports stable (of which DAM are now part), seems to be of decent enough quality.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.